KCUMB vs. Touro-NV (residency in CA)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AnonymousDo

You can call me Dr. Star
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, everyone. So I recently have been accepted to both schools and am having a hard time deciding between the two. I’m from socal and don’t mind moving away from home but I’m pretty sure I would want to come back to socal for residency. What I'm asking is if touro-nv would provide much of an advantage, if any, over KCUMB considering it’s in closer proximity to socal residencies. Like would it enable me to make more connections to socal hospitals? Let me know what you guys think. Maybe I can gain some insight :D

Touro-NV Pros:

- I think the location is good. Close to home and no snow and the strip is 20 minutes away (I’m from a big city)
- Easier to make connections with socal residencies? Idk
- Friendly students/faculty

Touro-NV Cons:
- Cost is higher
- Facilities are the least impressive I’ve seen
- Environment of the school was nothing special
- Curriculum/board scores/pass rates are all average
- Newer, less established school
- The school is not very transparent about rotations. I don't know much about it. All I hear is that it's one of two med schools there so finding rotations wouldn't be hard, but that doesn't tell me anything about the quality of the rotations.

KCUMB Pros:
- Much more established, great reputation
- New modified systems based curriculum
- Great facilities, beautiful campus/environment
- Students/faculty looked very happy
- Rotations – some looked really strong
- Cheaper tuition

KCUMB Cons:
- Farther from home. Being away from my family and getting out of my comfort zone (could be a good thing)
- There’s snow (I’ve never seen/experienced snow before)
- Not sure if I’ll have a harder time trying to match in socal but I guess audition rotations would help there

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
do not pick a med school based on the assumption of landing a california residency, imo.

perhaps the only socal residencies you could "bank on landing" would be family med, but - again imo - with the recent merger you need to realize that the once protected FM residencies in so cal are now fair game to all med students. Considering california is one of the most desired states to live in, the merger just made these spots that much more competitive. What does it mean to be competitive? I have no effing idea. x).

If we're talking strictly business: go to the school that is going to make you the most competitive applicant possible. This will take you further than any pre-concieved notion of what you want to practice and where you will be able to land a residency.

Again this is all just an opinion. pick what you want. I myself have my own opinion of the schools, but based off what you are saying in your pros/cons list I would pick kcumb.

if it were me (i feel like i repeat myself alot on sdn) i would pick a school based off these factors alone.
Cost? If they are relatively close to one another this should not be your primary concern.
Location? You're going to spend most of your time indoors studying, this should not be a primary concern.
ms1: best opportunity of landing a summer research project. Again, this is not to say you will land a research project, but what I'm asking you to consider is which school gives you the best probability of landing a research project, which will ultimately lead to a poster presentation/publication.
ms2: best school schedule to accommodate for board studying/research.
ms3: best exposure to pathology. Pro tip: look up the hospitals the school is affiliated with and look up things like admits per year (use government websites. Yes they exist. Look hard enough and you will find them), 25 most common diagnoses (use government sites), GME offered by the hospitals, famous faculty on staff, etc.
ms4: most lenient for away rotations.

Last edited:
do not pick a med school based on the assumption of landing a california residency, imo.

perhaps the only socal residencies you could "bank on landing" would be family med, but - again imo - with the recent merger you need to realize that the once protected FM residencies in so cal are now fair game to all med students. Considering california is one of the most desired states to live in, the merger just made these spots that much more competitive. What does it mean to be competitive? I have no effing idea. x).

If we're talking strictly business: go to the school that is going to make you the most competitive applicant possible. This will take you further than any pre-concieved notion of what you want to practice and where you will be able to land a residency.

Again this is all just an opinion. pick what you want. I myself have my own opinion of the schools, but based off what you are saying in your pros/cons list I would pick kcumb.

if it were me (i feel like i repeat myself alot on sdn) i would pick a school based off these factors alone.
Cost? If they are relatively close to one another this should not be your primary concern.
Location? You're going to spend most of your time indoors studying, this should not be a primary concern.
ms1: best opportunity of landing a summer research project. Again, this is not to say you will land a research project, but what I'm asking you to consider is which school gives you the best probability of landing a research project, which will ultimately lead to a poster presentation/publication.
ms2: best school schedule to accommodate for board studying/research.
ms3: best exposure to pathology. Pro tip: look up the hospitals the school is affiliated with and look up things like admits per year (use government websites. Yes they exist. Look hard enough and you will find them), 25 most common diagnoses (use government sites), GME offered by the hospitals, famous faculty on staff, etc.
ms4: most lenient for away rotations.

Thanks so much for your input. I had already been thinking what you were thinking and I think my decision is a lot easier now :D