Kent State vs. Barry CPM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mdma223

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am having a hard time trying to decide between these two schools. I have acceptances from both schools and these were my two top choices for this upcoming fall class. Can you guys help me in giving me some insight into both of these schools. Maybe start by pointing out a couple of things that are good and some that are bad about each school (pros/cons of each school).

Thank you to all that respond!

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks Pod Zilla,

I looked at those stats for Barry, I just thought that the 67% residency placement rate was due to the residency "shortage" for that class of 2014. The class of 2012 residency placement was 96%, so maybe that class just wasn't as strong as the other classes?

Members don't see this ad :)
Would be interesting to see Kent report their numbers in the same manner that Barry did - I really hate the averaging approach (though DMU does occasionally use it). If you want to see some potential obfuscation look at how Kent wrote their numbers.

"APMLE - Passing rates by time of graduation." I think what most people expect to see here is 1st and 1st + 2nd administration pass rates. The wording doesn't suggest that. If you can't pass part I in 2 tries you are doing something wrong and I can't imagine being dragged along into 3rd/4th year still trying to pass part I before graduation. Did I mention - $900 a try.

"To Date, 94% of total eligible students from the classes of 2012-2014 seeking residencies have been placed." - What does "seeking residencies" mean. Does this mean that if unmatched students gave up they are no longer included? What about students who didn't pass boards part II - they aren't eligible so I suppose they aren't seeking either? I don't believe this is what CPME had in mind when they mandated these reports. People deserve to know how many people were given diplomas and have residencies.

4 year verse 5 year graduation rate - I feel like I'm missing something, but shouldn't the 5 year graduation rate be higher than the 4 year graduation rate? The time period is the same (2012-2014) so the student cohort size should be the same. I would assume the 5 year rate includes all the people who graduated in 4 year + the additional pickups who needed the additional year. Maybe this is reporting something different than I think - perhaps Kent really does have a 5 year track... which is bizarre because sometimes I think this is should be a 3 year degree.

Reactions: 2 users
I was thinking the same thing as you heybrother when I was reading Kents CPME outcome report.

Anyone else have any thoughts/opinions on these two schools or what I should do?

Does anyone know why the curriculum for both schools are so different?

If it comes down to graduation/board pass rate/residency placement, if you can wait for match day this year do that. Looking at the numbers from Barry I think its interesting that the class of 2014 has the highest graduation rate by about 25% versus the other two years but the board pass rate is much worse for parts I and II and so was the match percentage.

If it comes down to graduation/board pass rate/residency placement, if you can wait for match day this year do that. Looking at the numbers from Barry I think its interesting that the class of 2014 has the highest graduation rate by about 25% versus the other two years but the board pass rate is much worse for parts I and II and so was the match percentage.

I did not notice that trend, nice catch! I wonder if they made changes to their curriculum to get more graduates through. After all, a graduate would be paying more money in tuition than a second year drop out. If they did make changes to their curriculum, clearly it was for the worst.