KCOM & Oklahoma State

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

juliedoo

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! I just got invited to my first two interviews! :oops: )!!! At Kirksville and in Oklahoma. I was wondering if anyone might have some advice I could use in regards to how I should prepare! Or where on the net could I look for some interview prep tips. I was also wondering if any students from these schools could show me around or know of a place I could stay. I've never been to Missouri or Oklahoma before, and am arriving a little early to take advantage of seeing the place. Any possible tour guides out there? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

go to <a href="http://www.interviewfeedback.com" target="_blank">http://www.interviewfeedback.com</a> to get interview info on the schools. I interviewed at both and the process is very similar. ONly diff. is that i had three interviews at KCOM and two at OSU-COM. KCOm has a program set up where you can stay with a student, which I would recommend. You can learn so much about the school by staying with someone; a lot of inside info that may not come across in your tour or interview. Both interview processes are laid back and very enjoyable.

Hello,

I am a second year student at OSU the interviews are pretty relaxed. I just basically had to talk about my strengths etc. the typical stuff. I was asked about what the physicians role is in the community, and where I see myself in ten years. The schedule is different this year than in years past. It is now an all day event. You have to interviews followed by lunch and a tour of the hospital and school. I would recommend you call the school and ask for student admissions department and they will get you a ride from the airport and could possibly set you up with someone to stay with.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks bustinbooty and adjsmj. Interviewfeedback.com was great. A world of help. It's nice to hear that they were both low pressure interviews. But an interview is still an interview and to me, relaxing cannot be in the same sentence. I have called both schools to see if I can stay with a student. Hopefully it will all work out. I'm still planning on coming early and staying a little later. Is there any place in particular in Kirskville that I should check out? Is there a cheap place to stay in Kansas City which you guys might recommend? Thanks for the help. I'm going to go talk to myself in the mirror now (interview prep). :p

KC is a good little distance to stay from Krisville (2.5 to 3 hours, depending on the way you go and who is driving), but it has been my experience that <a href="http://www.priceline.com" target="_blank">www.priceline.com</a> is the way to go for larger cities, like KC and Tulsa. I stayed in the Doubletree in KC twice for only 25/night (normally $249/night) because of priceline. They also saved me considerably once in Tulsa at the Courtyard by Marriot. Priceline fills empty rooms that are projected to stay empty, so the price is much lower. The hotel has no idea how much you paid, so you are treated the same (same free meals, etc).

Otherwise, if you would rather stay in Kirksville, the Days Inn offers a KCOM rate that is about $50/night, I believe. Check their website for their number, then call for that rate. It isn't available online. Good luck on your interviews!

juliedoo,
I agree that as long as you know yourself and your motivations, the best "prep" for the KCOM interview is to check out interviewfeedback.com and review your app. Really though, don't sweat your interview at Kirksville too much. KCOM was my first interview and I was very nervous even though I felt confident and prepared going into it. My interviewers, as was everyone at KCOM, were very nice and really did just want to know what I was about aside from grades and scores. Not threatening at all. The day was longer than other interview experiences I had, but I think it speaks for KCOM's attentiveness to its students. They make sure to address any questions or concerns prospective students may have. I encourage you to go to KCOM with questions, as your interviewers and the students will give you plenty of opportunities to ask them. I'm sure you've heard this before, but just be yourself and take as much in as possible. Best.

juliedoo,

Congratulations on your interview here at KCOM. I can't emphasize enough that though it is an interview, it is really comparitively laid-back experience. Yes, it can get a bit long, however, it is a great opportunity for you to really learn about the school and what the students are like. I am one of the student ambassadors, so maybe I'll meet you when you interview. If not, ask for Sweaty Paul and someone will find me. In the meantime, if you have any specific questions concerning KCOM let me know, and I'll be happy to give you my perspective. Best of luck.

Sweaty