Khan Academy/AAMC ending its course in 2021... that was short

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheAppleJuice

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So in 2015 when the new MCAT came out, the Khan Academy partnered with the AAMC to make a comprehensive course with everything you need to know for the MCAT including actually GOOD practice questions/passages (as opposed to a lot of commercial supplement's practice questions, which are imo either way to hard or way to easy)

I'm curious what SDN community thinks of this, did you guys ever use it? I'm sad to see it go and feel bad for future people who can't take advantage of this free resource. Also noticed that in July 2020 they completely removed their Stanford Medical School "Health and Medicine" course which covered a lot of material in 1st/2nd year med School classes. :(

Members don't see this ad.

• Sad
Reactions: 1 user
Yes, I used Khan Academy for MCAT and really liked it. Also very sad that they removed the Stanford stuff because I wanted to use those before starting school in the fall :*(

I wish they at least kept the videos in some archive online.

Is it gone? If so I am sad to see it go. It was an amazing resource.
I used Khan Academy extensively when I was studying for my MCAT. It was the only good source of CARS passages outside of AAMC material.

It exposed the lie of "MCAT is biased by social class because rich people can just take prep courses and do better" (as if replacing it with the other subjective nonsense they judge you on is less biased). Any person from an underprivileged background can study hard and do well on a test. Much harder to do that on secondary essays and interviews. Much harder to accumulate hundreds or thousands of volunteer hours when you have to work full time to support yourself. You could study everything you need for the MCAT on Khan Academy, completely for free. I did it in the evenings and weekends while working full time, never took a prep course, and did very well.

It was just one little nice attempt to level the playing field in this incredibly unfair process. Guess it couldn't be allowed to last. Oh well, just one more hurdle for the little guys to overcome.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
All the MCAT videos are still up on YouTube! I don't know if they intend to private/remove those videos soon but they're definitely still there (including the Health & Medicine ones @mvsrocks)

KA has always just been a website that integrated the YouTube player anyways. I don't think they do any video hosting themselves on their site.

All the MCAT videos are still up on YouTube! I don't know if they intend to private/remove those videos soon but they're definitely still there (including the Health & Medicine ones @mvsrocks)

KA has always just been a website that integrated the YouTube player anyways. I don't think they do any video hosting themselves on their site.
Oh wow I don't know how I missed this! I've always just used the site, so thanks for the heads up

• Care

but they are planning to remove them after they expire on their website I believe. Also, the practice problems will be removed even if you can get the videos on YouTube

I heard about this last year while studying, and was very sad about it. KA videos and the practice passages are amazing, I used them pretty much exclusively with the AAMC materials and did well without any of the other expensive prep stuff. It’s understandable in that KA wants to focus on K-14 and doesn’t have the resources, but it’s so unfortunate. :(

I heard about this last year while studying, and was very sad about it. KA videos and the practice passages are amazing, I used them pretty much exclusively with the AAMC materials and did well without any of the other expensive prep stuff. It’s understandable in that KA wants to focus on K-14 and doesn’t have the resources, but it’s so unfortunate. :(
what I'm consused about is why they can't just keep everything up, even if they don't maintain it...... like I can't imagine having just some extra videos/passages taking up some data/spcae on their site could be the difference between breaking their budget??