Kern Medical Center?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alison_in_oh

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My husband applied to every program in California (we're pretty keen to head West) without really looking closely at some of them.

He got his invite from Kern and is debating whether to schedule an interview. Really he would rather not deal with the hassle of a 2-4 program. There's nothing on Scutwork to indicate if the merits of the program would outweigh the negative of having to do a non-EM intern year.

I'd search the forum but...I can't. And the Google search isn't finding threads here for some reason. But I'm getting the impression that Kern isn't really lauded as an institution.

Your input is welcome!

Members don't see this ad.

Bakersfield.

alison_in_oh said:
My husband applied to every program in California (we're pretty keen to head West) without really looking closely at some of them.

He got his invite from Kern and is debating whether to schedule an interview. Really he would rather not deal with the hassle of a 2-4 program. There's nothing on Scutwork to indicate if the merits of the program would outweigh the negative of having to do a non-EM intern year.

I'd search the forum but...I can't. And the Google search isn't finding threads here for some reason. But I'm getting the impression that Kern isn't really lauded as an institution.

Your input is welcome!

dlung said:
Bakersfield.

*pflurt* :laugh:

Well, YEAH. But BESIDE that. The man's in Fresno as we speak, and is not finding it as bad as Cleveland. :p

Members don't see this ad :)
alison_in_oh said:
*pflurt* :laugh:

Well, YEAH. But BESIDE that. The man's in Fresno as we speak, and is not finding it as bad as Cleveland. :p

Cant answer any med related questions, but I lived in both Fresno and Bako, so feel free to ask questions about life in the Central Valley.

scooter31 said:
Cant answer any med related questions, but I lived in both Fresno and Bako, so feel free to ask questions about life in the Central Valley.

I'll take anything you can give me. :) I think he declined Kern, but has had such a good time at Fresno that it's moved up the list. We're outdoorsy types from Portland, Oregon, and looking to start a family during residency. Is the air quality as bad as they say? Is the winter really that foggy and the summer that hot? Is it a dry heat or is it humid in the summer?

alison_in_oh said:
I'll take anything you can give me. :) I think he declined Kern, but has had such a good time at Fresno that it's moved up the list. We're outdoorsy types from Portland, Oregon, and looking to start a family during residency. Is the air quality as bad as they say? Is the winter really that foggy and the summer that hot? Is it a dry heat or is it humid in the summer?

You have already made a great decision in turning down Kern; Bakersfield is a hole, even compared to fresno. If youre outdoorsy, you will like Fresno's location. The air is horrible. The fog is world renown, literally. Folks come from all parts fo the globe to study the Valley fog. School system is ok, better than Bako's. Its a small city, but with big city issues-- lots of drugs, lots of gangs, lots of racial tension, though that has been better as of late. Cost of living is cheap, but there isnt a whole lot to do honestly. You have Yosemtie about 2 hours away, Tahoe about 5. The beaches of central CA are about 2.5 hours away. LA is 4 hours away, about. The summers are brutal. Many 100+ days, but the heat os dry for the most part. Winters are chilly and rainy (not Portland rainy, but its still wet). Theres a lot expansion into North Fresno housing wise-- its considered the nicer part of town, if youre looking to buy a house.

Theres a start; if you have more questions, ask!

What a great help! Thank you for what sounds like an unbiased first-hand rundown. :)

I worked in the ER at Kern as a college student many years ago, and I've since heard similar views that it wasn't a great program. I had a good experience there, but I obviously was coming from a very different perspective, so I'm wondering what is it about the program that's so bad?