Keep DO acceptance or MD next year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
yes SOAP is for graduates who did not match. Theoretically, all of the students who are interested in neurosurgery should walk away and say they will do a gap year doing research in neurosurgery or working with a neurosurgeon. some of them do that. others will take up a different specialty for a year in the SOAP scramble, and reapply during that next year, within the first 2 months of entering in.
Got it. Seems very unwise to try and balance an FM or peds PGY-1 while also trying to publish and build your application for a neurosurg match the following year.

But to your prior point, I don't think pointing to something problematic that someone said should be strayed away from because of their age or stage in their career. My read of what he said was dishonesty, in a field where dishonesty can have serious consequences. I spoke partially out of frustration for all of the DO slamming but partially for accountability. I had the same thoughts before I withdrew and I was granted deferment. My partner snapped me out of it when they called the ethics into question.

Reactions: 1 users
Got it. Seems very unwise to try and balance an FM or peds PGY-1 while also trying to publish and build your application for a neurosurg match the following year.

But to your prior point, I don't think pointing to something problematic that someone said should be strayed away from because of their age or stage in their career. My read of what he said was dishonesty, in a field where dishonesty can have serious consequences. I spoke partially out of frustration for all of the DO slamming but partially for accountability. I had the same thoughts before I withdrew and I was granted deferment. My partner snapped me out of it when they called the ethics into question.

Please dont take my statements figuratively, i just mentioned two specialties , one highly desired, and another less desired just as an example.

The real question is----- do you think these graduated physicians who are taking an alternate residency position with no intention of completing it are being dishonest ? Do you think the highly qualified program directors who are accepting them the very next year into a more prestigious specialty dont understand the dynamics of what is right and wrong, and cannot measure integrity and honesty ?

This is not just in the medical field, I can give you tons of parallel equivalency in the corporate world of well qualified people taking filler in positions, where their heart is not in the job, till they come across a more apt position for them.

Members don't see this ad :)
Please dont take my statements figuratively, i just mentioned two specialties , one highly desired, and another less desired just as an example.

The real question is----- do you think these graduated physicians who are taking an alternate residency position with no intention of completing it are being dishonest ? Do you think the highly qualified program directors who are accepting them the very next year into a more prestigious specialty dont understand the dynamics of what is right and wrong, and cannot measure integrity and honesty ?

This is not just in the medical field, I can give you tons of parallel equivalency in the corporate world of well qualified people taking filler in positions, where their heart is not in the job, till they come across a more apt position for them.

i 100% think a PD can detect that. I think an M3 that was committed to peds but has their surgical rotation last and suddenly they change their mind, they might not match into gen surg. Theyll have a trail of ECs to support their previous endeavor though.

In OPers inquiry, they’re worried folks won’t respect DOs the same. That’s way different.

i 100% think a PD can detect that. I think an M3 that was committed to peds but has their surgical rotation last and suddenly they change their mind, they might not match into gen surg. Theyll have a trail of ECs to support their previous endeavor though.

In OPers inquiry, they’re worried folks won’t respect DOs the same. That’s way different.

I give up, i tried my best to explain why bullying this kid is wrong. I gave you a classic example of true equivalency in behavior which you can choose to ignore.

Go ahead to your hearts content, and play this emotional turmoil with this kid, raising false standards of integrity and dishonesty, who is probably trying to make one of the most challenging decisions of his young life.

Look at your first statement, his/her question " makes my skin crawl" , seriously ???? This is a 22 year kid asking a question.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
I give up, i tried my best to explain why bullying this kid is wrong. I gave you a classic example of true equivalency in behavior which you can choose to ignore.

Go ahead to your hearts content, and play this emotional turmoil with this kid, raising false standards of integrity and dishonesty, who is probably trying to make one of the most challenging decisions of his young life.

Look at your first statement, his/her question " makes my skin crawl" , seriously ???? This is a 22 year kid asking a question.
I feel like we’re at a stand still.

I hear you. There is context that my initial statement was absent of and nuance to ethics and not a firm line. And I shouldn’t be trying to play arbiter of right and wrong.

I’m sorry, @ordinarycan1200, genuinely. I have not been trying to bully you. I shouldn’t have went off and said it makes my skin crawl.

Hi. You seem like you're a professional at this. Do you know if it's possible to defer my DO acceptance for a year in case I end up changing my mind about the MD? Or maybe if COVID is still a thing I could possibly start at the DO program while completing the classes for the conditional MD acceptance on the side since they'll be much easier in comparison. (If classes are partially or fully online as it will afford me more flexibility)

The second one is a strong no go. The preclinical classes are identical and transferring between autologous med schools is super rare at all.

As for the first, I still wouldn't do it. There exists some world where you could ask for a deferment and apply MD next year and blame it all on some vague family issues, but that's a deck of lies that'll likely unravel.

If I were you, I would stool or exit the chamber pot. It's the easiest.

David D, MD - USMLE and MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

I’ve yet to meet a surgeon who wishes they had become a pathologist lol

Just how many surgeons have you ate lunch with almost daily in the hospital doctors dining room over the past 40 years?

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
Just how many surgeons have you ate lunch with almost daily in the hospital doctors dining room over the past 40 years?

Point taken.
My statement was meant to be tongue in cheek. I’m sure it’s happened on (maybe one) occasion.

• Okay...
  • Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Again, I apologize if I offended any DOs. It was not my intention. It's just a life-altering decision for me and as a first-gen student raised by a single mom I do not have anyone to discuss this with. In my community even with an associate degree, you're considered one of the most educated people.

I'm leaning towards the MD route and holding myself to high standards during the prep program so that I can realize my full potential. This opportunity can also teach me things and allow me to be a role model for others like myself.

Thank you everyone for the invaluable advice!

If it's truly a "guaranteed MD acceptance" defer for a year. The residency options MD opens for you are worth one year salary, even if you ultimately stick to FM
As a DO, who practices FM, this specific statement regarding FM residency for an MD vs a DO and the world beyond is false. If one ultimately does FM, the degree at the end of their name doesn't make a difference that is significant.

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
As a DO, who practices FM, this specific statement regarding FM residency for an MD vs a DO and the world beyond is false. If one ultimately does FM, the degree at the end of their name doesn't make a difference that is significant.

I should clarify what I meant. What I'm saying is, I think it's worth the opportunity cost of deferring a year to give yourself the improved ability to match into a desired specialty, even if you ultimately don't choose to capitalize on that because a less competitive specialty is what you end up choosing to go into. I'm not saying go MD for your improved FM residency options. So you didn't "get" anything ultimately by going MD, except improved options you chose not to capitalize on. But when those options are as significant as what you're going to do for your career, I think that would be worth it

Last edited:
Does the md program have a true pass fail? If so, take that and enjoy the time off. I’m an ms1 and not having to compete with my class for ranks is a godsend

Members don't see this ad :)
Again, I apologize if I offended any DOs. It was not my intention. It's just a life-altering decision for me and as a first-gen student raised by a single mom I do not have anyone to discuss this with. In my community even with an associate degree, you're considered one of the most educated people.

I'm leaning towards the MD route and holding myself to high standards during the prep program so that I can realize my full potential. This opportunity can also teach me things and allow me to be a role model for others like myself.

Thank you everyone for the invaluable advice!

Knowing nothing else about your situation, I would go for MD personally.

Even though having a tentative 5 year plan is useful in interviews, there is absolutely no reason to pigeonhole yourself into a career at this stage in the game. Wait until you actually go on hospital rotations and learn about the culture and demands of each specialty before making a decision. Earning an MD will open up doors for you later on down the line and give you an edge applying to residency.

As long as the conditional acceptance is written on paper or publicly visible online, you're good to go.

Deferring the DO acceptance for a year is possible. But you'd have to offer a compelling reason + evidence in order to get it approved - by several seasoned professors. Citing your plan to undergo the MD bridge program likely won't work out.

I'm in a pickle. I currently have a DO acceptance and anticipating others but I have an opportunity to become an MD. I knew I wasn't a strong candidate for MD so I never made the effort to apply. However, an opportunity presented itself to me and I have a guaranteed spot at my state MD school if I complete their special program. I've already been accepted and there are no costs associated. However, I will be delaying my career by 1 year and I've always wanted to become a family doctor. I won't lie and say that I haven't fantasized about becoming an interventional radiologist or dermatologist but I never let those thoughts flourish because I knew that my prospects as a DO were limited.

My professors are encouraging me to take the DO and get on with my career. This would be a safe choice if I did not have a guaranteed MD acceptance (the program is very easy to pass from what the director told me and over 95% pass it and only those who never show up fail out which is rare to do in such an opportunity).

I come from a poor family so making a salary sooner than later is very attractive so that I no longer have to live off ramen and I can help my family financially. However, the public perception and bashing on DOs (Trump's doctor, the Figs ad) etc. have all been getting to me. I know that nobody cares what your letters are when you're a doctor but I always hear ads for local clinics on the radio advertising with "Dr. John Doe is a graduate of the [Insert prestigious MD school] and is specialized in orthopedic surgery" you can't advertise like that if you attend an osteopathic school. I also wouldn't have to deal with OMM, double boards, and will be around more interesting and well rounded people.

Any thoughts are appreciated!
It sounds to me like you have already made your mind up to attend an MD school. Not sure that MDs are more “well rounded” as I’m not sure what that even means lol. Many people in osteopathic schools come from a variety of backgrounds, learn the same curriculum as MD schools and additionally learn OMM. Just so you are aware, DOs are also orthopedic surgeons, neurologists etc. They practice in all disciplines and also learn OMM. If you aren’t interested in OMM and title is everything to you, I would suggest going the MD route then. Nothing wrong with either choice. Honestly depends on what you want out of it

• Love
"guaranteed spot at my state MD school" "program is very easy to pass from what the director told me and over 95% pass it"
I Would go with the MD route, Take one gap year off and discover your self, Who are you? Work on your self, travel, etc.

it's truly guaranteed. They technically "forbid" you from applying to other AMCAS schools (the advisor told me there's no way of knowing unless it's another local school and they talk to each other). I just want to make sure I'm not getting ahead of myself and end up regretting my decision.

Hi there.

I’m a non-trad student reading this thread & all I have to say up until reading this particular post is this: you will regret many things in your life. That’s guaranteed no matter what. You are young & whichever route you take, you will make mistakes. If you’re afraid to fail, you won’t make a good student, much less a good DO or MD.

Besides, my impressions of lurking/reading threads from SDN for the last decade & my own personal inquiries have been that DOs are just as capable. If you already know your passion is IM/FM, then either way will get you there. If you’re only doing this for getting money faster, that’s likely the wrong approach you’d be making fast.

And as far as deferments go, why make life harder by waiting? Unless you’re not sure you want to be a doctor.

• Love
If you want to go into IM, EM, FM, anesthesiology, PM&R, or neurology then MD v. DO probably doesn't matter. If there is a chance you could want to do something else, I'd try for allopathic medical school. I wonder if you could come up with a reason for a deferment and hold the acceptance for another year should you fail to be admitted to an allopathic medical program. Is this bridge program degree granting? Any way you could sell it as a 1 year "medical school preparatory experience?" Some schools may grant "academic" deferments.

P.S. Many guaranteed programs aren't really "guaranteed" unless you meet certain criteria (MCAT and program GPA). Make sure you can meet those requirements or risk burning bridges.
What about rads? I've heard it falls somewhere in the middle as far as competitiveness.

Personally, I would go the MD route because it will likely make you life easier down the road. You can use the gap year to makes extra $ so that you are not as deep in debt when you graduate.

I'm in a pickle. I currently have a DO acceptance and anticipating others but I have an opportunity to become an MD. I knew I wasn't a strong candidate for MD so I never made the effort to apply. However, an opportunity presented itself to me and I have a guaranteed spot at my state MD school if I complete their special program. I've already been accepted and there are no costs associated. However, I will be delaying my career by 1 year and I've always wanted to become a family doctor. I won't lie and say that I haven't fantasized about becoming an interventional radiologist or dermatologist but I never let those thoughts flourish because I knew that my prospects as a DO were limited.

My professors are encouraging me to take the DO and get on with my career. This would be a safe choice if I did not have a guaranteed MD acceptance (the program is very easy to pass from what the director told me and over 95% pass it and only those who never show up fail out which is rare to do in such an opportunity).

I come from a poor family so making a salary sooner than later is very attractive so that I no longer have to live off ramen and I can help my family financially. However, the public perception and bashing on DOs (Trump's doctor, the Figs ad) etc. have all been getting to me. I know that nobody cares what your letters are when you're a doctor but I always hear ads for local clinics on the radio advertising with "Dr. John Doe is a graduate of the [Insert prestigious MD school] and is specialized in orthopedic surgery" you can't advertise like that if you attend an osteopathic school. I also wouldn't have to deal with OMM, double boards, and will be around more interesting and well rounded people.

Any thoughts are appreciated!
Don't go the DO route. The osteopathic stuff is very culty and you'll be very unhappy with it. None of it is real. Wait a year. It won't kill you. Many of the DO students here will tell you otherwise but the standards for MD schools and DO school accreditation is very different. DO schools aren't even associated with their own hospitals. They've been a real cash grab. I'm not trying to offend DOs but if you have a choice, just take the MD route. One year won't kill you. But...be 100% sure you will get into an MD school before you turn down the DO acceptance.

• Dislike
  • Hmm
Reactions: 7 users
Don't go the DO route. The osteopathic stuff is very culty and you'll be very unhappy with it. None of it is real. Wait a year. It won't kill you. Many of the DO students here will tell you otherwise but the standards for MD schools and DO school accreditation is very different. DO schools aren't even associated with their own hospitals. They've been a real cash grab. I'm not trying to offend DOs but if you have a choice, just take the MD route. One year won't kill you. But...be 100% sure you will get into an MD school before you turn down the DO acceptance.

Excuse me but I have been an MD since1977. In my opinion,
you are all wet. “ very culty....none of it is real....”.
I worked closely with DO’s daily. I don’t think you have the background to know what you are talking about. If you HAVE been in practice for a decade or so; well, you’ve formed a strange opinion.

• Love
Reactions: 10 users
Excuse me but I have been an MD since1977. In my opinion,
you are all wet. “ very culty....none of it is real....”.
I worked closely with DO’s daily. I don’t think you have the background to know what you are talking about. If you HAVE been in practice for a decade or so; well, you’ve formed a strange opinion.
It’s probably a pre-med lol

Reactions: 1 user
Haven’t read the responses and don’t need to. If it truly is a guaranteed MD acceptance then go MD. Choose MD over DO always when there is a choice. If there are stipulations then go DO and make the most of it.

sincerely,

A DO student

• Love
Haven’t read the responses and don’t need to. If it truly is a guaranteed MD acceptance then go MD. Choose MD over DO always when there is a choice. If there are stipulations then go DO and make the most of it.

sincerely,

A DO student
What if you know you want to go into FM or PM&R and the DO school is cheaper + better location?

What if you know you want to go into FM or PM&R and the DO school is cheaper + better location?

If that is, indeed, the fact situation and unalterable I would do DO in a heartbeat.

I know more than a few people who thought they wanted FM and then ended up wanting a more competitive specialty so disagree with the premise of this scenario.

I know more than a few people who thought they wanted FM and then ended up wanting a more competitive specialty so disagree with the premise of this scenario.
That’s fair. But the reason I decided to pursue medicine in the first place was to help prevent our leading killers (CVD, cancer, diabetes). The only way I can truly do that is in FM (not so much in PM&R). Our healthcare system seems to be in shambles and outpatient primary care will be the only way we can turn it around. If I didn’t follow through with this, I would feel like a fraud for the rest of my life. Also, OMM seems to help those with chronic pain reduce the amount of pain medication they need. The Opioid crisis is the next biggest issue after chronic disease that I hope to address as a physician. So I feel that going DO would be a more than okay route for someone with similar goals and values to mine.

I’m sorry but I have to disagree. The practice of OMT is very real and incredibly helpful. That statement is just laughable. Every single MD I have rotated with (over 15) has asked me to either treat them with OMT or teach them how to use it. I also help run a free community clinic 2 times a week and I have plenty of patients that I have helped with a variety of conditions just utilizing OMT. You have no idea what you are talking about And unless you are a practicing DO you don’t really have much education to say anything on the subject because you weren’t taught any of the principles. If it’s all fake, I wonder if you have the same stance on PT (physical therapy) as we share many similar techniques. As for “culty”, I have no idea what that even means, other than we believe something works because it does . If by “not associated with our own hospitals” you mean that we have plenty of options to rotate in other areas then that is accurate, but we have our own places to rotate for 3rd year and my DO school has a level 2 trauma hospital that is mainly for us but allows other students from various colleges (MD and DO) to rotate there because education should not be a monopoly. I feel sorry for the people who think it should be.

• Love
Reactions: 7 users

:whoa:

I shadowed a physician who had no care about anyone questioning their education/credentials went to Caribbean school and made it back. They ran over everything in their path and only cared about being a physician, none of the BS between that goal. End of the day they finished residency by 24 years of age and are making the same salary as their peers and is very well respected.

Think about what would satisfy your soul at the end of the day. Everyone has different goals between what they want as a physician. The real questions are "Are you 100% confident you want to do primary care and nothing else?" and "Is the year sacrifice worth it to you?".

It's totally possible to match residencies outside of primary care as a DO. Realize that even as an MD you are fighting for spots either way.

Last edited by a moderator:
Some of OMM is questionable, but I've had fun with the techniques I've learned so far. I like being able to give a good massage and crack people's backs. I'm curious if you have had any interactions with people from DO schools other than your own or MD schools for that matter. Compared with friends in MD schools, I've seen no difference in curriculum besides the added hours for OMM. Our DO school has associated residency programs and most of our faculty are MDs surprisingly besides the OMM faculty (of course). I will admit that there are some questionable DO schools out there, but that was up to you to figure out before going to one. However, in the end, you will get your degree and become a doctor if you pass no matter which DO school you go to. My advice to you: you're already knee deep in this **** - enjoy the ride and be more optimistic or you'll literally go crazy.

to OP - only you can decide what's right for you. Personally, I would just go DO to not deal with the headache of "trying out" for an MD school. There is still a very real possibility you will fail their program and *poof* at least a year wasted and you have to apply AGAIN and ask for LORs AGAIN. 2 cycles were more than enough stress for me (MD only first, MD/DO second).

I know I'm not the only one who is suspicious of the guaranteed MD acceptance. The way OP was introduced to the program and automatically accepted just screams scam. It would benefit the OP to share the program name at least so others can do research for him.

^^^^ This 100%. One year is doable when you consider you are a DO for the rest of your life. Go to the Medical Student-DO board and read "Addressing the PE". The hustle that the DO students have to go through is what makes me admire some of them. I feel for the DO students who did not have a choice like you because they were unlucky, or from an unlucky state. You obviously are not from one of those states. You will not regret taking the extra year if you have a gauranteed to an MD program.

• Haha
^^^^ This 100%. One year is doable when you consider you are a DO for the rest of your life. Go to the Medical Student-DO board and read "Addressing the PE". The hustle that the DO students have to go through is what makes me admire some of them. I feel for the DO students who did not have a choice like you because they were unlucky, or from an unlucky state. You obviously are not from one of those states. You will not regret taking the extra year if you have a gauranteed to an MD program.

Oh my God, be “a DO for the rest of your life.”
Another wet-behind-the-ears med student.

• Love
  • Haha
Oh my God, be “a DO for the rest of your life.”
Another wet-behind-the-ears med student.

Are you saying among the prestigious residency programs, or residency program directors of rigorous specialties don't prefer MD graduates over DO ?

This is really the biggest decision that is going to impact graduates is where and which specialty they go after graduation, and I think this is why almost everybody here is advising him to go MD if it is a 1 year difference for a young person.

Besides the OMM, which people have their own opinions about, there are unquestionably more hurdles with DO programs in that many students have to scramble and fight for hospital schedules and rotations (depending on where you are training), and there is no question that it is more difficult to match into into a competitive residency.

Last edited:
Are you saying among the prestigious residency programs, or residency program directors of rigorous specialties don't prefer MD graduates over DO ?

This is really the biggest decision that is going to impact graduates is where and which specialty they go after graduation, and I think this is why almost everybody here is advising him to go MD if it is a 1 year difference for a young person.

I am saying that NOBODY has ANY idea what is going to happen over the next 40 years of your practice. But, I can PROMISE you one thing. There will be enormous unforeseen changes, many good and many ( sadly probably more) bad.

Prestige today is tomorrow’s sex/ discrimination/ academic scandal.

I am saying that NOBODY has ANY idea what is going to happen over the next 40 years of your practice. But, I can PROMISE you one thing. There will be enormous unforeseen changes, many good and many ( sadly probably more) bad.

No, the question is not about the prestige of MD versus DO, or what will happen 40 years from now.

The question is our immediate future, of where we land up in residency, immediately after the degree, which specialty and where . That is where everybody says MD is better than DO.

What does that mean. Are you giving advice with the perspective on what MIGHT happens 40 years down his career?

I think it is more practical to try to attend an MD program if possible. Even though MD and DO residencies are now being lumped into the same application process, from what I have read, DO students will still have to take an extra set of licensing exams and MD residencies have historically preferred MD students. DO residencies will also now be open to MD students (who won't have to take the DO licensing exams!) which could potentially make securing a residency spot more challenging than before. I think it is always best to give yourself the best advantage if possible.

However, I agree with everyone else who finds the pre-matriculation program fishy. What does this school gain by giving you a free year of classes with "easily" guaranteed acceptance? Is there some kind of teaching or other work or service requirement with it? There is a saying that goes, "if you're not paying for it, that's because you're the product." You also have to think about what kinds of folks are going to say this program is "easy" -- the admins who are trying to sell you on the program and students who are excelling, which provides quite some bias. In my own educational endeavors, I have learned that there is such a thing as "too good to be true." I also do not come from a family of means and many med school hopefuls and current med students are overwhelmingly wealthy with parents with many various degrees -- these students are generally trained to excel academically from an early age; their perspective on what is "easy" is going to be very different than someone who may have done well in classes out of a sheer love of knowledge or interest in one's major, like myself or maybe like yourself.

You are only 22. That is a great age to be. My advice would be to do what you can to make your application competitive for MD and apply then. Need more classes/higher MCAT score? That will be a good way to test-drive some study skills you will need for med school anyway. In this terrible economy, it would not be a bad time to be a student for another year.

Also regarding the prestige factor and your perception that MD students are more "well-rounded" or "interesting": a lot of this "interestingness" is bought. People from wealthy families buy into the college admissions rat race from an early age and those kids are the ones that are world-class figure skaters or what have you. Families who can hire coaches, pay for extra lessons etc. The MCAT is scored on a bell curve as you know and it should not be surprising that those from wealthier families are the ones at the top. And the same people are the ones that look down on DOs - because Yale doesn't have a DO school etc. An unfortunately sizable number of people who go into the medical profession are heavily invested in the social status that comes with it, and want to climb that golden ladder as high as it goes no matter what it takes.

I haven't read all the posts which replied to you yet, but someone mentioned that the DO/MD disparity was a myth. In FM, sure. 100% agree. But if you decide you like being the primary eye care doc in rural Wyoming instead of the PCP out there (not as dissimilar as you might think, in some ways) you'll be kicking yourself for not going MD. There's a HUGE disparity in match rates for the more competitive specialties. Just something to consider.

Giving up an attending's salary for a year is a good consideration as well, but if tuition is more at the DO school, take the difference, multiply it by four years of education and then double it or so to add on the interest you'll likely pay, and you'll get a better comparison. Also, depending on where you live, I agree, some people will not think of you as a "real doctor". Other health professionals certainly will, but even quite educated laypeople that I know still think a DO isn't a real doctor until I correct them. Not a huge deal, but an annoyance you'll have to put up with, so another thing to at least think about.

Either way, you'll be a doc and it'll all work out. Good luck to you!

Status
Not open for further replies.