Keep shadowing a department or branch out?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tarheel128

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm interested in MD-PhD and have been shadowing a MD-PhD radiologist for sometime now. There's a limit for shadowing terms at my school's hospital. When I can shadow again, should I return to the same department? The doctor I shadowed is the department head and is perfectly fine with me shadowing his fellows and colleagues.

I learned a lot from him and really hope to develop a relationship with him. Because I'm so excited and curious about his research, he's extra-friendly to me, i.e. teaching me a bunch of techniques and offering me a position in his lab. If I stay in his department both in terms of shadowing and volunteering until I apply for MD-PhD, I'm pretty sure I can get a rec letter from him.
*I haven't discuss the volunteering with him. Should I do that? I'm hoping he can talk to the volunteering department and pull me to his clinic.

I want to specialize in oncology in the future.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Working in his lab sounds like a good opportunity for research experience. For shadowing specifically, you should branch out to different specialties. Make sure you spend some time in a primary care setting as well.

Thanks
If that’s the case, how can I maintain this relationship?
I rejected his offer because I’m so far into my projects in my current lab and have tons of publication opportunities.