KCUMB Class of 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kassy

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hii! Anyone else heading in next year?:love:

Members don't see this ad.

Sent in my deposit last week. Top choice out of the three schools I've been accepted to so far!! Woo-hoo!!

I know it's early, but if anyone else joins in this thread, where are you planning on living??? CT?? And anyone thinking of getting a roomate?? decisions, decisions!

Century Towers seems like a great place to live. My student host lived there. How do people find roommates and stuff. I'd rather have a roommate in a 2 bedroom or something.

Anyone know how much the apartments cost in CT?

Is internet included or do people hook up their own connections?

Members don't see this ad :)
Century Towers seems like a great place to live. My student host lived there. How do people find roommates and stuff. I'd rather have a roommate in a 2 bedroom or something.

Anyone know how much the apartments cost in CT?

Is internet included or do people hook up their own connections?

Im thinking CT looks good too, but definately want a roommate.. I just don't like being alone all the time! lol and it'd be nice to have someone on the same schedule w/ you to get you going!

The sheet I have on apts @ CT is listed as the following..
1 bedroom: inside view 555/mo, east view 575/mo, west view 610/mo
2 bedroom: (smaller size): east view 750/mo, west view 785/mo
2 bedroom: (bigger size): east view 910/mo, west view 940/mo

to me, the most logical choice is the smaller 2 bedroom. it saves about 200/mo per person compared to a 1 bedroom

For internet, i remember them saying that there is internet available on the computers in the library/study area for free. other than that, it is not included (for your apt)

I'd say to find roomates, the best place is here or the Facebook group. i heard they have a roommate list on blackboard, but it isn't released til march-ish. and to put down a deposit on a 2 bedroom id like to know i have someone to live with that i would like living with.. =) who knows!!

I am planning on attending next year. Still have yet to figure out where I am going to live. I heard bad reviews about CT...that it's really noisy and such.

I'll be attending next year!! I wasn't that impressed with Century Towers? Is there anywhere else that a lot of the students live?

The people that live in CT really like it. I've only heard of one person complain that is was noisy and that was after a quiz when no one was studying. The CT population is ~98% students so if you're studying so is everyone else. I don't know of any one place where many students live. I know a lot that live north of the river in Gladstone, Liberty, North Kansas City, Parkville... There's also the river market thats really close. Some people live downtown, some live on the Kansas side. It really just depends on how far you're willing to commute and what kind of amenities you're looking for.

Does anyone know how residency works for out of state students? Do I automatically become a Missouri resident once I start living there? Or, can I stay as a California resident?

If I stay as a California resident, do I still register my vehicle that I bring in? Can I even register a vehicle that is not under my name?:confused:

Hey. KCUMB MSIII here. Kassy, since you will be a graduate student, you don't have to change your driver's license/plates to MO. You can just keep you Cali stuff and then just renew when you are on break when it is coming due. Feel free to send me questions but I'm pretty busy on an OB/GYN rotation right now so it may take me a week or so to get to your questions. Good luck! Oh, and I lived a few minutes north of the river at Walnut Creek. There was a decent group of KCUMB students living there. I left when they were just starting construction on I-29/35 so I don't know how bad it is torn up now but before the drive wasn't too bad in the morning.

Heyy everyone.. I'll be moving from Michigan. Anyone need a roomate?!?! Might be a little early still, but just trying to get everything figured out! See you all this summer/fall! :)

I see a bunch of people asking about CT. I'm a current first year living in CT. I pay something like $565 for a single apartment facing out. Living here has several advantages- I don't have to drive to class, I walk back for lunch everyday, and if I have a long break in between classes I can go back to my apartment. The staff here seems nice and in my experience it is not too loud. Plus a bunch of other students also live in CT. The negatives of CT are that its pricey for what you get in terms of size and neighborhood. Plenty of my classmates live within 3 miles (library lofts, the metropolitan, river market, quality hill) and their commute is all of 3 minutes.

In my opinion, it ultimately boils down to your personality: if you are the type of person that has to get away from school to keep your sanity, I'd suggest looking elsewhere. For me, the convenience of living across the street was more important than having a larger place somewhere else.

Keep in mind your schedule in school will change weekly so there will be a lot of days where you may have a 2 hour gap in between that morning's lectures and the afternoon interview/iocs/lab/whatever.

OOOH, almost forgot-for people looking to go north of the river: the paseo bridge is closed for the next year and a half or so. You can still get north of the river, but its just one more hassle.

Thanks for all the input about housing. I'm going to continue to check out Century Towers and a couple other places. If anyone has names of apartments where other students live...let me know so I can check them out! I'm not really very familiar with the Kansas City area. Thanks

Hi! I was just accepted into KCUMB and am interested in living in Century Towers. I don't have a car so that obviously works for the best. To the current med students - is it necessary to have a car during the first year?

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow, this message board has taken off more since I last posted. I am moving from Springfield, MO for the fall. However, I hadn't really planned on CT. I didn't think it was the best for the price! Looking for a roommate. Prolly early...but still.

Personally, I think I'd live over by Rockhurst and UMKC. Those schools own most of the property surrounding them and rent it for reasonable rates. It's about a 10-minute drive from KCUMB and in a much better neighborhood.

Hey I was accepted to KCUMB a couple of months ago and I think it is going to end up being my top choice. I really liked the idea of living in CT since it is right on campus. I know it is kind of early but is anyone looking for a roommate yet?

i am, but are you a boy or girl? :) haha. there's also a facebook group with some people in it. search for KCUMB 2013 and it should come up.

Hey! Definitely looking for a roommate, but good question, girl or boy? Haha.

Hi!, I am a current MSIV at KCUMB and I have a HUGE, NICE house coming up for rent end of July 09' that is close to school (7 minute drive) and has great highway access. I have a tradition of renting to KCUMB students and I would like to keep that tradition going.

It is almost 3,000 square feet, with 3 huge bedrooms (possible 4th bedroom), 2 1/2 baths. The house has the following features:
- Privacy fenced yard, great for pets.
- 3 large bedrooms (12x16, 11x11, 28x13) with great closet space
- Separate office with closet
- Master bath with steam shower and jacuzzi tub
- Formal Dining Room (4th bedroom) (13x12)
- Huge dry basement, great for storage
- Huge Kitchen (16x7) with stainless steel appliances (oven, fridge, dishwasher), tons of cabinet space, pantry
- Breakfast room just off Kitchen
- Separate Laundry room with washer, dryer and closet
- Large living room (19x11)
- Large front porch
- Privacy fenced back yard great for pets
- Close to both I-35 and 71 hwy
- 8 minutes from KCUMB/ Truman/ Children's Mercy, 2 minutes to KU med/ St. Lukes
- 2 min to the plaza/ westport
- Can be partly furnished if desired

Please e-mail me for pictures (I have lots :)
Rent: $1185/mo + utilities ($395/person)

Tiffany Lewis
[email protected]
MSIV, KCUMB

Does anyone know if the apartments in Century Towers come furnished? I can't find anything about that online.

Does anyone know if the apartments in Century Towers come furnished? I can't find anything about that online.

From what i understood, no they do not come furnished.

thats a good point, I am a guy and I did join the facebook group but it seems to be fairly unpopulated at the moment. I also have most of the stuff needed to furnish the common areas of an apartment

I have nothing against the CT, but consider carefully before jumping aboard. There's definitely the advantage of being close to school, but there are also a number of negatives, too, which depending on what you want, can outweigh the positive (e.g., not all the rooms are as nice as the one they showed you during interview day, noise level can be an issue for some, very bad surrounding neighborhood, a bit expensive for what you are getting, being around classmates all the time, etc.). There are lots of alternative sites for consideration that are fairly close to the school. It might be worth some research.

The CT apartments are not furnished.

Someone asked about a car-if you live in CT you could probably get away with not having a car.

The CT apartments are not furnished.

Someone asked about a car-if you live in CT you could probably get away with not having a car.

No, I think you still would need a car, even if you lived in CT. The area is pretty bad and there isn't much w/in walking distance, not that I recommend taking long walks in the area.

Agreed. The area is kind of rough. I would probably want a car. Plus, even if you want to get out some day, it might be nice to have. Of course, I guess you could bum rides off of other people haha.

so how good or bad is century towers? i have seen it ( not that impressive) but since its so close to campus, it should seem like a sure bet. but i have also heard negatives about it, but overall, is the consensus that its a positive place to live? also, when would the rooms usually get rented?

so how good or bad is century towers?

Honestly, I have heard it is noisy, the walls are paper thin, the staff can be horrible, etc. Not to mention that the rates for the rooms space you get is ridiculous. Yes, it is right next door, but you can find things better for like 5-10 minutes from campus. That's just my opinion from what I have heard.

After paying rent in NYC, Boston, and LA, the idea of living next door to the school for 375 (if sharing a two bedroom) also seems "absurd" (but absurdly cheap)! I realize its all relative but I also know It would cost me about 500 more a month to live that close to the other schools Im considering. I don't have a car and I am planning to buy one, but i might not have it immediately. If I choose KCUMB, I would strongly consider CT at least for the first year. I dont mind a little noise, and I would love to be among that many students. I also really liked living on campus in college, so I think it would be a positive experience. Thanks for the warnings though!

hi notquiteme,
nice to see another californian!

Are there any upperclassman that have a house and would like a housemate? :):DI'd like to live more in the safer areas of town.

Are there any upperclassman that have a house and would like a housemate? :):DI'd like to live more in the safer areas of town.

I'm going to be a first year, but have been talking with some people and realized that we could find a house and split rent and it wouldn't be so bad, if you had like 3 people. Just throwing it out there though. I have only seen of that one house someone posted earlier, though. I'm sure there are other people, however, who have houses open.

I'm a new first year and I was wondering if a current student living in a 2br in CT needs a roommate. If you do, please message me! Thanks.

I'm going to be a first year, but have been talking with some people and realized that we could find a house and split rent and it wouldn't be so bad, if you had like 3 people. Just throwing it out there though. I have only seen of that one house someone posted earlier, though. I'm sure there are other people, however, who have houses open.

True. That would be awesome to live in a house with a bunch of other first years. The house posted earlier would be nice as a 4 person share, or even just a 3 person share. I guess the difficult part is not really seeing the place before getting there and getting everything set up. Are you a girl by any chance?

True. That would be awesome to live in a house with a bunch of other first years. The house posted earlier would be nice as a 4 person share, or even just a 3 person share. I guess the difficult part is not really seeing the place before getting there and getting everything set up. Are you a girl by any chance?

Haha, yes, I am a girl. : ) However, the house that was mentioned earlier I feel is located in an iffy area. Not sure about it just yet. It would probably be better to go look at it and see. My thoughts exactly...that it would be nice to live with a bunch of other first years, that way we all kinda have the same experiences and can rely on each other as we start. Ya know?

Are there any other housing developments or apartments within walking/bike riding distance that are a little safer or cheaper than CT? My wife is a little worried about the area and doesn't think CT will be that great an option. I have a car but it's on its last leg, and buying one right now doesn't really seem like an option. Any information would be great.

Are there any other housing developments or apartments within walking/bike riding distance that are a little safer or cheaper than CT? My wife is a little worried about the area and doesn't think CT will be that great an option. I have a car but it's on its last leg, and buying one right now doesn't really seem like an option. Any information would be great.

I haven't found anything within walking distance.. but some pretty close. Walking distance would essentially be in the same area, so you would probably have to drive. I have looked into places in the downtown area (5 min drive according to mapquest), plaza (15 min drive) and midtown (10 min drive). I've heard some students live north of the river too and have 10-15 min drive for a much nicer area. So really, you would just need something to get you short distances. It's a difficult trade-off of location vs convenience.

5-10 minutes could be possible. Do you have any names of apartment complexes? I'm planning on making a trip in a month or two and just want to have as much information as possible. Also is parking a problem for those that drive?
Thanks for your help.

Hey,
My letter was dated 1/30/09 and it says "you soon will receive additional information and requirements for matriculation at our university." I've yet to receive any additional info...is this something they only send after they receive your acceptance/matriculation deposit??

I asked for information earlier this month, and this is what they said. So I guess..June.. is kind of soon?

"The matriculation packet will go out sometime in June. The week of
August 3rd is orientation week. School starts the following Monday
the 10th. You might want to contact financial aide about when
their information will be going out."

Ruth Armstrong
KCUMB Admissions Dept.

"I will mail out a packet this month or next with information about any outside scholarships/loans that we have in our database, that might be applicable to you. As far as any KCUMB scholarships, most of them are for students who are already here. They apply for them in the late winter or spring for the next year. Information on any KCUMB scholarships for incoming students would be available from the Admissions Office.

We will also mail an actual Financial Aid packet out to accepted students who have paid their initial fees in April. It will have a few other documents to complete and return to us. Most students who do not have outside resources fund their education with both Stafford and Grad Plus loans. Both loans are federal loans, but the Stafford loans have a fixed interest rate of 6.8% (up to $8,500 could be subsidized by the government, which means they would pay the interest while you are in school. Your eligibility for that would be based on your "need"). Grad Plus loans have a fixed interest rate of 8.5%. They are credit-based loans, so you need to avoid any adverse credit problems in order for a lender to approve you for that loan.

Mary K. Sommerhauser
Financial Aid Counselor
Kansas City University of Medicine and Biosciences
[email protected]
816-283-2356"

hey! :)
I will be going to KCUMB next year! i'm from chicago and looking for housing, not being very successful. is anyone looking for a roommate or have any advice for me? i'm not extremely picky... M or F, someone whose not filthy, but not a complete neat freak either. i dont smoke, drink socially, not bad to look at (just a joke). can't wait to meet all of you ;)

Pretty certain I will be at KCUMB next year! Excited! I am also starting to look for housing/roommates in KC for next year. I do not want to live in the CT and if you feel the same way, I will be happy to get in touch with you once I really get to searching for a place (probably within the next month).

About me:

Grew up near KC and am very familiar with area.
Male
Don't Smoke
Drink Socially
No gf/random baggage

PM me if you are interested and I will shoot you my contact info. Can't wait to meet all of you!

As a note, for CT, they'll set you up with other people wanting roommates if you would like them to. Also, there's a packet that you can ask them to fax or mail you to do so.

:)

What are people going to be doing during this summer?

Also, anyone else interested in the MBA program?

Hey,
Does anyone know who to make the check out to if we are writing a check for the acceptance/matriculation fees?

thanks!

Class of 2013:

I am a 2nd year KCUMB student living in a town home complex about 10 minutes north of the river. It is a very family/student friendly place to live and very inexpensive. Rent is about 400-500 dollars a month. They have 2, 3, and 4 bedroom units. It's the perfect place to live if you have a family or spouse coming with you to KC. About 40-50 medical and dental student live there with their families so there is a strong built in support group for anyone who may be coming with you. PM me for details.

Do any of the current students out there have any information about the medical insurance that is offered to students? Is it some kind of group plan or do you have to go looking for it on your own?

Hi class of 2013. I'm currently a 2nd year at KCUMB, and I will be moving to Mississippi in July to do my rotations. I have a wonderful 3 bed 2 bath house with a finished basement, a huge fenced in backyard, wonderful, quiet neighbors, in a great location. I'm about 9 miles from school right outside of Gladstone. It's close to Zona Rosa, a prime shopping/eating/entertainment center in the Northland, and I'm also close to downtown as well. This house is ideal for incoming students with kids (I have a 4yo boy) or students with big dogs (the backyard is huge) or for people who just wanna be away from CT. I'll tell you that if you live it CT, you'll be tired of seeing the school all the time, b/c it'll feel like you just can't get away. CT is in the ghetto too. I'm not trying to scare anyone, just laying down the facts. So if you're interested you can message me or e-mail me at [email protected]. My name's Drew and best of luck to ya'll!

Hello! Yay for the class of 2013!!

I have made several trips down to KC in an attempt to find housing. I can't really find very many places and would be generally happy with the dorm-like atmosphere of CT. **misses the dorms**

However, i don't want to live alone! I'm a 22 yr old female looking for a science-geek roomie of any gender. :) (aka someone who thinks science jokes are funny) I want a non-smoker who can handle the occasional mess and wants to be friends. I will be honest, I often forget to unload the dishwasher and have to be reminded to do it.. >.< I am thinking about a dog, but don't actually have one, so pet-friendly or pet-owner would be best. I was also thinking about being UBER cheap and not getting cable, though internet will be required.

about me:
I am the eldest of five kids and I'm used to noise. I like studying with music on and really like studying in groups (to actually STUDY). I have a boyfriend who goes to law school in NE so he might be down for an occasional visit. I am okay with drinking socially but prefer other ways of having fun. I am a night-owl but since we have class at 8am maybe I'll have to get over that (tho i'll never be a morning person). I would like to put myself on a routine workout schedule in med school and really like to write fiction & watch movies. I majored in journalism and english if that tells you anything about me :p.

If you're interested please PM me!

If someone who has a house is thinking I might be a good match, I would be open as well. I just don't know of any.

Hey all,
Congratulations on your acceptances to the school. I'm graduating this year and I have some books and white coats up for sale to anyone who is interested. Please email [email protected] for a complete list of what I have. I can also answer questions for anyone about housing searches south of the metro. I currently live in Overland Park, KS with my wife, daughter, and dog in a nice house which we rent. Send those questions to the same address as above, I probably won't check this thread often if ever.