KCUMB Discussion Thread 2010-2011

Started by ShyRem
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey guys! I'm planning on moving up to KC at the end of this month. I'm trying to figure out things to do to stay busy up there until school starts. I called the school to see if I could help with any research or anything like that, but they won't let incoming students participate. I'm thinking about maybe calling some hospitals to see about volunteer work since I speak Spanish and could possibly help at the information desk or something like that. Anyone have any thoughts?
 
really?? my wife and i went up there last month and looked at those, they were pretty horrible..and not close to the school at all..

7-10 minutes across the river. Seems pretty quick. Like I said, at least 20 - 30 in my class alone lived there.
 
Last edited:
Hey guys! I'm planning on moving up to KC at the end of this month. I'm trying to figure out things to do to stay busy up there until school starts. I called the school to see if I could help with any research or anything like that, but they won't let incoming students participate. I'm thinking about maybe calling some hospitals to see about volunteer work since I speak Spanish and could possibly help at the information desk or something like that. Anyone have any thoughts?

Enjoy your rest. Seriously. DON'T stay busy. You will be busy enough when you start; and in 2 or 3 weeks, you'll be complaining like everyone else about how there is no time. Enjoy the slow time now. Have a beer or 12, hang your acceptance letter on the 'frig, catch up on your Soap Operas, and smile about life. Read a good Calvin and Hobbes Collection. 😉 The biggest thing you need to learn in medical school is time management. That also includes relaxation time management.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Enjoy your rest. Seriously. DON'T stay busy. You will be busy enough when you start; and in 2 or 3 weeks, you'll be complaining like everyone else about how there is no time. Enjoy the slow time now. Have a beer or 12, hang your acceptance letter on the 'frig, catch up on your Soap Operas, and smile about life. Read a good Calvin and Hobbes Collection. 😉 The biggest thing you need to learn in medical school is time management. That also includes relaxation time management.

Haha, ironically I was just reading this with a beer in hand, facebook on the other tab, sitting at my computer still in my pajamas. Life is Good. 🙂
 
Haha, ironically I was just reading this with a beer in hand, facebook on the other tab, sitting at my computer still in my pajamas. Life is Good. 🙂

Your time stamps says 9:56 PM... "still in my pajamas"... see, that's what I'm talking about. :laugh: You are going to do well at this med school thing!
 
Anyone worried about getting their car broken into while parked at the kcumb campus? I don't know if I should bring my car down there since it's a bit on the expensive side. I read somewhere on an old sdn kcumb thread that there was a carjacking there a while back. I'm sure on some nights I will be there until the libarary closes.
 
Anyone worried about getting their car broken into while parked at the kcumb campus? I don't know if I should bring my car down there since it's a bit on the expensive side. I read somewhere on an old sdn kcumb thread that there was a carjacking there a while back. I'm sure on some nights I will be there until the libarary closes.

I asked this question to some current students in the osteopathic forum and they basically said it would be okay. If you stay late at night they've added more security and you can always ask security guards to walk you to your car or over to CT if you live there. I'm bringing my roadster, too so I hope we'll be alright!
 
I was wondering if anyone knew how things worked with the wait list? Do they wait until July 1 or do they fill slots as they become available?
 
I was wondering if anyone knew how things worked with the wait list? Do they wait until July 1 or do they fill slots as they become available?

I believe they will start pulling off the list once spots become available, which I know hasn't happened yet, and the list hasn't been ranked yet either. I don't know how full/overfilled the class is at this point, but there hasn't been any/enough movement for them to start looking at the waitlist. I would think, with the pretty big KCUMB class size, that there is bound to be some movement, just not yet. I would think that the guaranteed waitlist spots will get first dibs followed by the regular waitlist.
 
I asked this question to some current students in the osteopathic forum and they basically said it would be okay. If you stay late at night they've added more security and you can always ask security guards to walk you to your car or over to CT if you live there. I'm bringing my roadster, too so I hope we'll be alright!

Yea we have seriously upgraded security on campus so worrying about your car shouldnt be a problem. There are two police from KCPD patrolling during the day as well as 2 renta cop security guards. At night its one policeman and 2 security guards. I stay every night until 11:30 when the library closes and in the beginning of the year I used to have one of the guards walk me to my car. They are really nice about it and encourage it. Now I just feel a lot more comfortable with the surroundings of the area so I just walk on my own. The campus also added more lights and cameras easily viewed to deter behavior.
 
I believe they will start pulling off the list once spots become available, which I know hasn't happened yet, and the list hasn't been ranked yet either. I don't know how full/overfilled the class is at this point, but there hasn't been any/enough movement for them to start looking at the waitlist. I would think, with the pretty big KCUMB class size, that there is bound to be some movement, just not yet. I would think that the guaranteed waitlist spots will get first dibs followed by the regular waitlist.

Thank you much! I appreciate it!
 
Does anyone know anything about living at Old Town South and Walnut Towers? I found that out from a magazine. I'm also interested in Quality Hill Towers because it is cheap. But I'm a little worried about safety in that apartment complex. Please help with any information you have.
 
Just read an article in Men's Health written by Warren Willey, D.O., who graduated from KCUMB back when it was UHS. Went on to do a residency at Mayo Clinic and is apparently a big fitness expert. He's also super ripped haha. Just thought I'd share.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just read an article in Men's Health written by Warren Willey, D.O., who graduated from KCUMB back when it was UHS. Went on to do a residency at Mayo Clinic and is apparently a big fitness expert. He's also super ripped haha. Just thought I'd share.

Haha! He lives my rinky-dink home town! In fact he lives down the street from my folks. He is pretty much a home town hero! I didn't know he went to KCUMB?!?! Wow, I guess I seriously missed a great chance to to shadow him.
 
Haha! He lives my rinky-dink home town! In fact he lives down the street from my folks. He is pretty much a home town hero! I didn't know he went to KCUMB?!?! Wow, I guess I seriously missed a great chance to to shadow him.

Damn dude, yes you did. It sounds like you could have learned a lot from him, even beyond medicine.
 
I'm not sure about the other 2, but I've been to a friend's apt at Quality Hill, and it was not good! Then again, I'm not sure how much rent is, maybe it's worth the rent.
 
Thanks! I'm just going to keep my fingers crossed that there is no lab that first Friday. What are the labs like for FOM?

Labs for FOM are pretty basic. The class is divided into 4 lab groups A-D. You have lots of introductory labs, it's nothing to worry about. I attached last year's FOM schedule just to give an idea of classes (yours probably won't be the exact same).
 

Attachments

has anyone been accepted off the wait list yet?

I've heard that the class of 2015 has 20 more students than they usually accept, so it's unlikely that many students will be accepted from the wait list. Then again, maybe the school is wanting a large class.
 
Stinks that the class is overfull, that means there probably won't be any movement.

I am a guaranteed next year waitlister but luckily got in somewhere else. As much as I loved KCUMB, I don't think it is worth waiting another year so I'll hesitantly be giving up my waitlist spot soon, not that it will help with the overfull class situation.

I was hoping to hear back, but having been on the waitlist at DMU last year with an overfull class and no movement, I have a feeling KCUMB will probably yield similar results. 🙁

If the class stays too full they probably will start offering paid deferals for students to matriculate next year because if the class is overfilled the school gets penalized by the AACOM/AOA since they are only accredited for a class size of 250 I think.
 
Hey what's going on everyone? I was accepted a few months ago, and am currently looking for some places to live. I found two places that seem really nice, Madison at Walnut Creek, and the Library Lofts downtown. If anyone stays at either of these places and would like to give some feedback that would be awesome.
Thanks.
 
Pardon me if I'm lost, it's been several years since I've been on the forums... We used to have specific class threads. Has this one taken place of that? Anyway, if the mods want to move my post, feel free. I am a graduate of the class of 2007. I am finishing up my Family Medicine/OB Fellowship and will be leaving town soon. I have a 3 bedroom/2 bath home in the Liberty area of town. It is about 14 miles from school which is a comfortable 20 minute drive with the new widened bridge. Liberty is a great area for schools if you have little ones. The house has an acre of land and rent is very negotiable. The neighbors are great. I've lived there for 7 years and love the neighborhood. We're doing some work on the house to make it nicer for someone to move into (paint, repairs, upgrades, etc.). I don't need to rent it but I'd like to not lose too much money on it. I'd love to rent to a student with a family or a couple of students that want to split the rent. I will be leaving my riding mower for whoever rents/buys the house. See below for some more details and PM me if you are even slightly interested...

Bedrooms: 3 (master is upstairs in the converted attic with low ceiling, it is comfortable enough unless you are >6ft tall). Entire upstairs has new drywall, shower tile, windows and new in wall heater/ac unit that is separate from the central air.
Bathrooms: 2 full (bath downstairs, shower upstairs)
Separate dining area.
Detached 2 car garage
Very mature shade trees on an approximately 1 acre sized lot
brand new roof on house and garage
Pets definitely welcome! I have a in ground fence installed for dogs, you'd just have to buy your own collar if you wanted to use it.
Washer/dryer hookups in basement and in kitchen. Dishwasher, fridge, range, microwave in place. There is a working washer in the basement that I will leave. There will be no dryer, though and I don't plan on purchasing one to leave.
Basement is unfinished. but does have a sump pump and is adequate for storage.

I could go on and on but I'll save the rest for interested parties. I'll be out of the house on 7/15 and would like to get someone in ASAP. I'd be willing to consider shorter term leases (ie school year). Some of the repairs won't happen until August but I have a guy that will be doing things throughout the summer and into the fall as long as the tenant is willing to put up with him (work will get done with little intrusion).

Thanks!

Russell Brunet, DO
KCUMB-COM Class of 2007
UMKC Community and Family Medicine 2010
TMC Family Medicine Surgical Obstetric Fellowship 2011
 
I know it is very late in the game, and I don't know if anyone is still waiting to hear off of the waitlist, but I just decided to withdraw on Tuesday. So there may be one spot opening...
 
I know it is very late in the game, and I don't know if anyone is still waiting to hear off of the waitlist, but I just decided to withdraw on Tuesday. So there may be one spot opening...


thanks for the info! i'm still waiting *crossing fingers*
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Haha! He lives my rinky-dink home town! In fact he lives down the street from my folks. He is pretty much a home town hero! I didn't know he went to KCUMB?!?! Wow, I guess I seriously missed a great chance to to shadow him.


I don't know how I missed this, but I flew from Canada to shadow him a few times! Great guy, smart and very good with patients!!