KEM/SGS medical college

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MOZ

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Greetings all!

i am a fourth year american medical student who will be visiting india the next few weeks for an elective rotation at KEM hospital in mumbai. i wondered if anyone out there could provide me some insight into the quality of teaching at this hospital. also, since i am not familiar with indian medical education i wondered if someone could tell me how rotations are organized and how much responsibility and autonomy medical students are allowed in patient care. for example, are students allowed to do procedure such as central lines?? any info would be greatly appreciated.

MOZ

Members don't see this ad.

MOZ said:
Greetings all!

i am a fourth year american medical student who will be visiting india the next few weeks for an elective rotation at KEM hospital in mumbai. i wondered if anyone out there could provide me some insight into the quality of teaching at this hospital. also, since i am not familiar with indian medical education i wondered if someone could tell me how rotations are organized and how much responsibility and autonomy medical students are allowed in patient care. for example, are students allowed to do procedure such as central lines?? any info would be greatly appreciated.

MOZ
Seth GS Medical college is among top ten medical colleges in India. Quality of education imparted at the institute is very good. This college attracts some of the best talent in the country. But I think at undergraduate level medical education in USA is more pragmatic. Here lost of emphasis is put on theory. Generally, procedures such putting a central venus line are done by housemen and registrars however u may get an opportunity to do it in ER when patient load is high. Often people come to this institute for their elective from abraod, more frequently from UK. They generally enjoy there stay here despite having bad lodging and boarding facilities. You will have no problem making friends here among fellow undergraduates. Generally there is no special programme for foreign students doing there electives here. You will be mixed up with the crowd. Until u r inquisitive I doubt u would get much to learn from senior faculty here. Though facilities at this institute may be ten year older to the what is available in your country but you will get to see many condition which you might have read only in books. But at the end of it, I think u'll really enjoy ur stay. Best of luck.

Where the hell is this KEM/SGS medical college ?I have never heard of it before????

Members don't see this ad :)
parasiteatwork said:
Where the hell is this KEM/SGS medical college ?I have never heard of it before????

i can't believe that parasite
KEM/SGS medical college is the number one college in bombay
I think it is given the first preference over all the other medical colleges in bombay
the full form is King Edward Memorial Hospital/Seth Gordhandas Sunderdas (GS) Medical College

what is the dress code on hospital rotations at KEM? is shirt and tie for men the norm or is scrubs okay?

boston DO said:
what is the dress code on hospital rotations at KEM? is shirt and tie for men the norm or is scrubs okay?
There is no dress code as such. Generally people dont care about what u wear. Mostly people wear shirt and pants without tie. T-shirts and jeans are also popular. Girls either wear salwar kameez or jeans and t-shirt. In my experience of 3 years in medical college I haven't seen a houseman or registrar wear a tie ( Mumbai is too humid ) Few honarary professors and head of units wear ties but finding medical students wear ties everyday is beyond my imagination. Generally we students celebrate "college week" every year. Everyday we have a dress code and many a times we keep a " Tie Day". And about scrubs "whats that anyway?" would be the reaction of many medical students so better forget about it. My advice to you would be to bring few pairs of jeans and several t-shirts along with u if want to do ur elective in Mumbai it will make easy for u to mix in crowd.

nimeshshingala said:
i can't believe that parasite
KEM/SGS medical college is the number one college in bombay
I think it is given the first preference over all the other medical colleges in bombay
the full form is King Edward Memorial Hospital/Seth Gordhandas Sunderdas (GS) Medical College
ok ok...I have heard of it...just didnt figure out the initials....n yeah its a good college..... :)

shardul said:
Girls either wear salwar kameez or jeans and t-shirt.
Now,thats the part I dont like...why wont they let u wear anything.....as it is whatever u wear will be hidden under your labcoats so why give so much of importance to your dresses as long as u look presentable. :rolleyes:

why give so much of importance to your dresses as long as u look presentable. :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

Exactly that is what they are doing. U know the concept of presentability depends on society in which they are living. There are no restriction or dress code as such for medical students or medical professionals in India. Anyone can wear whatever they want. anyone can dress according to her own concept of presentability it is not that girls over here dont wear skirts but their number is small. In my opinion given the opportunity very few girls would go for showing skin if that is ur cocept of presentability. Finally u have to wear what is appropriate and comfortable for u r working conditions. Afterall 'JAISA DESH VAISA VESH'

boston DO said:

boy, u wont last long in those formals..lol! lemme tell ya, keep an eye on da weather. those "long " rounds and nevva ending patient care shall make u drip wet wid sweat...! cottons is wat i wud go wid....gud luck!

MOZ said:
Greetings all!

MOZ

hey moz,

u can bet ur ass u r gonna have a great time! go wid an open mind...if u can bear the weather and food, u r in for the best few weeks of ur life! rest assured, KEM offers the best 'quality' and 'qualtity' education u wud eva get anywhere...the more interest you exhibit, the more u get to do 'procedures..'..u wud be in midst of the best brains of the town considerin the fact that KEM is the most sought after med school in mumbai.

sum things u can expect: x'tra attention coz of ur accent (if u have one!)..wannabe US residents flockin after ya for the 'inside' information...more often than not u will find urself talkin bout the system..life here (US)...and the best perks cud cum from da patients themselves: the normal psychology of da patients (usually very little educated and hailin from lower middle class...) is dat u r a BETTER doc than prolly ur attendin coz of ur attire (?), accent! ...trust me, am talkin outta experience! man i can go on and on.....

lastly, check out the chicks (assuming dat ur a guy...then again, i cud be wrong.!) dawg! ...boy, VERY hot ones...and wat better combination than beauty wid brains?!!

lata...

In my opinion given the opportunity very few girls would go for showing skin if that is ur cocept of presentability.

dude, which century r u livin' in? rise n shine, the things r changin'!!

Wichitan said:
In my opinion given the opportunity very few girls would go for showing skin if that is ur cocept of presentability.

dude, which century r u livin' in? rise n shine, the things r changin'!!

I appreciate all of your responses! :) i am looking forward to the elective. one question i had in reviewing the schedule they posted on the website regarding emergency days. do you think i will have to stay overnight on these days or will they have pity on me and send me home? it's not that i'm lazy it's just that i'm fourth year and haven't done call in over a year.

and yes wichitan, i am a guy and i have heard about the lovely ladies of mumbai. i'm also looking forward to meeting some while i'm there!:)

MOZ

Members don't see this ad :)
MOZ said:
I appreciate all of your responses! :) one question i had in reviewing the schedule they posted on the website regarding emergency days. do you think i will have to stay overnight on these days or will they have pity on me and send me home? MOZ

it really depends on which attending u r allocated to....but if i were to take a guess, theres a fair chance u might be asked to stay overnight. you could ask urselves to be excused for the first few times citing adjustment reasons etc. altho i wanna say dat most 'medical' education u wud eva learn wud be during those nocturnal hours!....and wid most of theseniors docs not arnd, u really r on ur own and get to do a whole lot 'procedures'.....not cuz they want u to learn but simply cuz of the HUGE patient load!
hope dat helps...

BTW r u going there to check out the girls/their dresses /or r u really in a mood to learn something new????

parasiteatwork said:
BTW r u going there to check out the girls/their dresses /or r u really in a mood to learn something new????

Check out girls of course! I feel I should do the same thing during the 4th year.

Wichitan said:
hey moz,

u can bet ur ass u r gonna have a great time! go wid an open mind...if u can bear the weather and food, u r in for the best few weeks of ur life! rest assured, KEM offers the best 'quality' and 'qualtity' education u wud eva get anywhere...the more interest you exhibit, the more u get to do 'procedures..'..u wud be in midst of the best brains of the town considerin the fact that KEM is the most sought after med school in mumbai.

sum things u can expect: x'tra attention coz of ur accent (if u have one!)..wannabe US residents flockin after ya for the 'inside' information...more often than not u will find urself talkin bout the system..life here (US)...and the best perks cud cum from da patients themselves: the normal psychology of da patients (usually very little educated and hailin from lower middle class...) is dat u r a BETTER doc than prolly ur attendin coz of ur attire (?), accent! ...trust me, am talkin outta experience! man i can go on and on.....

lastly, check out the chicks (assuming dat ur a guy...then again, i cud be wrong.!) dawg! ...boy, VERY hot ones...and wat better combination than beauty wid brains?!!

lata...

With that lingo of yours, I wouldn't be surprised why girls will chose someone else over you :laugh: j/k
A lot of things have changed in India. Girls are lot smarter than you think.

Premedtomed said:
Check out girls of course! I feel I should do the same thing during the 4th year.
Why only in 4th year...do it all the time :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

^ are you talking about girls from India? Or from N.America? Or overall.

Premedtomed said:
With that lingo of yours, I wouldn't be surprised why girls will chose someone else over you :laugh: j/k
A lot of things have changed in India. Girls are lot smarter than you think.
Hey...Girls have always been smarter.....the only thing that has changed is that guys have started realising this :D :laugh:

sunny123 said:

India i.e. go to India during 4th year,
If girls at my med school are decent looking, i will check them out too :laugh:
Sunny boy not everyone's got that charming bald head :laugh:

sunny123 said:
Definately...OVERALL :p :p

Premedtomed said:
If girls at my med school are decent looking, i will check them out too :laugh:
Bald heads are an acquired taste my friend :D

Premedtomed said:
PHP:
If girls at my med school are decent looking, i will check them out too  :laugh:
Don't get fooled by their looks...you see,girls r very smart nowadays..... :laugh:

Ha! Only when my head gets hot, then I shave to cool off. I usually shave my head in the summer time (cause I play tennis). However, I never did that ritual thing, where you get the priest to recite some shlokas while you get your head shaved. But I don't think I need to go through with that do I?

sunny123 said:
Ha! Only when my head gets hot, then I shave to cool off. I usually shave my head in the summer time (cause I play tennis). However, I never did that ritual thing, where you get the priest to recite some shlokas while you get your head shaved. But I don't think I need to go through with that do I?

Naah unless you do it for religious reasons. Not really necessary.

I am really happy to see that someone from the states is going to do a rotation at KEM. My old man graduated from there. He is still involved in teaching there. According to him they are very particular about theory "fundas". As long as you show competence you will have a great time. The variety of pathology should aslo be excellent since it is one of the biggest government hospitals in mumbai.
Also while you are there, you might want to chill out at some of those mega malls that have popped up in Parel.

AMMD said:
I am really happy to see that someone from the states is going to do a rotation at KEM. My old man graduated from there. He is still involved in teaching there. According to him they are very particular about theory "fundas". As long as you show competence you will have a great time. The variety of pathology should aslo be excellent since it is one of the biggest government hospitals in mumbai.
Also while you are there, you might want to chill out at some of those mega malls that have popped up in Parel.

hmmm... mega mall in parel. i've never heard of this before. i hope i have time to actually check them out and the rest of the mumbai for that matter. it sounds like i'll be working from 8-5 everyday plus even overnight call. though i believe it will be a good experience. it's been so long since i've been to india i don't know if i'll even recognize the place.

MOZ