Keep shadowing a department or branch out?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

tarheel128

Full Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi,

I'm interested in MD-PhD and have been shadowing a MD-PhD radiologist for sometime now. There's a limit for shadowing terms at my school's hospital. When I can shadow again, should I return to the same department? The doctor I shadowed is the department head and is perfectly fine with me shadowing his fellows and colleagues.

I learned a lot from him and really hope to develop a relationship with him. Because I'm so excited and curious about his research, he's extra-friendly to me, i.e. teaching me a bunch of techniques and offering me a position in his lab. If I stay in his department both in terms of shadowing and volunteering until I apply for MD-PhD, I'm pretty sure I can get a rec letter from him.
*I haven't discuss the volunteering with him. Should I do that? I'm hoping he can talk to the volunteering department and pull me to his clinic.

I want to specialize in oncology in the future.

Thanks
 
Working in his lab sounds like a good opportunity for research experience. For shadowing specifically, you should branch out to different specialties. Make sure you spend some time in a primary care setting as well.

Thanks
If that’s the case, how can I maintain this relationship?
I rejected his offer because I’m so far into my projects in my current lab and have tons of publication opportunities.