KCUMB vs UNLV

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheWhiteWolfMD

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I really don't know what to do in this situation. I probably would get a better education at the 100 year old DO school than the 1 year old MD school in Las Vegas which in itself is not notorious for its quality of healthcare. Money isn't an issue, would prefer to move to KC also so location doesn't matter. I get split advice when I ask this also, both parents are in healthcare in Las Vegas and both advise KCU over UNLV.

What does everyone think about this?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I really don't know what to do in this situation. I probably would get a better education at the 100 year old DO school than the 1 year old MD school in Las Vegas which in itself is not notorious for its quality of healthcare. Money isn't an issue, would prefer to move to KC also so location doesn't matter. I get split advice when I ask this also, both parents are in healthcare in Las Vegas and both advise KCU over UNLV (Dad is an MD).

KCU is a great program - there is no denying that - but I think the uncertainty surrounding 1) DO seat explosion/quality control and 2) the upcoming merger's impacts on DO students makes UNLV the clear choice.

I'm a DO student at one of the original DO schools and 100% (even more than 100%) go to the US MD school. Literally no idea why your own father would tell you to go to a DO school over a USMD school.

So many reasons about why, I just don't have the time to write out the diatribe. But, trust me GO TO THE US MD school. Your life will be so much easier on so many levels. I'm a below average student and the specialities I could match into as a US MD compared to my situation is sickening (again, I'm a below average student). Ya ya I know we all go into med school thinking we are gonna smoke it and snag a 250 but what if you don't? What if you are bottom 1/3? What if you get a 200 step? As a US MD you could still match EM, Gas, Radiology, etc.. if you are a DO and have those stats and you apply to those fields, you are most likely clinically insane.
My parents are basing their opinion off where they think I would get the better education which I agree with them on but I also know what you are saying is right. Thanks for the response

I really don't know what to do in this situation. I probably would get a better education at the 100 year old DO school than the 1 year old MD school in Las Vegas which in itself is not notorious for its quality of healthcare. Money isn't an issue, would prefer to move to KC also so location doesn't matter. I get split advice when I ask this also, both parents are in healthcare in Las Vegas and both advise KCU over UNLV (Dad is an MD).

Do you consider yourself a risk adverse person? You have a very interesting situation....having done analysis similar to this, your best answer may be dependent on your tolerance of the uncertain vs. your level of peace derived from a given certainty.

Members don't see this ad :)
I’m in a similar situation in that I’ve been accepted to KCU and a great State MD school.

KCU is older, and I liked it much more than the state school. I liked the students better at KCU, the faculty I interacted with, everything.

But.... I have to go MD. For me, most of the issue isn’t even the whole MD vs. DO... The state MD school saves me ~100K in tuition and living expenses. It’s a no brained, as sad as that makes me.

In a better world I would get to go to the school I like (KCU)... but... This is the world we live in! Take the MD and run is my advice.

Reactions: 1 user
I gave up my spot at kcu to pursue my acceptance at Western Michigan. It’s a newer md school but based on everything I hear about DO prospects, you just have to pursue the MD school. If DO students even advise you against attending what does that tell you?
It sucks because I too really enjoyed the school and the overall vibe but in life sometimes you just have to go with the smarter choice over personal preference.

Reactions: 1 user
UNLV is a great new school with an awesome curriculum. I would suggest UNLV. An MD is much more valuable.