KCOM vs. Touro-NY

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bocciball

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I've been accepted to both of these schools and the deadlines are coming up. Can people attending each/knowledge outline the pros and cons? I really liked both schools.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi All,

I've been accepted to both of these schools and the deadlines are coming up. Can people attending each/knowledge outline the pros and cons? I really liked both schools but I am from NE so its tough. Close to home or go to a school with good placement and 97% pass rate on the tests.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Tuition & Fees
KCOM:40K
Touro-NY: 32K

Touro-NY: Metropolitan

Facilities
KCOM: First DO school.Not sure how updated or new their facilties are.
Touro-NY: Brand new up-to-date eqiupments and facilites.

3rd rotation
KCOM:No electives 3rd year.
Touro-NY:Urban hospitals and 2 months Electives( to do whatever).
**UPDATE**:Not everyone knows what they want to specialize in, so electives can give you the opportunity to "test the waters".

KCOM: First DO school. Great rep in the DO community.
Touro-NY: ????. New school. I think it'll make a name for itself.The Dean was from NYCOM.

Since you're from the northeast I'd say go with Touro-NY.It's cheaper and you're close to home. I'd probably drink cyanide than live in rural missouri but that's just me :cool:

Last edited:
KCOM was building new facilities when I was there last year, and it was really nice. It looked like it was almost done.

Members don't see this ad :)
Tuition & Fees
KCOM:40K
Touro-NY: 32K

Touro-NY: Metropolitan

Facilities
KCOM: First DO school.Not sure how updated or new their facilties are.
Touro-NY: Brand new up-to-date eqiupments and facilites.

3rd rotation
KCOM:No electives 3rd year.
Touro-NY:Urban hospitals and 2 months Electives( to do whatever).
**UPDATE**:Not everyone knows what they want to specialize in, so electives can give you the opportunity to "test the waters".

KCOM: First DO school. Great rep in the DO community.
Touro-NY: ????. New school. I think it'll make a name for itself.The Dean was from NYCOM.

Since you're from the northeast I'd say go with Touro-NY.It's cheaper and you're close to home. I'd probably drink cyanide than live in rural missouri but that's just me :cool:

Hi,
I go to TOURONY but I believe that Andextrous summed it up best. do you have a specific question in mind?

I don't really believe Touro-NY is cheaper when all is said and done. The cost of living is astronomical compared to Kirksville. Even if you wanted to commute, you are still paying with your time.

3rd year electives don't really mean much. Unless you're a stud, most programs won't remember you that well if you treat it like an audition rotation. Especially with all the 4th years kissing arse for a LOR.

I don't really believe Touro-NY is cheaper when all is said and done. The cost of living is astronomical compared to Kirksville. Even if you wanted to commute, you are still paying with your time.

3rd year electives don't really mean much. Unless you're a stud, most programs won't remember you that well if you treat it like an audition rotation. Especially with all the 4th years kissing arse for a LOR.

New York can be incredibly expensive or reasonably cheap. It all depends on how you want to live. When I was in college(here in New York), I lived with 3 guys and my rent was $300-350/month. After cell phone bill, Metrocard, electricity and food, my monthly bill was around $600. If you're single, NY can be flexible. Just don't fall into the trap that a lot of out-of-staters do and decide you wanna live in glamorous Manhattan neighborhoods because they saw it on TV.

Secondly, 3rd year electives are very important if I may say. It gives the undecideds the chance to try out specialties to see which one they like instead of waiting till 4th year when it may be too late(some programs start interviewing for spots as early as October) . Also, for those who know what they already want to do, it's a chance to solidify their interest and perhaps learn some cool things. That way when they start their 4th year sub-i they can shine and not look like an arse in front of the attending.

It's not the end of the world if a school doesn't have 3rd year electives but it can make life a little easier.

A big question whether you prefer rural or urban......... both schools are completely different in that aspect.

A big question whether you prefer rural or urban......... both schools are completely different in that aspect.

Bingo,
If I had to guess both schools are pretty much the same inside and by that I mean similar books, similar theater classroom that you sit in for hours on end, etc. It is a question of what environment that you want to spend your off time in.

I'd have to disagree with this. A lot of people decide they don't want to stay in the area that their school is in, and electives give you a big advantage as seeing what hospitals you like/like you, as well as getting to know the people there so when you apply and interview they can say "oh hey it's you!" instead of "nice to meet you."

Keep in mind, however, that most big university hospitals will not take third year medical students, so while having third year electives is good, don't think you can use them to do a rotation at Mass General. If you have hospitals in mind already that you think you may want to do a residency at, you can usually find this information out on their website.