KCUMB Discussion Thread 2010-2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ShyRem

I need more coffee.
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For discussion of the school noted above. This includes interview dates, questions, etc. Threads will be merged in here if they are created on their own.

Members don't see this ad.

Any idea on the "strictness" of the biochem requirement?

I took a biology class entitled macromolecules and metabolism (it was 4 semester hours but did not include a lab). The text we used was Lehninger's Biochemistry.

I can't mark it as a Biochem course on AACOMAS because it is listed on my official transcript as a Biology course. Is there someplace on the secondary to indicate which courses you are using to fulfill the various requirements?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
My biochem course was listed as BIO on my transcript but I still listed it as Biochem on AACOMAS without any problems. You may have to send AACOMAS a link to your school's catalog, I had to do that with another course. I would get it switched on AACOMAS rather than trying to explain it somewhere else.

My biochem course was listed as BIO on my transcript but I still listed it as Biochem on AACOMAS without any problems. You may have to send AACOMAS a link to your school's catalog, I had to do that with another course. I would get it switched on AACOMAS rather than trying to explain it somewhere else.

Great! thanks for the help peachy!

Great! thanks for the help peachy!
I had a similar situation last cycle albeit with a different course and they simply requested that I fax a copy of the syllabus and it was taken care of.

I had a similar situation last cycle albeit with a different course and they simply requested that I fax a copy of the syllabus and it was taken care of.

Thanks for your help! People in this thread are very helpful! :thumbup:

Anyone get the secondary yet?

love this school
love the campus
love KC

c'mon secondary!!!!!

someone said they received this secondary today...anyone else get it? also, does KCUMB screen before secondaries?

someone said they received this secondary today...anyone else get it? also, does KCUMB screen before secondaries?

I have not gotten anything from them yet. Still waiting, only DO school that hasn't sent me their secondary yet.

Members don't see this ad :)
No secondary here yet either...I'm really interested in this school so I hope it comes soon

Still no secondary but I did find last years posted on the 2009-2010 forum. It was a PDF mail in last year...not sure if it will be the same, but at least it gives you some idea as to what to expect...
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=645986&page=6

From last years thread it looks like they send out interviews pre secondary and LOR sometimes...it looks like the 1st invites didn't come until late August...and this school requires genetics credits on top of bio which I just realized...interesting

Last edited:
Got the KCUMB secondary but after I register for a username/password and try to log in, it doesnt direct me to the right place "oops your page can not be found" and just goes to a general KCUMB site.

Anyone else have this problem?

Got the KCUMB secondary but after I register for a username/password and try to log in, it doesnt direct me to the right place "oops your page can not be found" and just goes to a general KCUMB site.

Anyone else have this problem?

Same problem with internet explorer. Mozilla works though.

no working

Last edited:
Any one here is able to complete this secondary.

Last edited:
I cannot even create an account because it says my AACOMAS ID is invalid (and it is obviously not). Anyone else experiencing this? For that matter, has anyone successfully logged in who can share whether the essays are the same as last year? ("1. In essay form, discuss what you believe is pertinent to your application such as, but not limited to...")

I cannot even create an account because it says my AACOMAS ID is invalid (and it is obviously not). Anyone else experiencing this? For that matter, has anyone successfully logged in who can share whether the essays are the same as last year? ("1. In essay form, discuss what you believe is pertinent to your application such as, but not limited to...")
I was able to finish it using mozilla and a heaping handfull of patience. I had to log in several times, and the essay doesn't paste correctly, so that if you have tabs or returns it counts them as 100 or so extra characters (I have noticed that many secondaries instruct us not to use tabs or returns to separate paragraphs, but this one had no such caveat).

At any rate to answer your question the essay prompt is as follows:
Describe your motivation for applying to KCUMB’s College of Osteopathic Medicine, and address the unique qualities and characteristics you would bring to our University and the osteopathic profession. 2500 characters

i STILL don't have a secondary from here. :(

Nothing here either...it sounds like it has some bugs in it so maybe their waiting to send out more until its fixed...idk

Email brooke if you have problems with the secondary, she will get IT to take a look at it.

Brooke/ IT helped me log in but I still get problems with the contact info "save" part. I am in no rush to complete this though, I am way behind on some other secondaries too lol.

still no secondary for me. guess i got screened out :(

does anyone know this years essay prompts for the secondary app?

still no secondary for me. guess i got screened out :(

I doubt it. I think they are just taking their time or trying to taper in the applicants, rather than getting hit all at once... Who knows. I'm still waiting on this one as well...

I want this secondary now!!! haha...it's the only one I still haven't gotten! Would emailing them asking them where it is be too much? I know I didn't get screened out, I def meet their minimums. I really like this school so...I hope I get it soon.

They webcasted their white coat ceremony last night...I accidentally stumbled upon it and watched a little bit of it. The auditorium/theater building they have on campus is pretty impressive. The ceremony itself was pretty boring but I'm sure it's pretty exciting if you're involved.:)

I want this secondary now!!! haha...it's the only one I still haven't gotten! Would emailing them asking them where it is be too much? I know I didn't get screened out, I def meet their minimums. I really like this school so...I hope I get it soon.

They webcasted their white coat ceremony last night...I accidentally stumbled upon it and watched a little bit of it. The auditorium/theater building they have on campus is pretty impressive. The ceremony itself was pretty boring but I'm sure it's pretty exciting if you're involved.:)
I hate to admit it but I've got white coat envy in the worst way!

I hate to admit it but I've got white coat envy in the worst way!

I'm kind of the fence about this. As a graduate student, I already wear a long white coat. I'll have to trade in the long one for the short one. It will be exciting for sure, but also slightly humbling.

I am a first year at kcumb so if anyone has any q's please feel free to pm me.

Got secondary today.

1 Essay, 2500 character or less, just asking you to say why KCUMB.

Very easy online format.

I'm kind of the fence about this. As a graduate student, I already wear a long white coat. I'll have to trade in the long one for the short one. It will be exciting for sure, but also slightly humbling.

I'll stick with the long coat. I'm a biochem student. I'm used to my long labcoat from research and its just so much more practical with all the extra pockets.

I stumbled upon this thread today and it has some pretty negative things to say about KCUMB at the bottom of page 1 and a lot of page 2. Does anyone have any further info on this? Now I'm wondering if I even want to finish applying here.

I agree. After looking through that thread, I dont think I am going to apply either. This was actually my first choice school, so its kind of sad to hear all that.

I agree. After looking through that thread, I dont think I am going to apply either. This was actually my first choice school, so its kind of sad to hear all that.

As someone who commented on that old thread and had alot of negative things to say i think i should give you guys my opinion now. Alot of the things i complained about (the greedy administration and misplacement of resources) are not really an issue anymore. The old president and administration were all fired and I really like the new president. It seems the school has abandoned stupid ideas like the branch campus and the dual degree and is working on improving the school itself. If i had to do it all over again KCUMB would be the only DO school i would have gone to (except PCOM). There were alot of my friends who destroyed step I(USMLE and COMLEX) without putting in a ridiculous amount of studying. It wasnt until recently that i started to realize how well the school had set us up for clinicals. Im at a hospital for clinical rotations which has third years rotating from 5 different DO schools, a couple of allopathic schools, and some carribbean schools. There were several times during our first few weeks here that preceptors and education administrators commented on how we were always the best prepared for rotations and are a step ahead of students from other schools. Of course im sure everyone will catch up soon so it may not be a big deal. However, i feel so much more prepared than students from other schools.

Anyway i dont think you should avoid applying to a school because of some internet thread nor should you attend a school based on what you read on SDN. Apply and if you're lucky enough to get in make a decision then. As you can see from the other thread im a total KCUMB hater and a blatant pessimist but I really think the education we get is excellent and I really beleive it is one of the very best DO schools in the country.

Glad to see they've been improving things. After reading that thread I was pretty concerned, but thanks for clearing that up.

so still no secondary from here. i don't know why. i know that i meet their cutoff.

so still no secondary from here. i don't know why. i know that i meet their cutoff.

I emailed them yesterday morning and they replied that they are sending them in batches based on when they received your primary. I was in the 8th mailing. Needless to say I received the secondary yesterday late afternoon/evening. So i guess they mailed out the 8th group yesterday.

So they're just taking their time, probably so the secondary site doesn't get overloaded because it has a few bugs/froze a few times when I was filling it out.

I emailed them yesterday morning and they replied that they are sending them in batches based on when they received your primary. I was in the 8th mailing. Needless to say I received the secondary yesterday late afternoon/evening. So i guess they mailed out the 8th group yesterday.

So they're just taking their time, probably so the secondary site doesn't get overloaded because it has a few bugs/froze a few times when I was filling it out.

when was your aacomas released to schools?

just got it a few minutes ago. and crap they have a genetics requirement.

just got it a few minutes ago. and crap they have a genetics requirement.

Yeah I noticed that too. From what I've heard, they'll still offer interviews and then issue an acceptance pending you take the course.

I have a class that had genetics in it, but it wasn't a class devoted to genetics. It has genes in the course name on my transcript so I hope it's enough, but I suppose I could always take a summer class next year if KCUMB works out.