KCUMB Class of 2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Wo1verine7DO said:
There will be between 230 and 250...but not all may show up the first day of class due to a change or plans or they switch to another school...but if there is more than 250, there's something wrong cause then 10 people will have no chairs cause Ricci only hold's 250 max...and Classroom B holds even less...,

Hey just so you guys know they added seats to classroom B at the end of the year. So there could be more than 250 people but I doubt it by the time classes start. Just thought I would add this.
talk to you later,
Angela

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys,
I hate to turn your thread into one big bulletin board but I have a Welch-Allyn otoscope/opthalmoscope I need to sell since I am about to get out of town for rotations. I thought I would give you guys first crack at it before I put it on E-bay. I paid $300 bucks for it and I have used it less than 5 times. I will part from it for $225. It comes in handy during ICM labs and especially in 2nd year when you have to do Score-One-For Health screenings. PM me if your interested.

Members don't see this ad :)
danwsu said:
I think we had to buy one of those with our equipment fee.

Yes, but the question is have you already bought it? I know they put it in your budget but you still have to purchase it yourself, correct? This may be something new.

BamaAlum said:
Yes, but the question is have you already bought it? I know they put it in your budget but you still have to purchase it yourself, correct? This may be something new.

i guess this is something new starting with the 2008 class. they gave out a manditory list of medical equipment that we had to buy from their approved vendor, and not just parts of the list, but EVERYTHING at once. and we had to give it to them like by july 1st or something or else we lost our seat in the class. basically the only person in the 2008 class that is gonna buy that from you is someone who does not know what they have already bought, or is trying to be nice, because everyone should have already given their money to kcumb for all of the equipment, and then kcumb will go off and buy all of the equipment for us during the first week of class.

consequently, those of us taking the scholarship, i got my check back in the mail a few days ago uncashed....

cooldreams said:
consequently, those of us taking the scholarship, i got my check back in the mail a few days ago uncashed....

Dood the most vocal member of our class has left it.

cooldreams said:
i guess this is something new starting with the 2008 class. they gave out a manditory list of medical equipment that we had to buy from their approved vendor, and not just parts of the list, but EVERYTHING at once. and we had to give it to them like by july 1st or something or else we lost our seat in the class. basically the only person in the 2008 class that is gonna buy that from you is someone who does not know what they have already bought, or is trying to be nice, because everyone should have already given their money to kcumb for all of the equipment, and then kcumb will go off and buy all of the equipment for us during the first week of class.

Dude that sucks! Seems like they are getting more militant by the year. They just told us what we needed to buy and we did or didn't buy it. I just found out today that they are gonna make us have assigned seats and take attendance for the rest of our summer session (b/c someone whined and said we weren't taking it seriously). Be forewarned, UHS is a great school but the administration will change the rules on you in the middle of the game. Thanks for the heads up, though. I'll go ahead and put it on Ebay. Good luck this coming year, it'll go by so fast.

danwsu said:
Dood the most vocal member of our class has left it.

oh dont worry, ill still be around to throw in my annoying 2 cents every now and then, plus in a year you get to look forward to me asking you "noobish" ms1 questions that are common sense to you.. hehe :laugh:

BamaAlum said:
Dude that sucks! Seems like they are getting more militant by the year. They just told us what we needed to buy and we did or didn't buy it. I just found out today that they are gonna make us have assigned seats and take attendance for the rest of our summer session (b/c someone whined and said we weren't taking it seriously). Be forewarned, UHS is a great school but the administration will change the rules on you in the middle of the game. Thanks for the heads up, though. I'll go ahead and put it on Ebay. Good luck this coming year, it'll go by so fast.

Assigned seats? Is this something we'll have as well? I like to sit close to the board.

I am going to be an MS1 @ KU MED and have a room in my house for rent. It is right on the outskirts of Westport and West Plaza, 1910 Seneca KCK. The house has hardwood floors, washer/dryer, offstreet parking and I am putting a new kitchen in during July. Rent is $350 + half utilities. Let me know if you are interested.

[email protected]

For those of you not familiar with KC ( I graduated from UHS in 02) the above poster sounds like a good deal and in a great area. I lived there for 1 year prior to moving to Brookside (another great place to live).

While Westport can be a bit crazy, it is not too far from KU med which is a great place to study!

I wish all of you the best of luck...and encourage you to apply to emergency medicine residencies!

danwsu said:
Assigned seats? Is this something we'll have as well? I like to sit close to the board.

I doubt it. They were just trying to scare us. You'll be able to sit wherever you want.

Hey class of 2008,
I have two side tables, one sofa table, and one coffee table that I need to get rid of because I got new furniture for my anniversary. If you are willing to come pick it up then I will give it away. I am tired of haggling and just want it gone. If you are interested then e-mail me at [email protected].
see you in august!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Bump!

Where are all the 2008ers at? Anyway I got my finaid "award" letter today. My award was around 50K of debt. :laugh:

BTW has KCUMB cashed anyone's equipment fee check yet? I keep waiting for them to so I can close my account down and start a new one in a KC bank.

I got my award letter yesterday, too. Can't believe it's less than a month till we start! I don't know if they cashed my equipment fee yet (haven't gotten my new CC bill). ;)
fingerstick

I think everyone has ventured off to the blackboard @ kcumb.edu

How do you know what your login and password are?

I got mine in the mail about 2 weeks ago... it was the first initial of my first name followed by my last name... and my password was my birthdate

cooldreams said:
hello upperclassmen!! hehehe
Hey Cooldreams!!!! I'm class of 2009 too!!!! I will defer a year and do some fun stuff 'cause I'm in dire need of a break before med school! :clap: Whoooo hoooo.....see you there in a year! :)

snowhite said:
Hey Cooldreams!!!! I'm class of 2009 too!!!! I will defer a year and do some fun stuff 'cause I'm in dire need of a break before med school! :clap: Whoooo hoooo.....see you there in a year! :)

hehe cool... glad to hear!

Class of 2008-

If you still do not have place to live in Kansas City- let me know. I have the perfect situation for a person to sub-lease an awesome 2bedroom apartment in the Woodview Apts. You can move in as soon as you wish! It is the perfect location,. in KC just south on I35 from the school. If you live here you would be 11 minutes from the school and just 5 minutes from the plaza!
:thumbup: PM me if you are interested. Thanks and good luck in traveling to Kansas City in the next few weeks. :)

hey have they made any "kcumb" stuff yet?? i want a kcumb hat :p

Glad to see a lot of you on here,

Sad to see that KCUMB 2008 is on page 2 AND KCUMB 2007 is nowhere to be seen!

GOOD LUCK WITH SCHOOL

IVE BEEN TALKIN TO A LOT OF YOU AND BELIEVE IT OR NOT THE FIRST 5 WEEKS ARE A BREEZE, THEY ARE NOT GOING TO NAIL YOU THE FIRST TIME THROUGH.. ALSO... THE FIRST SECTION HAS THE LEAST AMOUNT OF INFO PROVIDED, YET IS THE HARDEST FOR SOME PEOPLE BECAUSE OF STUDY HABITS. DONT STRESS YOU WILL FIGURE THINGS OUT. JUST KEEP IN MIND THE FIRST SECTION STARTS OUT NICE AND SLOW AND THEN STARTS PICKING UP.

DONT STRESS... :SCARED: RELAX AND ENJOY SUMMER... IF YOU ARE STUDYING RIGHT NOW FOR MED SCHOOL... i DONT KNOW WHAT TO SAY TO YOU.... MAYBE GONE CASE? :thumbup:

BY THE WAY IM IN 810 IF NE ONE WANTS BOOKS OR BINDERS STOP BY.

ANKUR

AIM-XXANKSXX

I just thought I'd tell you that there are several new KCUMB products in the bookstore. I'm sure they'll get more for when you newcomers get onto campus. They're using the new logo a lot already this summer.

Also, just wanted to tell you all to have a great time this upcoming year. I'm sure you'll all love it! I'm starting my rotations Sept. 1--Surgery! The time will fly by between now and when your third year begins so enjoy every minute of it.

Let me know if you have questions. I check in here pretty often.

xXAnksXx said:
Glad to see a lot of you on here,

Sad to see that KCUMB 2008 is on page 2 AND KCUMB 2007 is nowhere to be seen!

GOOD LUCK WITH SCHOOL

IVE BEEN TALKIN TO A LOT OF YOU AND BELIEVE IT OR NOT THE FIRST 5 WEEKS ARE A BREEZE, THEY ARE NOT GOING TO NAIL YOU THE FIRST TIME THROUGH.. ALSO... THE FIRST SECTION HAS THE LEAST AMOUNT OF INFO PROVIDED, YET IS THE HARDEST FOR SOME PEOPLE BECAUSE OF STUDY HABITS. DONT STRESS YOU WILL FIGURE THINGS OUT. JUST KEEP IN MIND THE FIRST SECTION STARTS OUT NICE AND SLOW AND THEN STARTS PICKING UP.

DONT STRESS... :SCARED: RELAX AND ENJOY SUMMER... IF YOU ARE STUDYING RIGHT NOW FOR MED SCHOOL... i DONT KNOW WHAT TO SAY TO YOU.... MAYBE GONE CASE? :thumbup:

BY THE WAY IM IN 810 IF NE ONE WANTS BOOKS OR BINDERS STOP BY.

ANKUR

AIM-XXANKSXX

It truely scares me that you are offering up advice to incoming 1st years:) Beware First years

Don't mess around during FOM if you want to start off on a good foot. You can still fail FOM, just like some of our classmates did. It isn't a breeze, it's mostly like all of undergrad in 6 weeks. The quizzes are something to get used to, as are the times you have to take the quizzes. Also you will have to get used to ERF one way or the other.
Take what each of us says with a grain of salt.
But if you want good grades right out the gate, don't blow off FOM...
most of you guys have had most of it, so a high average could occur.
Go see Don Weaver early for time management skills.
Sign up early for tutors in any and all areas you need any help with... it'll help you meet 2nd years, and get a jump start on the curve.
PM if you need anything

E

Irisbeeker said:
Don't mess around during FOM if you want to start off on a good foot. You can still fail FOM, just like some of our classmates did. It isn't a breeze, it's mostly like all of undergrad in 6 weeks. The quizzes are something to get used to, as are the times you have to take the quizzes. Also you will have to get used to ERF one way or the other.
Take what each of us says with a grain of salt.
But if you want good grades right out the gate, don't blow off FOM...
most of you guys have had most of it, so a high average could occur.
Go see Don Weaver early for time management skills.
Sign up early for tutors in any and all areas you need any help with... it'll help you meet 2nd years, and get a jump start on the curve.
PM if you need anything

E

I completely agree. Also I am a nontraditional student and even though I had this stuff FOM was sort of difficult for me and I had to work hard to do well. Goodluck guys and do get tudors and talk to your big sibling!

are there tutors for all of the classes? even 2nd year classes??

Yes, you can get a tutor if you are a 2nd year.

To Class of 2008,
Work really hard in FOM, cause Musculoskeletal is even tougher in terms of time management, it'll be a wake up call but you'll get through as long as you do your best to keep up with the workload. At first, you'll see to have a lot of free time you don't know what to do with, but it'll get you in the long run...if you want a good residency and to do well in the boards and the rest of the school year, everything will build upon what FOM is. It'll make the rest of the year a little bit more manageable if you remember stuff from FOM later during the year.
NOTE: I'm selling sets of Royal Blue Dickies scrubs that are XL top and XLbottom still in plastic that are BRAND NEW as a set, I ordered too many of them since my parents gave me scrubs and I am not an XL size. I also am selling lab coats I have 3-5 BRAND NEW Size 44 and 1 USED Lab Coat but it was never used...I believe its a 44 as well with a University of NM heart center patch on the right since I got it from a friend...just 4.00 for the used one which I bleached and ironed since I already have my own anatomy lab coat).I'm selling it at cost price I paid minus the shipping cost I paid last year since I already have enough scrubs, which is still cheaper and better quality than the UHS Bookstore scrubs/lab coats, ...contact info for pricing: athsu2002(replace with @sign)yahoodotcom. Let me know if you have questions about school or anything else...

I'm tutoring in Anatomy /Pathology entire year for sure...maybe other subject but it depends on how much time I have with all my other prior commitments, go to Smith Hall desk and sign up for one if you need one...but normally you only need starting from Musculoskeletal and onward.

Do we need the regeular long lab coats for lab? I have one packed away somewhere but I'll look for it so I don't have to buy a new one.

Yes, you can bring your own old labcoat. It will get pretty gross, so keep that in mind.

Good luck
M.

Does anyone still need housing in Kansas City? If you do, there is a great offer from two of my classmates. Be sure to check out their thread about KCUMB Sublease. You can even get the month of August free...what a deal!

CharlesCarino said:
lab coats were supplied for our class............. trust me, once your lab coat is in the lab... your never going to want to take it anywhere else.......

-carino

Actually Carino - we all had to purchase them - but you can get them for about $2 from Jerry in the micro lab. Charles you must of been using other peoples lab coats - I see how you are:)

ok guys... first day of hell week... wuts goin on?? hehe

cooldreams said:
ok guys... first day of hell week... wuts goin on?? hehe

Actually, this isn't the first week of hell, next week will be when things start to heat up. This week will be the time for meeting people, learning about the school, and various other things like that.

dood! so like, the ms2's dont haze the ms1's?? no spiked punch bowls or frogs jumping around??? no.. no cow blood showers raining down upon us??? no streaking across campus with steaks tied to your waste running from hungry dobermans?? dah... :rolleyes:

Hey guys,
I hope that you all are enjoying your wonderful orientation week and congrats on getting here. Here are a few tips for getting through that first semester that worked for me:
1) WORK HARD: It is always easier to start off too hard and then back off and adjust. If you start out on the wrong foot you tend to stress out, which, as you will learn, makes studying and info retention harder.
2) Study daily: Even if it is just for 30min or so do something everyday. Review the notes of the day, read concepts from a book if you didn't get enough from the notes.
3) Find a 2nd or 3rd year you can befriend: These people will really help give you the inside scoop on what professors are good, how they test, what books to buy, etc
4) Study your way, not everyone else's: Not everyone can study in a group; not everyone can study by themselves. A combination of both will help. Especially for the path practicals.
5) Still take time for yourself: If you like to work out; do so. Do those things that allow you to get away. Find a group of people that you enjoy being around and study together, go out together, etc. I have met people here that I will be friends with for the rest of my life and would go to battle for.

Med school is tough, but the key is finding the right combination of studying and "me" time that is right for you. The less stress you have and the more you have a plan of attack, the better things will go for you.

Feel free to email me at jhammond. I am in town for my 3rd and 4th years.

BUMP

C'mon 2008, we're falling a little behind on the posts here. In fact, I just noticed that the only people who are posting are not even IN our class! I guess Chamberlain's got everyone's noses in their notes these days.
Anyway, looking forward to unwinding on friday--what's the plan of action? O'Doud's or Harpos both sound like winners to me...

see y'all bright and early in the freezing meet locher!

alex

I know dude, but someone's gotta keep our school represented on this thing. School pride, baby! Although after bending over without the lube (starting with micro!) this week, I was a little hesitant to say that!

ok guys, a week into it. whats going on? anything to watch out for? do differently? what do you like/dislike?? inquiring minds want to know this.... :D

Although I'm probably just talking to myself I'll post anyway,

What are you all planning to do about the new required books? Are we going to have to buy them now? Any 2nd years have any input on this?

yes.... i am buying the newly required you have to have books. though i don't agree with that. I need all the points i can get.

Get the book MIcro Made Rediculously Simple. It will save your butt.