KCU-KC vs TUCOM vs TUNCOM vs LECOM-Erie vs PCOM-PA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Which DO school would you rather attend?

• KCU-KC

• TUCOM

• TUNCOM

• LECOM-Erie

• PCOM-PA

Results are only viewable after voting.
D

deleted1131301

I haven't created a full pro/con list for these DO schools yet because I am still on the WL for two MD schools that I would prefer to attend, so here are just some early thoughts of mine:

- I want to pursue some kind of surgical specialty, so I think PCOM or KCU would be better choices. Having the chance to pursue a competitive specialty means a lot to me, but I don't know how much selection bias plays a role in the match lists that I have looked at (For instance, TUCOM is heavily focused on training primary care physicians, so they don't have many matches in competitive specialties. Maybe that is just the result of having more students who choose primary care?)
- Weather at TUCOM and TUNCOM seems nice, so I could play sports outside more and be happier overall (weather is just a minor factor in my decision making)
- I don't care too much about location, but I have heard that the KCU-KC campus is not in the nicest/safest area (not sure how much this matters or how different it is compared to other schools)
- Feels like there is more stuff to do for fun in Philly and Vegas compared to Vallejo, Erie, and KC?
- Cost isn't a huge factor, but I think the tuition at LECOM-Erie is significantly cheaper
- TUCOM has a small class size, so maybe I would develop better friendships (conversely, the other schools have larger class sizes, so there would be more classmates to meet)
- I think PCOM and TUNCOM have nearby clinical sites, so I wouldn't have to move around much during rotations (not sure what the other schools are like, aside from TUCOM having rotations within specific regions of CA)
- PCOM and KCU seem to have better research opportunities (important for getting into more competitive specialties)
- It would be nice to have less mandatory in-person attendance (I generally prefer to study on my own, and then meet with others to test knowledge)

Here is a very rough estimate of how I would currently rank my choices:

PCOM - #1
KCU - #2
TUNCOM - #3
TUCOM - #4
LECOM - #5

Any advice or responses?
Thanks friends

Members don't see this ad.

I would choose PCOM due to its reputation and larger number of opportunities compared to most DO schools. I think most people will vote for them on your poll as well.

Reactions: 1 users
I would choose PCOM due to its reputation and larger number of opportunities compared to most DO schools. I think most people will vote for them on your poll as well.
How do you think their reputation and opportunities compare to KCU?

How do you think their reputation and opportunities compare to KCU?
I think PCOM has more research opportunities and residency programs like for ortho. Those tend to be the major reasons it is well known. Both are part of the original DO schools though and have a good reputation.

Reactions: 1 user