KCU-COM class of 2020

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Even though orientation and the start of classes is a long time away I am looking forward to it!

The hard part of applying, writing secondaries, and interviewing is over :clap:

Reactions: 2 users
Even though orientation and the start of classes is a long time away I am looking forward to it!

The hard part of applying, writing secondaries, and interviewing is over :clap:

I know right!? So happy our cycle ended early. Class of 2020!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :nod:

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats on getting in. KCU is an amazing school with an amazing feel.

Reactions: 4 users
Proud to be joining this group!

The time between your acceptance and when school starts is the sweet spot in life. Enjoy it.

I can still remember getting my acceptance letter in the mail as if it was just yesterday!

Reactions: 6 users
The time between your acceptance and when school starts is the sweet spot in life. Enjoy it.

I can still remember getting my acceptance letter in the mail as if it was just yesterday!

This is SO true. You won't realize it till you start school. Take advantage of every minute you can spend doing things you love.

This is SO true. You won't realize it till you start school. Take advantage of every minute you can spend doing things you love.

I'm honestly still running on the memories of the great times I had the year between getting accepted and starting. The end of July will come quicker than you think and from there on you're going to be caught up in a swell that you never could imagine. I sincerely recommend you use your time from now on to make real and valuable memories that will be able to not only motivate you, but also give you a reason for fighting through medical school because the first two months will very literally pick away at your psyche.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm honestly still running on the memories of the great times I had the year between getting accepted and starting. The end of July will come quicker than you think and from there on you're going to be caught up in a swell that you never could imagine. I sincerely recommend you use your time from now on to make real and valuable memories that will be able to not only motivate you, but also give you a reason for fighting through medical school because the first two months will very literally pick away at your psyche.

Thanks for the advice!

Can I have dibs on your med kit if you're selling it? Hahahaha

Hello~ I made it ^^

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi :happy:

Reactions: 1 users
Has anyone received any emails about what's next? They said the next few days and I haven't gotten anything.

Has anyone received any emails about what's next? They said the next few days and I haven't gotten anything.
It was over 2 weeks before I received the email about next steps. It will come to you. The info is pretty basic with a link to the matriculation site to pay deposits and your student ID number. It's pretty anticlimactic.

Reactions: 1 users
Keep track of that student number! I remember scrambling to find that email when we actually needed it for financial aid stuff in the spring haha.

And the matriculation page should update as things get closer (only disadvantage to getting in so early is having to wait so long for actual info haha) but you'll get everything eventually!

It was over 2 weeks before I received the email about next steps. It will come to you. The info is pretty basic with a link to the matriculation site to pay deposits and your student ID number. It's pretty anticlimactic.

I got mine Friday and I was accepted a week ago! So sounds about right with the wait

I think I saw on the website there's a wait list. I assume it moves near the end of the year.

Tangential but I secretly hope you become the next rendition of goro in the future give your username

Since there aren't any apts available at the moment (that I know of), everyone gets put on a waitlist until CT knows who's moving out at the end of the school year. I think there's usually about 100 apts that open on average most years so they keep the waitlist going until they reach that point.

If you're ever concerned about your spot or applying, you can call Gia at CT and they'll help you out!

$175.00 fee to be placed on the wait list at CT...I know it goes towards deposit and carpet cleaning but I was hoping it wouldn't be so steep. Guess I'll keep looking at apartments in the area before I put that much down.

$175.00 fee to be placed on the wait list at CT...I know it goes towards deposit and carpet cleaning but I was hoping it wouldn't be so steep. Guess I'll keep looking at apartments in the area before I put that much down.
Wow that is pretty expensive...

Are you matriculating for sure?? just wondering!

Last edited by a moderator:
So, I would highly recommend you all check out some apartments in the City, North KC, Downton. There are plenty of good 1 bedroom apartments for between 800-1000 bucks that offer you a lot of amenities and are closer to things you will enjoy ( Power & Light, Farmers Market, Grocery stores, etc).

Living in CT is the right choice for a lot of people, but if you're interested in a more private building that's allows you some distance from medical school there are many affordable choices. If you decide to work with the school's realtor do remember however that there are places that you will have to personally request and may be some of the best quality places in the town.

Reactions: 4 users
So, I would highly recommend you all check out some apartments in the City, North KC, Downton. There are plenty of good 1 bedroom apartments for between 800-1000 bucks that offer you a lot of amenities and are closer to things you will enjoy ( Power & Light, Farmers Market, Grocery stores, etc).

Living in CT is the right choice for a lot of people, but if you're interested in a more private building that's allows you some distance from medical school there are many affordable choices. If you decide to work with the school's realtor do remember however that there are places that you will have to personally request and may be some of the best quality places in the town.

Thanks for your post! Do you have any resources as to where to start looking?

Hello all, I will be attending KCUMB next year in the Fall semester and wanted to get some pointers on what are the best places to live in terms of location, price, and the general environment/living condition. I saw Century Tower has 3 different sizes and I am very much interested in the 2 bed/2 bath room that is 822 sq. ft. When I called, the price ranged from $905-$940. I'd definitely like to find a roommate so we can split that cost in half which I think is a rather great price for how close it is. Still, I want to keep my options open and would take suggestions from other nearby places to live in. If you are interested in being roommates, please message me and we can work something out. I can add you on Facebook and we can join the Class of 2020 group. Thanks.

Thanks for your post! Do you have any resources as to where to start looking?

I choose my apartment essentially by googling around and calling a few places. There are two apt complexes on walnut, there are a few on broadway, one in market station, and then there are more suburban complexes such as in North KC or Briar Cliff. Personally my apt is close enough to Main st. that I pretty much only need my car for going to school or on the highway ( I still drive to the grocery store because I'm a slug and walking 5 minutes is awful lol XD).

But yah, the thing about Kansas City that you need to know is that the city is very lively and very livable. There's a lot to do and a lot of interesting things within the area as well as multiple events happening all the time. Which is why I might personally recommend opting to live in closer to the city than CT ( Though mind you CT is only 5 minutes away from Main st anyway).

Hello all, I will be attending KCUMB next year in the Fall semester and wanted to get some pointers on what are the best places to live in terms of location, price, and the general environment/living condition. I saw Century Tower has 3 different sizes and I am very much interested in the 2 bed/2 bath room that is 822 sq. ft. When I called, the price ranged from $905-$940. I'd definitely like to find a roommate so we can split that cost in half which I think is a rather great price for how close it is. Still, I want to keep my options open and would take suggestions from other nearby places to live in. If you are interested in being roommates, please message me and we can work something out. I can add you on Facebook and we can join the Class of 2020 group. Thanks.

Walnut Tower 2 br is about 1010 ( personally I think its depressing); Market Station is about 13 to 14 something; 909Walnut is 1500ish I think; and quality Hill is about 1400. Likewise there are plenty of complexes around the city that are in good locations that I cannot think of off the top of my head where you can find 2 br for about 1200-1300ish.

But honestly for most buildings you're going to get what you pay for. If you rent at Walnut Tower your apartment isn't going to be fantastic and I honestly thought it was a dump. Likewise if you're renting at 909 or market station your apt will be much more appealing and livable.

Any opinions on the lofts in river market or crossroads? They average 600-700 for a single and 900 for a 2 bedroom.

I can finally post here :)

Reactions: 5 users
What do most students tend to do? Live not their own or with a roommate? Or it is entirely preferential.

Any opinions on the lofts in river market or crossroads? They average 600-700 for a single and 900 for a 2 bedroom.
Look into if those lofts have income restrictions. Many lofts downtown/crossroads/river market are like that and I'm not sure if as a student you are eligible to live in those buildings.

Look into if those lofts have income restrictions. Many lofts downtown/crossroads/river market are like that and I'm not sure if as a student you are eligible to live in those buildings.

True, many of the lofts downtown have income restrictions and state that they do not allow full time students.

Personally, I am looking strongly into either Market Station Apartments, Quality Hill, or Walnut Tower apartments. Although, I will be living with my S/O, so my situation may be different from others on here.

I live in CityView Apartments in NKC which is about 5-10 minutes away from campus. I like it a lot because it's away from the main city so it's quiet but not so far away that you'd feel like it'd be a hassle to go downtown.

Wanted to share this with all of you: our guest speaker this Wednesday is Dr. Leonardo Calabrese who is a KCU Alum. He's the Chairman of Clinical Immunology, Vice Chairman for the Rheumatic and Immunological Diseases Department, and Professor of Medicine for the Cleveland Clinic Lerner College of Medicine of Case Western Reserve University. Here's one of his latest reviews in Nature Rheumatology: http://www.nature.com/nrrheum/journal/v11/n2/full/nrrheum.2014.167.html

If any of you are interested in hearing him speak it'll probably be offered through the KCU YouTube channel so be on the look out for it.

True, many of the lofts downtown have income restrictions and state that they do not allow full time students.

Personally, I am looking strongly into either Market Station Apartments, Quality Hill, or Walnut Tower apartments. Although, I will be living with my S/O, so my situation may be different from others on here.
Market station and quality hill are nice. I'd avoid Walnut Tower due to the apartments being tiny.

Hello future classmates! Does anyone know if parking on campus is free?

Deposit paid. KCU here I come!:banana:

Reactions: 3 users
Dear class of 2020,

Let's not be gunners

Cheers!

Reactions: 8 users