KCUMB Discussion Thread 2010-2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
so I have to choose between KCUMB and AZCOM now. A big portion of my decision making is coming down to quality of 3rd year rotations. I would prefer to stay in one place for years 1-3, so can anyone comment on the quality of KCUMB's local sites? I know that they are affiliated with 2 Carondelet hospitals in KC's suburbs, but that is about it.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey do you guys know if KCUMB still interviewing for 2011 admission?

Members don't see this ad :)
I was thinking of maybe buying a 1 bedroom condo in one of the buildings in the downtown area. But I don't know if it will be worth it since I may end up doing rotations all over the place.

Anyways I emailed a couple of rental companies and you can get some nice looking 1 bedroom rentals for around $950 a month. Is this the going rate for a nice 1 bedroom in a downtown high rise or loft?

I live in Chicago so rent is a lot more expensive here.
Thanks for your infomrmation...:love:

Im a current 1st year and have a Mastiff, and live in a very dog friendly apartment complex, that takes every dog except for pit bulls. We have a dog park and there is even a lady in the complex who walks my dog in the afternoon and i am able to stay on campus and study without worrying about my dog. She also does pet sitting if you need to go out of town. Maybe when you come down you can check it out ( here is a link) http://www.thecrossingkc.com/ Im from so cal so commuting is not a big deal for me but the drive to campus is about 15 min

Im only familiar with north KC, i will be moving in the summer to a townehome that is also dog friendly. If you like i can send you a message with some apartments and townehomes that i have researched that allow large breed dogs. I am not a native KC'er; I am only familiar with north Kansas city, because thats where i live, and have also found the most apts and townehomes that allow large breed dogs are in the northland

anyway good luck

I've got a Mastiff too!!! :thumbup: I'm going to let her stay at home though with the rest of the family. She is getting up there in age and is quite set in her ways so bringing her down from Toronto seemed like not a great idea. I'll have to visit with all the dog owners though because I know I am going to miss her.:(

That girl was too good, she made all of the other guys seem out of sync. haha. It looks like they have a great time, which is always good to see.

I just went through and checked out the other Follies videos. Awesome little group and pretty funny videos. Can anyone explain what they're about though? Just a standard improv group?

i had my interview on March 3....
does anyone know what percentage of the class has been filled so far???

Just read this post---and others about the housing options--- I have been in KC my whole life, and would be willing to offer as much help as I can to anyone with specific questions about areas, distances/travel etc.
I feel your pain on the dog breed situation! My husband and I have three Old English Sheepdogs that forced us into buying a little while back.

has anyone from 3/3 interview heard anything back yet???? anyone? i wonder when we'll be hearing back....i'm dying to know......

I was thinking of maybe buying a 1 bedroom condo in one of the buildings in the downtown area. But I don't know if it will be worth it since I may end up doing rotations all over the place.

Anyways I emailed a couple of rental companies and you can get some nice looking 1 bedroom rentals for around $950 a month. Is this the going rate for a nice 1 bedroom in a downtown high rise or loft?

I live in Chicago so rent is a lot more expensive here.
If you don't mind a short drive (20 minutes or so) there are some suburbs nearby with better rental options. I live in Belton and there are places in my neighborhood for rent with fenced yards for pets and very good schools for kids.
Additionally, if any fellow KCUMB class of 2015ers are coming to town to look for housing and need a ride or a place to crash, I will be happy to help if I can. Feel free to PM.

I interviewed on the 9th and they said the next committee meeting is April 1st, so we wouldn't find out until April 15th (via snail mail). So maybe you'll hear sooner if they happened to meet sometime between the 3rd and the 9th.

:eek: :scared: dang it...
they did tell us that we'd be hearing back no later than the 15th during my interview...but i guess I missed the part about the next committee meeting on april 1st...man, it's going to be a long wait then...but nonetheless, thanks for the info!

Members don't see this ad :)
My grandfather was put in the hospital over the weekend with a pelvic abscess which has also led to respiratory problems and transporting him around has caused falling O2 sats, but they've managed to somewhat stabilize that. Currently they're trying to thicken his blood to see if surgery is even possible.

Any thoughts/prayers/whatever you do would be appreciated!

My grandfather was put in the hospital over the weekend with a pelvic abscess which has also led to respiratory problems and transporting him around has caused falling O2 sats, but they've managed to somewhat stabilize that. Currently they're trying to thicken his blood to see if surgery is even possible.

I hope your granddad recovers soon, best of luck.

It sounds like it has been a tough few days for your entire family. I hope everything works out well for his surgery and wish your grandfather a speedy recovery.

Not to burden everyone but he passed about 40 minutes ago. Sepsis ended up escalating this morning and he was put on a ventilator as well earlier today. I could tell from talking to my dad that it was only a matter of time...
RIP Pap

Not to burden everyone but he passed about 40 minutes ago. Sepsis ended up escalating this morning and he was put on a ventilator as well earlier today. I could tell from talking to my dad that it was only a matter of time...
RIP Pap

i'm sorry about your loss btricycle...hope you and ur fam are doing okay during this difficult time..take care..

RIP Pap

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family, loss is always difficult.

RIP Pap

I'm sorry man.

RIP Pap

Man, so sorry to hear about your loss! My grandfather was one of the greatest men I ever knew, I can imagine what you are going through! Best wishes to you and your family.

RIP Pap

I'm really sorry to hear about your loss. I wish you and your family the best in this time of mourning and remembrance.

Sorry to hear about your loss, btricycle. I too lost my grandfather during this application season, and it has been a trying time indeed. IDK if you are religious, but may God rest his soul in eternal peace.

On a completely unrelated note, I just declined my acceptance to KCUMB-COM. One more free spot for those of you still interviewing :thumbup: Good luck to you all next year, and enjoy that new student center! See you guys later when we are all doctors!! :)

Sorry to hear about your loss, btricycle. I too lost my grandfather during this application season, and it has been a trying time indeed. IDK if you are religious, but may God rest his soul in eternal peace.

On a completely unrelated note, I just declined my acceptance to KCUMB-COM. One more free spot for those of you still interviewing :thumbup: Good luck to you all next year, and enjoy that new student center! See you guys later when we are all doctors!! :)

Have fun at AZCOM man. That's your hometown school right?

I just went through and checked out the other Follies videos. Awesome little group and pretty funny videos. Can anyone explain what they're about though? Just a standard improv group?

Follies is sort of our med school prom and we have an entertainment part before the dance floor opens and students make funny videos. Usually the staff makes a video as well. this year the anatomy department did the music video

Have fun at AZCOM man. That's your hometown school right?

thanks! yeah it is. it was hard to pass them up bc they introduced me to osteopathy and my PCP's growing up were all AZCOM alums. also, AZCOM allow students to pick their third-year rotations before even paying the matriculation deposit. A BIG plus IMHO compared to KCUMB's lottery system. still hoping for a spot at my state-school (UA) :xf: At least I'll be rotating at UA-affiliated hospitals with AZCOM!

I'm sure this has been asked, and answered, multiple times in this thread somewhere, but could someone tell me info or show me the thread about 3rd and 4th year rotations?

I tried reading about them on the kcumb.edu website, and I think that they have a set list that you apply for? Is it a lottery system? or are those their sponsored core sites they provide and we can apply for other sites if we want?

My brother graduated from WVSOM a few years ago and he was able to do a 4th year rotation back home in Texas with our DO PCP that we grew up with, are we able to do things like that at KCUMB or no? Any info would be awesome...

I'm sure this has been asked, and answered, multiple times in this thread somewhere, but could someone tell me info or show me the thread about 3rd and 4th year rotations?

I tried reading about them on the kcumb.edu website, and I think that they have a set list that you apply for? Is it a lottery system? or are those their sponsored core sites they provide and we can apply for other sites if we want?

My brother graduated from WVSOM a few years ago and he was able to do a 4th year rotation back home in Texas with our DO PCP that we grew up with, are we able to do things like that at KCUMB or no? Any info would be awesome...

4th year rotations are mostly elective, so you can apply to do them just about anywhere.

These are their 3rd year rotations (which you are assigned based on a lottery, if you are not in the MBA program which gives you KC priority):

AL

Alabama Medical Education Consortium - Mobile
PO Box 2387
Robertsdale, AL 36567
[email protected]
Alabama Medical Education Consortium - Birmingham
c/o Cooper Green Hospital
1515 Sixth Ave. South
Birmingham, AL 35233
[email protected]
Alabama Medical Education Consortium - Dothan
c/o SAMC Physician Resource Center
1108 Ross Clark Circle
Dothan, AL 36301-3088
[email protected]
Alabama Medical Education Consortium - Montgomery
AMEC - Montgomery
4371 Narrow Lane Road, Ste 100
Montgomery, AL 36116
[email protected]

CO

Colorado Osteopathic Education Center - Denver
Colorado Osteo Educ Center (COEC)
8401 S. Chambers Rd.
Parker, CO 80134
[email protected]
Colorado Osteopathic Education Center - Grand Junction
Colorado Osteo Educ Center (COEC)
8401 S. Chambers Rd.
Parker, CO 80134
[email protected]

FL

Florida Hospital East Orlando
Florida Hospital East Orlando
7975 Lake Underhill Rd., Ste 200
Orlando, FL 32822
[email protected]
Gulf Coast Hospital
c/o Florida Osteopathic Medical Association
PO Box 101409
Cape Coral, FL 33910-1409
[email protected]
Palm Beach Centre for Graduate Medical Education
Palm Beach Centre for Graduate Med Ed
2201 45th St., Rm. 308
West Palm Beach, FL 33407
[email protected]

IA

Trinity Bettendorf
Trinity Bettendorf
4500 Utica Ridge Road
Bettendorf, IA 52722
[email protected]
IN
Deaconess Family Medicine Residency
Deaconess Family Medicine Residency
515 Read Street
Evansville, IN 47710-1700
[email protected]

KS

Via Christi Health
Via Christi Clinic, Frederic C Chang
707 N. Emporia
Wichita, KS 67214
[email protected]

MI

Henry Ford Macomb Hospital
Henry Ford Macomb Hospital
15855 Nineteen Mile Rd.
Clinton Township, MI 48038
[email protected]
Mount Clemens Regional Medical Center
Mount Clemens Regional Medical Center
1000 Harrington Blvd.
Mt. Clemens, MI 48043
[email protected]
Oakwood Southshore Medical Center
Oakwood Southshore Medical Center
5450 Fort Street
Trenton, MI 48183
[email protected]
Pontiac Osteopathic Hospital
Pontiac Osteopathic Hospital
50 N. Perry Street
Pontiac, MI 48058
[email protected]
St. John Macomb Hospital
11800 E. 12 Mile Road
Warren, MI 48093
[email protected]
St. John Oakland Hospital
St. John Oakland Hospital
27351 De Quindre
Madison Heights, MI 48071-3499
[email protected]
St. Joseph Mercy Oakland Hospital
44405 Woodward Avenue
Pontiac, MI 48341
[email protected]

MO

Capital Region Medical Center
http://www.crmc.org/
Capital Region Medical Center
1125 Madison Street
Jefferson City, MO 65102
[email protected]

Des Peres Hospital
Des Peres Hospital
2345 Dougherty Ferry Road
St. Louis, MO 63122
[email protected]
Freeman Hospital & Health System
Freeman Hospital & Health System
1102 W. 32nd Street
Joplin, MO 64804-3599
[email protected]
Kansas City, MO
Community Clinical Education
1750 Independence Ave.
Kansas City, MO 64106
[email protected]
Mid-Missouri AHEC - Marshall
Phelps County Regional Medical Center
Mid-MO AHEC, 1000 W. 10th St.
Rolla, MO 65401
[email protected]
Mid-Missouri AHEC - Rolla
Phelps County Regional Medical Center
Mid-MO AHEC, 1000 W. 10th St.
Rolla, MO 65401
[email protected]
Southeast Missouri AHEC - Cape Girardeau/Sikeston
Southeast Missouri AHEC
2330 N. Westwood Blvd.
Poplar Bluff, MO 63901
[email protected]
Southeast Missouri AHEC - Farmington
Southeast Missouri AHEC
2330 N. Westwood Blvd.
Poplar Bluff, MO 63901
[email protected]
Southeast Missouri AHEC - Kennett
Southeast Missouri AHEC
2330 N. Westwood Blvd.
Poplar Bluff, MO 63901
[email protected]
Southeast Missouri AHEC - Poplar Bluff
Southeast Missouri AHEC
2330 N. Westwood Blvd.
Poplar Bluff, MO 63901
[email protected]
Southeast Missouri AHEC - West Plains
Southeast Missouri AHEC
2330 N. Westwood Blvd.
Poplar Bluff, MO 63901
[email protected]
Southwest Missouri AHEC
Southwest Missouri AHEC
c/o MSU - 901 S. National
Springfield, MO 65897
[email protected]

MS

Magnolia Regional Health Center
Magnolia Regional Health Center
611 Alcorn Drive
Corinth, MS 38834
[email protected]

NJ

St. Michael's Medical Center
St. Michael's Medical Center
111 Central Ave.
Newark, NJ 07102
[email protected]

NY

St. Barnabas Hospital
St. Barnabas Hospital
183rd &Third Ave.
Bronx, NY 10457
[email protected]

OH

Affinity Medical Center
875 8th St. NE
Massilon, OH 44646
[email protected]
Fireland's Regional Medical Center
Fireland's Regional Medical Center
South Campus, 1912 Hayes Ave.
Sandusky, OH 44870
[email protected]
Grandview Hospital
Grandview Hospital
405 Grand Avenue
Dayton, OH 45405
[email protected]
Mercy St. Vincent Medical Center
Mercy St. Vincent Medical Center
2213 Cherry St.
DEC Bldg 2nd Floor
Toledo, OH 43608
[email protected]
OhioHealth - Doctors Hospital
OhioHealth - Doctors Hospital
50 Old Village Road, Suite 210
Columbus, OH 43228
[email protected]
South Pointe Hospital
South Pointe Hospital
OU CORE Office, 20000 Harvard Rd.
Warrensville Heights, OH 44122
[email protected]
St. Joseph Health Center
St. Joseph Health Center
667 Eastland Ave., S.E.
Warren, OH 44484
[email protected]
Summa Western Reserve Hospital
Summa Western Reserve Hospital
1900 23rd Street
Cuyahoga Falls, OH 44223
[email protected]
west
Affinity Medical Center Massillon Campus
400 Austin Avenue, N.W.
Massilon, OH 44646

OK

INTEGRIS Southwest Medical Center
INTEGRIS Southwest Medical Center
4401 S. Western
Oklahoma City, OK 73109
[email protected]

PA
.Mercy Catholic Medical Center.
Mercy Fitzgerald Hospital
1500 Lansdowne Ave, Mail Stop 44
Darby, PA 19023
[email protected]
.Mercy Suburban Hospital.
Mercy Suburban Hospital
2701 DeKalb Pike
Norristown, PA 19401
[email protected].

ahh, that makes more sense. so 3rd year is somewhere on that list, and fourth year is where we apply/choose according to the requirements of specialties we have to fill?

for the 3rd year sites, is it purely lottery or can we enter top choices and then lottery from there? my bro and his wife are residents at Doctor's in OH so that'd be sweet if I could be there!!

4th year rotations are mostly elective, so you can apply to do them just about anywhere.

These are their 3rd year rotations (which you are assigned based on a lottery, if you are not in the MBA program which gives you KC priority

How old is this list for 3rd year rotations? I know of at least one hospital on there that wasn't available this past year (my friend currently attends KCUMB and wanted to be placed there but it wasn't an option give to them).

ahh, that makes more sense. so 3rd year is somewhere on that list, and fourth year is where we apply/choose according to the requirements of specialties we have to fill?

for the 3rd year sites, is it purely lottery or can we enter top choices and then lottery from there? my bro and his wife are residents at Doctor's in OH so that'd be sweet if I could be there!!

Fourth year is based on requirements (Sub-I's, PC, etc.) and electives, which are your choice. They could be all the same, all different, and just about anywhere that will accept you to rotate there.

I think most people misunderstand the concept of a lottery when it comes to rotations (I'm not even presuming to completely understand it). When people talk about a lottery, it does not mean you will be randomly placed into a hospital that you have no say it, it means that you will select your top X number of choices and from there the school will place this into a hat pulling algorithm that will place people into their choices based on preference and lottery outcome.

How old is this list for 3rd year rotations? I know of at least one hospital on there that wasn't available this past year (my friend currently attends KCUMB and wanted to be placed there but it wasn't an option give to them).

I compiled this list from the KCUMB website on November 7th, 2010. So about 4 months ago. I'm not sure how often KCUMB updates their list, but if you wanted a more current one than is available on their website, you could always just ask their clinical coordinator for that data.

withdrawing my acceptance for something closer to home. hope someone on the waitlist gets it!

Good luck everyone! I really loved KCUMB and know you guys will too.

For anyone still on the fence about KCUMB, be sure to check out the match lists of each of the schools that you are considering, although you should probably check KCUMB's last, as you will be floored by how awesome the list is... it is truly amazing.

Here is a link to KCUMB's match list webpage...

If anyone is curious, I received an e-mail today that the class had been filled and those interviewing 3/31 (that's me) will be interviewing for wait list positions. Does anyone know how many they have taken from the alternate in past years?

If anyone is curious, I received an e-mail today that the class had been filled and those interviewing 3/31 (that's me) will be interviewing for wait list positions. Does anyone know how many they have taken from the alternate in past years?

That's a bummer, man. :(

I'm guessing there will be some movement around the middle to end of May as people get in off of Waitlists at other schools. I don't have any figures, but I would find it hard to believe there wouldn't be any movement, unless they over-accepted.

The only problem I could see is that $2000 is a lot of money, so if they do have movement, it is going to be with people who can afford to just walk away from that kind of cash. Either that, or they are hell bent on getting into a different school (which I personally can't see a school that I applied to that I would be willing to walk away from $2K to go to instead... although I LOVE KCUMB so I am a bit biased). Anyways, like Moose said, I find it hard to believe that there will be no movement, I just hope it is enough to give you a shot. Good luck to you! I hope everything works out.

Best.

The only problem I could see is that $2000 is a lot of money, so if they do have movement, it is going to be with people who can afford to just walk away from that kind of cash. Either that, or they are hell bent on getting into a different school (which I personally can't see a school that I applied to that I would be willing to walk away from $2K to go to instead... although I LOVE KCUMB so I am a bit biased). Anyways, like Moose said, I find it hard to believe that there will be no movement, I just hope it is enough to give you a shot. Good luck to you! I hope everything works out.

Best.

I agree. The school is awesome, and it would be tough to walk away from 2k, but if the "other" school is less money, say 10k less per year, then the savings of losing the 2k is still >38k. That's a mansion in Detroit! haha

I agree. The school is awesome, and it would be tough to walk away from 2k, but if the "other" school is less money, say 10k less per year, then the savings of losing the 2k is still >38k. That's a mansion in Detroit! haha

I agree with you completely, but thinking about how hard I had to work to save 2k in real money (as in, not Uncle Sam's money that I will repay when I am making significantly more than 2 or 40k), I would think really long and hard about having to come up with another 2k NOW in real money. As soon as school starts, that all becomes moot, but knowing the temp jobs that we all have, I don't even know who could generate that additional revenue so quickly.

Haha about the mansion in Detroit... I have a friend who just moved from there, that said he wouldn't be caught dead in a mansion in Detroit, but at least they are cheap. ;)

You are right economically about the tuition savings, but KCUMB is so cool that no one would want to give up their spots even to be closer to mommy and daddy at their cheaper schools... =) I am so pumped about next year!

You are right economically about the tuition savings, but KCUMB is so cool that no one would want to give up their spots even to be closer to mommy and daddy at their cheaper schools... =) I am so pumped about next year!

Truer words have never been spoken. How killer is our class, the FB group is poppin' off like no other!

I agree with you completely, but thinking about how hard I had to work to save 2k in real money (as in, not Uncle Sam's money that I will repay when I am making significantly more than 2 or 40k), I would think really long and hard about having to come up with another 2k NOW in real money. As soon as school starts, that all becomes moot, but knowing the temp jobs that we all have, I don't even know who could generate that additional revenue so quickly.

Haha about the mansion in Detroit... I have a friend who just moved from there, that said he wouldn't be caught dead in a mansion in Detroit, but at least they are cheap. ;)

Truer words have never been spoken. How killer is our class, the FB group is poppin' off like no other!

Fo' Sho' gentlemen, fo' sho'!

Hey all I'm going to call in on Monday to to ask this but...is the paper work really do within 60 days of getting them (immunizations)? If so mine is due April 14 but I'd really like to turn it in mid May (health insurance reasons and tb shot being within 3 months)....has anyone called about this yet?

Hey all I'm going to call in on Monday to to ask this but...is the paper work really do within 60 days of getting them (immunizations)? If so mine is due April 14 but I'd really like to turn it in mid May (health insurance reasons and tb shot being within 3 months)....has anyone called about this yet?

They said it didn't need to be complete, but they would like all the forms by the 14th. So, if you still need some immunizations then you can submit it without those, then you'll need to update them when you get them.

If you do have any questions about this, I would still call on Monday. ;)

is there a cutoff mcat score for KCUMB?

I don't believe so. Throughout this entire process, I have thought that of all the schools I applied to, KCUMB has been the most open about considering more than just your scores (GPA / MCAT). I felt like my scores were glanced over for what I believed to be more important parts of my application (in my interview). I would say the lower the MCAT, the earlier you should apply (I am assuming you are planning for the next cycle? This year's class is full). That is just simple odds ratio math.

On the KCUMB website they state that class of 2009 average MCAT was a 25. I think that is the mean, so if there are scores above that, there have to be scores below that. I would assume though that below a certain point you might have to explain what happened, but I don't know what that point is... Just do the best you can in all aspects of the application, and then give it a shot.

Best.

I don't believe so. Throughout this entire process, I have thought that of all the schools I applied to, KCUMB has been the most open about considering more than just your scores (GPA / MCAT). I felt like my scores were glanced over for what I believed to be more important parts of my application (in my interview). I would say the lower the MCAT, the earlier you should apply (I am assuming you are planning for the next cycle? This year's class is full). That is just simple odds ratio math.

On the KCUMB website they state that class of 2009 average MCAT was a 25. I think that is the mean, so if there are scores above that, there have to be scores below that. I would assume though that below a certain point you might have to explain what happened, but I don't know what that point is... Just do the best you can in all aspects of the application, and then give it a shot.

Best.

Honestly, that's a pretty low MCAT average. But that was what, 6 years ago? I hope they've risen by now.

They didn't send this as a joke! Yes you NEED to turn in your paperwork filled out by a HC provider and a physical done by a physician. As for the tb TEST, just get one quick and send it in! At the very least I would send them what you have thus far. I dont think they would keep you from matriculating if you dont, but I wouldn't push my luck either...

I interviewed here on 3/9. Was the class already full at that point or do the people who interviewed then have a shot at a seat?

Hey I was wonderig if anyone could give me an idea of what an interview is like at KCUMB?