ACOM vs NYITCOM (Jonesboro) vs KCU-Joplin

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ChooChooDoc

Reaction score
Hey y'all, I could use a little help deciding between these osteopathic schools. I never expected to receive an "A" and now I don't know how to pare down my options. Thank you again in advance. All three schools gave me a good feel from their interview days.

ACOM (AlabamaCOM)
Pros
  • Solid Rotation sites
  • Higher COMLEX pass rate than NYITCOM
Cons
  • Letter grade system
  • Less well established school

KCU-Joplin
Pros
  • Cheapest tuition
  • H/P/F grading system
  • Older school, more name recognition
  • Brand new campus
Cons
  • Farthest from Home/Support network
  • Reddit/SDN chatter about living in Joplin

NYITCOM (Jonesboro)
Pros
  • P/F
  • Nonmandatory Lectures
Cons
  • Most expensive tuition (66k)
  • High Remediation (Have mostly seen this rumored on SDN)

Summary: Awaiting two MD decisions and holding out for any last interviews. Between KCU, NYITCOM, and ACOM, I need to decide which school to give my deposit to before 12/14. Ideally would like to go PM&R for residency.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
ACOM is a decent school. I know little about the other two.

For what it's worth, basically every academic medical center is surrounded by violent crime because that's where the traumas are. Now some DO schools aren't because they don't have access to massive trauma centers, but I wouldn't let crime be a huge factor of which school you pick.

From what you've said I'd go with ACOM. Also, don't underestimate the importance of being near family, wherever that is.

ACOM is a decent school. I know little about the other two.

For what it's worth, basically every academic medical center is surrounded by violent crime because that's where the traumas are. Now some DO schools aren't because they don't have access to massive trauma centers, but I wouldn't let crime be a huge factor of which school you pick.

From what you've said I'd go with ACOM. Also, don't underestimate the importance of being near family, wherever that is.
Thanks for the advice! Anything I should know about ACOM? and all three schools are 9+ hours away from home so I should look at local airports as much as driving distance. I currently live by a Level 1 on the East Coast and have never had a problem with crime, so glad to hear that there it isn't an additional concern.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the advice! Anything I should know about ACOM? and all three schools are 9+ hours away from home so I should look at local airports as much as driving distance. I currently live by a Level 1 on the East Coast and have never had a problem with crime, so glad to hear that there it isn't an additional concern.
I just texted my friend who has a brother there.

"Good faculty, resources, big class size, so there is a pocket of people for every type of person, and I'm shooting for surgery and ACOM has multiple people match in surgery every year."

Reach out to all of these schools, though, and see if they have students who'd be willing to speak to you. And if they don't that by itself is a red flag....

I just texted my friend who has a brother there.

"Good faculty, resources, big class size, so there is a pocket of people for every type of person, and I'm shooting for surgery and ACOM has multiple people match in surgery every year."

Reach out to all of these schools, though, and see if they have students who'd be willing to speak to you. And if they don't that by itself is a red flag....
Thanks for the information! I really appreciate it and my decision has only gotten more difficult after last week. I received my first MD "A" and have a lot of thinking to do before the 14th.

As someone who goes to nyit Jonesboro, I’d say kcu Joplin or nyit if you feel confident you’ll do well first semester, remediation, being held back a year and academic probation for the next school yr start sucks