KCUMB vs. LECOM vs. VCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gracie84

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have searched through various threads but I am posting this for some very specific answers. So please if some one could give me their two cents on these issues:

How are the clinical rotations at each of these sites? I am looking for good rotations in east but with less hassle. I have heard that LECOM has a lot of issue with rotations. Also I want to rotate in urban areas which I guess puts VCOM out of the picture?

Also I have seen the match list for KCUMB but not for the other two schools. How are the residency matches for competitive spots?

My dilemma stems from the fact that VCOM is closest to home, LECOM is cheapest and KCUMB is the more established school. And all of these factors are important.

Oh and please don't tell me that I am the best person to make the decision or that it all depends on what I make out of my education. That is not the reason I posted this.

Members don't see this ad.

I didn't interview at KCUMB. I can't comment on the school. However, I interviewed with VCOM and LECOM; I was accepted at both. If I had to choose between the two, I would pick VCOM. Cost is not a factor here. VCOM is slightly more expensive (~$3000) in terms of tuition. However, cost of living should be similar based on location.

I didn't have the "feeling" at LECOM. However, I did have it at VCOM. I would be matriculating to VCOM if I was not accepted to PCOM. Ultimately, I could not give up those opportunities that Philadelphia and PCOM can offer medical students. VCOM's match list seemed impressive. Here's a link for 2008: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=11473&d=1227897986 The only lifestyle specialty they didn't match was derm. As we know, extremely competitive for rads, optho, and even anesth. Why does this matter? VCOM obviously has great resources for its students to excel if they want.

VCOM has collaboration with an established undergrad providing excellent resources to the student body. I was impressed with LECOM in this regard, specifically the new center being built. Great resource for the students.

My only dislike for VCOM was how it did OMM. Did not like the setup.

I'd choose VCOM.

Apart from using the VT facilities such as the library etc. what other advantage thus the affiliation give VCOM. I asked around but maybe I did not ask the right people.

Members don't see this ad :)
Apart from using the VT facilities such as the library etc. what other advantage thus the affiliation give VCOM. I asked around but maybe I did not ask the right people.

you need to check out the VCOM discussion thread...there is a list of benefits...read up a little bit about the school

where are you from VA? VCOM has urban rotating areas. I am doing my rotations next yr in Norfolk/portsmouth, VA!! We have pretty solid rotations in NJ, VA, NC, SC.

please ask specific questions as to what you need to know and i will be more than happy to answer them. I love VCOM and this school will rock your socks off....i picked it with choices of wvsom, pcom, and pcsom.

I picked LECOM over WVSOM, LMU-DCOM, AZCOM, PCSOM, and ATSU-SOMA. I am still on the alternate list at KCOM.

For me, location, curriculum and cost are most important. I also tried to contact current students at each of the schools and get the inside scoop on questions I had. LECOM has pretty solid rotation sites. Of course, they have a new campus opening up at Seton Hill, but they have been preparing for that for a while now (according to Admissions). Certain rotation sites, such as any hospitals in the Millcreek network, as well as ones in NY and Cleveland, will always be available b/c they have established relationships with LECOM. Also, they give you the opportunity to set up your own if you need to be in a certain area.

I also like how LECOM students are active in the community. Although they have strict rules, I find them to be small issues in the scheme of things. I am in the PBL pathway, so I feel confident about the education I will be receiving. I am not yet a student there, though, so I can't speak in more detail.

GOOD LUCK! :luck:

you need to check out the VCOM discussion thread...there is a list of benefits...read up a little bit about the school

where are you from VA? VCOM has urban rotating areas. I am doing my rotations next yr in Norfolk/portsmouth, VA!! We have pretty solid rotations in NJ, VA, NC, SC.

please ask specific questions as to what you need to know and i will be more than happy to answer them. I love VCOM and this school will rock your socks off....i picked it with choices of wvsom, pcom, and pcsom.

I know that for a new school VCOM has done very well. But my main concern was that does being a new school hinder your chances for competitive residencies? Also I guess this is more personal to me but I am looking to move to a bigger city than Blacksburg. I see medical school as a chance to see more of this country although its debatable how much free time I will get. And that is another reason I am concerned athough this will be close to family.

Oh and how do the rotation get assigned? Is it a lottery system?

I didn't interview at KCUMB. I can't comment on the school. However, I interviewed with VCOM and LECOM; I was accepted at both. If I had to choose between the two, I would pick VCOM. Cost is not a factor here. VCOM is slightly more expensive (~$3000) in terms of tuition. However, cost of living should be similar based on location.

I didn't have the "feeling" at LECOM. However, I did have it at VCOM. I would be matriculating to VCOM if I was not accepted to PCOM. Ultimately, I could not give up those opportunities that Philadelphia and PCOM can offer medical students. VCOM's match list seemed impressive. Here's a link for 2008: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=11473&d=1227897986 The only lifestyle specialty they didn't match was derm. As we know, extremely competitive for rads, optho, and even anesth. Why does this matter? VCOM obviously has great resources for its students to excel if they want.

VCOM has collaboration with an established undergrad providing excellent resources to the student body. I was impressed with LECOM in this regard, specifically the new center being built. Great resource for the students.

My only dislike for VCOM was how it did OMM. Did not like the setup.

I'd choose VCOM.

Thanks for the match list. I did not pay much attention to how the OMM was set up though and now I am cursing myself. Did I miss something important?

I picked LECOM over WVSOM, LMU-DCOM, AZCOM, PCSOM, and ATSU-SOMA. I am still on the alternate list at KCOM.

For me, location, curriculum and cost are most important. I also tried to contact current students at each of the schools and get the inside scoop on questions I had. LECOM has pretty solid rotation sites. Of course, they have a new campus opening up at Seton Hill, but they have been preparing for that for a while now (according to Admissions). Certain rotation sites, such as any hospitals in the Millcreek network, as well as ones in NY and Cleveland, will always be available b/c they have established relationships with LECOM. Also, they give you the opportunity to set up your own if you need to be in a certain area.

I also like how LECOM students are active in the community. Although they have strict rules, I find them to be small issues in the scheme of things. I am in the PBL pathway, so I feel confident about the education I will be receiving. I am not yet a student there, though, so I can't speak in more detail.

GOOD LUCK! :luck:

I had heard a few people whine about the rotations although the sites looked good to me. LECOM is great location wise because of its proximity to Buffalo, Cleveland and even Toronto (I have family there). It would cost me almost as much as VCOM not much of a difference. I have read the thread about the concerns people have about LECOM. I still cannot get a definite answer to whether the admin works with you to set up rotations on your own. Or if they are helpful in general? I have heard mixed reviews.

Not sure about Seton Hill. Also I was very excited about PBL but the lack of anatomy lab was a concern there.

But I have let go off WVSOM too. It was too expensive. And although older than LECOM I did not get the feeling there.