Ketamine and Depression

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Noyac

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My wife was reading one of her health mags and came across a article from a psychology journal:
http://archpsyc.ama-assn.org/cgi/co...on&searchid=1&FIRSTINDEX=0&resourcetype=HWCIT

Anyone have any experience or opinions?

Looks interesting and I was wondering if it made since to use in cancer surgery. For example breast biopsies/mastectomies, gyn cancer, GI cancers etc. It is so easy to squirt 0.5mg /kg in the first liter of fluid and let it run.

Members don't see this ad.

opinions:

(1) extremely small n.

(2) confidence interval is very wide.

(3) ham-d is subjective (i.e. questionable yardstick).

(4) it was published in a psych journal. ('nuff said.)

experience:

(1) i've never personally witnessed a "brightening" affect when giving ketamine, namely in ketafol. i have seen it when people wake-up from pure propofol.

(2) it would seem counter-intuitive that a nmda antagonist, which inhibits excitatory neurotransmission, could somehow elicit an "anti-depressive" effect.

summary:

jury is out. this could be interesting, but they'd have to reproduce this result, preferably with a larger sample and more robust crossover design with a better primary endpoint(s).

opinions:

(1) extremely small n.

(2) confidence interval is very wide.

(3) ham-d is subjective (i.e. questionable yardstick).

(4) it was published in a psych journal. ('nuff said.)

experience:

(1) i've never personally witnessed a "brightening" affect when giving ketamine, namely in ketafol. i have seen it when people wake-up from pure propofol.

(2) it would seem counter-intuitive that a nmda antagonist, which inhibits excitatory neurotransmission, could somehow elicit an "anti-depressive" effect.

summary:

jury is out. this could be interesting, but they'd have to reproduce this result, preferably with a larger sample and more robust crossover design with a better primary endpoint(s).

No **** Sherlock. I didn't say this was a study to base our practice on.

And I have seen people wake up from Ketaphol in a very brightening manner. Many times.

Can you explain how a nmda antagonist is counter intuitive to an anti depressive?

By the way, I thought these health magazines were to new authority in journalism. Or is it just Men's Health that does its research.

Members don't see this ad :)
this is pretty awesome. there is so little that works quickly in major depression...the closest is exercise maybe...even ECT takes weeks...so this could be big.

it awesome that somebody out there has the resources and cojones to do this study

you bring up a good point (using it in breast cancer pts) or how about people who already are on ssri's...as vent has said, even though there's not good data, "i'm smelling smoke and hoping there's fire"...which may be the best we get, b/c this would be a hard study to do in large numbers

awesome post brotha

thanks for posting it...

that certainly does seem like an interesting conclusion. perhaps someone from within the anesthesiology community could pick up on this research in order to further evaluate this treatment in a greater sample size. it would definately be applicable in some circumstances that noy has eluded to.

also, it seems like it could be reasonably easy to further investigate this.

No **** Sherlock. I didn't say this was a study to base our practice on.

although i never called that into question and it's you who seems to want to make this an issue of contention (not me), i'd only now point out that you originally intimated by your statement...

It is so easy to squirt 0.5mg /kg in the first liter of fluid and let it run.

... that perhaps we should consider it's use routinely specifically to derive this theoretical benefit described in this study. to me, that suggests that you in some way have concluded that it is something we should perhaps "base our practice on."

i don't have an issue with using ketamine routinely, but i think, as i already stated, that one should not base or make treatment decisions for its use as a result of this one, small study.

and, your unnecessary ad hominem is, again, noted.

And I have seen people wake up from Ketaphol in a very brightening manner. Many times.

then, we are at an impasse. so, i propose a study: design a randomized, blinded trial of propofol vs. propofol+ketamine to see if there is a difference.

Can you explain how a nmda antagonist is counter intuitive to an anti depressive?

nmda is a excitatory neurotransmitter. non-selectively blocking it would seem to "dampen" electrical activity in the brain, which has classically been expressed as having depressive effects - not anti-depressive effects. painting in broad brush strokes, this is, in fact, how ketamine exerts its primary effect. furthermore, such a short duration of treatment, even if it were to temporarily down-regulate nmda receptors, would seem to be clinically irrelevant because natural recovery would occur. so, any "anti-depressive" effects occurring as nmda receptors were being recycled would be transitory at best. this assumes that we understand how ketamine works in the brain using current models, which may be either inaccurate or not full elucidated. and, we're not suggesting that we should administer ketamine chronically, are we?

By the way, I thought these health magazines were to new authority in journalism. Or is it just Men's Health that does its research.

there is such a phenomenon as "journal shopping." study authors always submit to big journals first, and when those pass they submit to others. this goes on down the line until eventually someone picks up the study for publication no matter how 'schlocky' the study was.

you can get a rough barometer of how relevant a study is by who picks it up. in this case, the study was published in the "archives of psychiatry", which is not the signpost for the profession. iow, it was not picked up by the "american journal of psychiatry", the academic journal of the american psychiatric association - nor nejm, jama, neurology, even anesthesiology. does that mean much in the grand scheme of things? not really. probably just that they passed on this study for publication because it wasn't particular interesting or relevant, in their opinion. that alone certainly does not mean the study was flawed or clinically irrelevant (nb: see my previous comments above).

lastly, men's health is not a peer-reviewed journal, so your intended sarcastic comparison is misplaced.

Reactions: 1 users