KCOM vs NOVA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Raggaman

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got accepted to both NOVA and KCOM and now I am having a hard time in making up my mind in where to go. I like KCOM alot but I am not particularly found of the location itself -but living is cheap. NOVA has a great location but living is very expensive. I was just wondering how many of you would choose one or the other? And why?(If this thread has been discussed already, let me know)

Members don't see this ad.

Raggaman said:
I got accepted to both NOVA and KCOM and now I am having a hard time in making up my mind in where to go. I like KCOM alot but I am not particularly found of the location itself -but living is cheap. NOVA has a great location but living is very expensive. I was just wondering how many of you would choose one or the other? And why?(If this thread has been discussed already, let me know)

Go for Florida.

You'll be a doctor---you can pay it back.

Happiness should supercede all with an assurance of future economic stability.

Cost of living is important though. Economic stability isn't a guarantee. Doctors aren't making as much money as they once were. I know of a pediatrician in Chicago who is only working part time because jobs in Peds are so scarce. Imagine having a $2,000 per month student loan payment...forget about a house unless your spouse is contributing too.

And truly, how much time are you going to spend in leisure activities during the next four years?

Just a thought...I don't know enough about either school to make a fair assessment. I did apply to KCOM because of location, but for different reasons. I want to raise my kids in a small community; especially since I will be absent for most of the next several years. Their public school system looks decent and that was important to me.

Members don't see this ad :)
KHep said:
Cost of living is important though. Economic stability isn't a guarantee. Doctors aren't making as much money as they once were. I know of a pediatrician in Chicago who is only working part time because jobs in Peds are so scarce. Imagine having a $2,000 per month student loan payment...forget about a house unless your spouse is contributing too.

And truly, how much time are you going to spend in leisure activities during the next four years?

Just a thought...I don't know enough about either school to make a fair assessment. I did apply to KCOM because of location, but for different reasons. I want to raise my kids in a small community; especially since I will be absent for most of the next several years. Their public school system looks decent and that was important to me.

If you are going to be so narrow-minded as to only work in urban areas, then yes, you may not find a job. There are rural areas in every state that have shortages of physicians. Most states have programs that even repay your loans if you promise to work in these underserved areas.

Speaking of recreation---Florida vs. North Missouri. Think about it.

I had to make the exact same decision. I obviously chose NSU, but for me it wasn't much of a choice at all.

KCOM has a very good reputation academically but the school just didn't fit me. NSU (I think) has a nearly academic reputation, I specifically liked the curriculum better and the way the schedule and rotations were set up during third and fourth years. For me, the choice came down to where I was most comfortable.

One very important thing to note: KCOM and NSU have the same "budget" for a year within a few hundred dollars. At NSU, the cost of living is higher but tuition is lower. At KCOM, tuition is higher and cost of living is lower. In the end; you pay the same...and you will likely be nearly equally in debt.

I would suggest sitting down and figuring out which school "fits" you best.

Ultimately ever school has it's strengths and weaknesses. As a 2nd year, looking back at the decision making process, there was no way to know how happy I would be a KCOM. You'll find that a lot KCOM students are actually from larger cities (like myself). I have wished on SEVERAL occasions that the town was larger, and there was more stuff to do. I stress several, because by SEVERAL I mean 3 or 4 weekends in almost a two year period. Most every other weekday and weekend our main focus is becoming good physicians. Whether that's studying for Anatomy, Biochem, Pathology, Pharm, etc. However, there are many of our free weekends that we get together with our friends to go bowling, bar crawl (if that's your thing), play intramurals, fish, hunt, go to the cinema, etc.

Put simply, don't choose one school or another on the town. Choose the school that you feel will make you the best physician you can be. In addition, something that is not well known when entering med school, is that where you do you residency is actually more important than where you do medical education. I feel that KCOM gives their students a great oppurtunity in every speciality to excel and get chosen is some of the most prestigous residencies.
Refer to these sites:
http://www.kcom.edu/admissns/pdfs/Residency_Info_2003.pdf
http://www.nova.edu/~ltokayer/INTRES04 Web.html

To address the financial issue, to say that living in a high cost of living area won't affect your budget because the school tuition is lower is false. You will end up with less debt from KCOM than the majority of non-state funded osteopathic schools.
Refer to these two sites:
http://medicine.nova.edu/comsas/forms/standard_budget.pdf
http://www.atsu.edu/atsu/financial_services/pdf/do/Freshman_budget.pdf

So what kaikai said was right, partially. The budget is the same (for out of state) for both schools. What is different though is the amount of personal money you have. In addition the NSUCOM housing budget is way low. Housing in Florida for $10,000 (including utilities and cable) not likely. I pay roughly $550 for a two bedroom w/ garage, all utilities, cable tv, and DSL. = $6,000. What you don’t see on the budget statements is how many of the students have to take out private loans, because the cap is at $52,000. Very few students need private loans here (they are usually my peers with children). I don’t believe that will be the case at NOVA, but because of my ignorance I open the point up to current students at NOVA.

I hope this helps a little. Remember, if you care about people and work hard, you’ll be a great physician no matter where you go. Best of luck to each of you in your up coming years in medical students.

See you soon at a hospital near you