KCUMB vs DMU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
He's really not that strict guys lol....the culture is not intimidating AT ALL, in fact I've always felt it's been very collaborating and welcoming---and that's from someone who has southern ties. He wants people to reach their potential, but I don't think anyone thinks he is too harsh...most people are just confident he will bring out the best in them

This... Our atmosphere isn't military-esque at all. Everyone is there to help everyone else; all the professors, including him, are willing to talk to you about things and get you help if you need it.
He's the one that did away with mandatory attendance and the professional dress code policy for our class.
He likes things done a certain way, sure, but all admins do. I feel like a certain genetics professor at kcumb is more stuck her ways than he is about how things go.....

Also, Dr Dubin was Air Force reserve for a few years.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
As a M1 at KCUMB I think the whole KCUMB curriculum hiccups are being a bit hyper inflated here. I am actually impressed how smooth the transition was and the hiccups that did occur were nothing more than what happens anywhere else. The C/O 2019 is going to have no problem.
I seriously feel I won the lottery by going to KCUMB and of stoked for our class to kill the boards. DMUs simulation lab is killer but is not nearly as important as curriculum and board prep. Simulators are pretty anticlimatic and always leave me wanting more real life examples. And you will probably only spend 10 hour (a very liberal number, I think we spent an hour this semester total)
Dean Dubin is pretty tense but he would do anything to give us a foot up. He cares but just shows it in interesting way.

Reactions: 3 users
This... Our atmosphere isn't military-esque at all. Everyone is there to help everyone else; all the professors, including him, are willing to talk to you about things and get you help if you need it.
He's the one that did away with mandatory attendance and the professional dress code policy for our class.
He likes things done a certain way, sure, but all admins do. I feel like a certain genetics professor at kcumb is more stuck her ways than he is about how things go.....

other schools could sure learn a thing or two from this guy.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
As a M1 at KCUMB I think the whole KCUMB curriculum hiccups are being a bit hyper inflated here. I am actually impressed how smooth the transition was and the hiccups that did occur were nothing more than what happens anywhere else. The C/O 2019 is going to have no problem.
I seriously feel I won the lottery by going to KCUMB and of stoked for our class to kill the boards. DMUs simulation lab is killer but is not nearly as important as curriculum and board prep. Simulators are pretty anticlimatic and always leave me wanting more real life examples. And you will probably only spend 10 hour (a very liberal number, I think we spent an hour this semester total)
Dean Dubin is pretty tense but he would do anything to give us a foot up. He cares but just shows it in interesting way.

+1, the hiccups haven't been too bad and I'm really surprised how smooth the transition has been to the new curriculum.

I was rewatching Dubin's bioethics lecture the other day. I'm not sure if you remember this but half way he stopped and started talking about how impressed he was with our class. He said something along the lines of "We've been kicking the **** out of you guys and you're doing really well. That doesn't mean we're going to ease up. I want to make sure you guys get where you want to go."

I always tell applicants to evaluate the product for themselves. Don't buy into the hype and expensive gadgetry.

Having said that, both DMU and KCUMB were my top schools when I was applying. I would have been happy going to either one. I just felt one was a better fit for me.

Reactions: 1 user

other schools could sure learn a thing or two from this guy.

Sooo uhh, everyone else having fun studying for the bioethics tomorrow?

I always tell applicants to evaluate the product for themselves. Don't buy into the hype and expensive gadgetry.

looking back on interviewing I can see how so many of the schools focused on gadgets and facilities during tours and I am so glad someone strongly advised me against that playing a large part as to why one school was better than another.
I think OMM is a big factor on deciding which school to go to. If you think you like the idea of OMM go to a school that has the least amount of OMM focus. I thought I was stoked on it but realize the time drain it can be.