Keep pass/fail or put a small dent on upward trend?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SleepingPillow

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

So I know this post is very neurotic, but I am just nervous because the upward trend is very important to my app as a graduating senior. A class I had been taking as pass/fail will end up being an A- if I change it to grade option, but that's gonna stop my 4.0 trend that I've worked very hard on (had a ~3.0 GPA after freshman year).

If I keep pass/fail:
1. Keep the 4.0 trend, demonstrating that I finished up undergrad very strong
2. GPA over the last 3 years higher by .00x (3.88)
3. 9 graded credits for semester

If I change to grade:
1. Overall GPA rises by a minuscule .000x (would
2. 3.9x GPA for the semester when it could be a 4.0
3. 12 graded credits for semester

Am I overthinking this (probably), or would adcoms rather see a 4.0 bc that's prettier?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Seeing a P/F grade automatically makes me think you had a D/C in the class. I'd take the A-

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Take the A-. Otherwise you would risk the grade being interpreted as a C/D (please read other threads with the same question as yours, this topic has been beaten to death) and a perfectionist for maintaining the 4.0. Do not compare your situation applying for medical schools to what other students do for fun.
Any adcom who takes any sort of deeper look at the P grade will know what you are doing.

On another note, seems your GPA will still be high, very impressive. Seriously, do not worry about the one A-. You will still be at a great standing stats wise.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello,

So I know this post is very neurotic, but I am just nervous because the upward trend is very important to my app as a graduating senior. A class I had been taking as pass/fail will end up being an A- if I change it to grade option, but that's gonna stop my 4.0 trend that I've worked very hard on (had a ~3.0 GPA after freshman year).

If I keep pass/fail:

If I change to grade:

Am I overthinking this (probably), or would adcoms rather see a 4.0 bc that's prettier?

Thanks!
Only you care about the 4.0 trend; adcoms won't care. Also, adcoms won't care about a single class one way or the other, but, yeah, unless your whole semester is P/F, the reader's assumption on a single P is NOT going to be A-, it will be C (at most schools Ds would not be eligible for a P), so to the extent it matters at all (and it probably doesn't!), you'll be doing yourself no favors by opting for the P. JMHO.

Hello,

If I keep pass/fail:

If I change to grade:

Thanks!
Just like virginity, these comes a time to lose a 4.0.

BUT, and I'm getting tired of this mindset, a P =/= a C! Neither does a W. A simply doesn't count towards GPA.

Honestly, you can have some Fs in your transcript and still get into med school.

• Haha
I thought I misread your post and reread it twice, but nah it turns out you really wanted to hide an A-. A 3.88 is also basically competitive everywhere...

Don't worry about it, take the grade. It reflects better on your app :thumbup:

I should probably make clear that 3.88 is my GPA over the last 3 years, combined with freshman year it is a 3.7- so not exactly a high GPA

Still, everyone is suggesting I change to grade so I will do that!

Just like virginity, these comes a time to lose a 4.0.

BUT, and I'm getting tired of this mindset, a P =/= a C! Neither does a W. A simply doesn't count towards GPA.

Honestly, you can have some Fs in your transcript and still get into med school.

True that. I had two F's in my transcript (one of which was in yoga, that's a long story).

Don't sweat tiny percentage points when you have a strong upward trend. Take the A- and go eat some ice cream and destress.

David D, MD - USMLE and MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
True that. I had two F's in my transcript (one of which was in yoga, that's a long story).

Don't sweat tiny percentage points when you have a strong upward trend. Take the A- and go eat some ice cream and destress.

David D, MD - USMLE and MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

can we hear that yoga story in this thread pls