KCUMB M.S. vs. GA-PCOM biomedical program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fkrondor

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, everyone, just wondering if I can get a little input into a decision I need to make by Monday. I have gained admittance into the KCUMB M. S. Program in biomedical sciences, as well as the GA-PCOM biomedical sciences certificate program. I know it is generally best to go with the M.S., but I cannot find info on the tuition, etc., of the GA-PCOM program. I suppose it could be considerably cheaper since it is not a Master's.

Also, in terms of admittance into a degree program, would one be better than the other in transitioning into a medical program, if not at the same school as the biomed? I know PCOM is well known, as is KCUMB, but does that translate to GA-PCOM?

Does anyone know if one of the schools is more likely to accept a student from it's biomedical program vs. the other school? I know at KCUMB, if you maintain a 3.5 GPA while in the program, they guarantee you an interview. They don't specify how much the MCAT comes into play for D.O. admits from the biomed program. GA-PCOM guarantees nothing, even with a 4.0 GPA, but perhaps it's easier to be admitted into the D. O. Program?

I do not have the best stats...3.2 overall GPA, 22Q MCAT (KCUMB offers an MCAT prep course to improve this weakness, not sure about GA-PCOM), so statistic wise, I would think GA-PCOM may be slightly easier to get into due to their slightly lower average stats? KCUMB stats rival some of the MD schools, which I know my stats are not good enough for.

Thanks for any info you can give me.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
KCUMB loves its MS students, and I'm not sure but I think almost all of them were admitted into the DO program after they applied. Good luck with your decision.

$706/ credit, do you know how many credits comprise the 1- year graduate certificate at GA-PCOM? I looked for a curriculum, but I must have missed it. Anyone know if we get an MCAT prep class like we get at KCUMB?

Also, are the loans for the GA-PCOM grad certificate federal or private?

Thanks

$706/ credit, do you know how many credits comprise the 1- year graduate certificate at GA-PCOM? I looked for a curriculum, but I must have missed it. Anyone know if we get an MCAT prep class like we get at KCUMB?

Also, are the loans for the GA-PCOM grad certificate federal or private?

Thanks

Although I did not go through the PCOM Biomedical Program (BMP) , I am an incoming DO student to GA-PCOM and did research the BMP a bit before I was accepted, so I'll try to fill in some info.

The PCOM biomedical certificate program is essentially the 1st year of their masters program. I believe first year is about 25-27 credit hours worth of classes. As far as financial aid, I'm pretty you can qualify for federal loans...but don't quote me on that.

The PCOM BMP does not provide MCAT prep, although I've heard that the course work does help to a degree (probably mostly in the BS section). Therefore, you'd be on your own to prepare for the MCAT...although I'm sure other students in the program are in the same boat as you and you could probably form a study group with them.

Also, GA-PCOM shows much love to their Biomedical students. I believe they accepted about 12 of them into our current 2015 DO class.

One more thing I forgot to mention, that PCOM BMP students who maintain a certain average (3.0 maybe?) are guaranteed an interview when applying to the DO program assuming that they have a completed application. Best of luck in your choice.