Kicked out of Pharm School??

Discussion in 'Pharmacy' started by MSmith91, Aug 8, 2011.

1. MSmith91

Pharmacy Student
    So i just got accepted to pharmacy school and will (should) be starting in the fall. To say the least i am super excited. But...

Just a few days ago i got two misdemeanors (underage consumption and common nuisance). This is my first run in with the law and i am thinking that this will get me kicked out of pharmacy school.

Once again i am already accepted, i will be starting my P1 year this coming fall, or at least i hope i will...

So basically will this huge mistake also carry huge consequences?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. BrightLight

2+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    Remember, you are there to fill your school's spots and contribute to those educators' retirement. They don't really give a **** if you even starting drinking as a baby. Don't be surprised even to see if deans covering up students cheating later.

4. BrightLight

2+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    Really!? This forum actually censors the word "****"? What s h i t if that for?

5. WVUPharm2007

WVUPharm2007 imagine sisyphus happy
    Pharmacist 15+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    Both happened at WVU.

One of the deans bought some underage students beer on a trip to somewhere my P1 year.

Another well known case, two girls were caught cheating by multiple professors on a test. They lawyered up and the school caved worse than Obama.

Then I forgot to retake a test and they ran me through the gulag for it.

It's all very hit and miss...and inconsistent...but this one thing won't necessarily be the end all of your career. Or maybe it will...

6. Sparda29

Sparda29 En Taro Adun
    Pharmacist Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    Ehh it's fine, it's just underage drinking.

7. MSmith91

Pharmacy Student
    So should i see if the school contacts me about the charges or should i go and tell them about it once school starts.

By the way this happened off campus but in the same city so the school might not even find out, i really have no idea.

8. BenLysta

Removed

Pharmacy Student
    Try to plead no contest and do some community service. As long as this is not a felony and you have only did it once then you are OK. Take this is a warning. Your license is a privilege and can be easily taken away.

9. PharmaTope

5+ Year Member

what does lawyering up do if you caught cheating though? makes no sense to me

10. WVUPharm2007

WVUPharm2007 imagine sisyphus happy
    Pharmacist 15+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    They threatened to sue school. School caved.

11. BrightLight

2+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    Your underage drinking matter to your school as much as your farting in an elevator (an empty one too). If you go tell your dean, he won't pat you on the head and give you a hug for being such an honest individual. No, he won't. He will just get annoyed underneath his hypocritical smile. Just go back to your beers and forget about all this.

#10 BrightLight, Aug 8, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2011
  12. xiphoid2010

7+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    The penalty is school specific, but I don't think you have to tell the school unless they ask. Your application was already approved before this happened, right? Keep your fingers crossed that the police doesn't inform the school (mostly likely they won't bother).

What you do have to worry about is the state board. You will be applying for the internship license soon, and you MUST admit to it when apply. If you admit up front, for a first time misdemeanor offense, the board will most likely not bother or just issue you a warning. If you try to cover up, and they find out during background check now or later, you can be in a world of hurt.

13. bacillus1

10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    This is tue. But one must also undergo a background check before rotations. So I'm not sure if he shouldn't report it.

14. MSmith91

Pharmacy Student
    Just called the courthouse to ask some questions. If you were wondering i will pay $420, lose my license for 30 days, and go to jail for 30 days if i get in anymore trouble with the law in a year. For just those two tickets that seems harsh to me but i did the crime so i gotta do the time.

But back on topic: with regards to school yes, background check is done. Was perfectly clean prior to this. I am guessing the police won't tell the school, i mean idk why they would, and i really dont know if i should tell them or not.

So i guess thats my current question.

And on a side note, this shouldn't effect any future job endeavors should it?

15. xiphoid2010

7+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    Most job ask whether you had any felony. I don't think many ask for misdemeanors. You might want to consider have it expunged whenever that option becomes available though.

16. owlegrad

owlegrad Uncontrollable Sarcasm Machine
    Staff Member Administrator Pharmacist 7+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    I agree with this.

17. velocicaur

7+ Year Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
  18. MSmith91

Pharmacy Student
    Ya its either 2 or 3 years till I can get it expunged. And I guess as of now im not planning on telling my school unless you guys think otherwise.__

19. WhiteSnows

WhiteSnows Think Right and Grow Rich
    Pharmacist 7+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    I should tell the school for a reason that after you graduate, suddenly you can't apply for the license, then you're screwed.

20. aboveliquidice

aboveliquidice No sacrifice - No victory
    Pharmacist Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    As long as it is not an issue for your state's board of pharmacy, your school will not care. If you cannot get licensed, you will be dismissed. If this is a non-issue for your state (being less-than-a-felony), I would imagine you're fine.

21. dudecoolname

dudecoolname words under my username
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    Edit - wrong thread sorry

22. RxMTM

RxMTM Class of 2013

Pharmacy Student
    The school doesn't care. They just care that you fill the seat and pay your tuition.

23. kvl1027

kvl1027 Member
    10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    Don't worry about it. I wouldn't tell the school unless they ask. At no point should you ever lie about it, they will find out.

It may be a small problem with the state, but I say that thinking that it will not cause any problems. I don't think the state cares about some misdemeanor that happened before pharmacy school. Just be thankful it was before pharm school started.

You will be fine, no go out and have some more hunch punch and get a better ID:)

24. Trent Steele

Trent Steele benadryl brownies
    5+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    You dont even need to waste money on lawyers to expunge this... It's a drinking ticket... doubt many have gotten through undergrad without at least one.

Once you're in, they want your money. You have to really goof up, like diverting from work to be kicked out.

25. Pharmgrlnxdor

7+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    Our school does a yearly background check and drug test. You might want to find out if your school does the same. If so would it show up there? If yes then I would tell them rather than having them discover it on their own.

26. LazyMooch

2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    Drug test? No more bongs in Pharm school eh?

27. Trent Steele

Trent Steele benadryl brownies
    5+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    every school does background checks...drinking/fake id crimes are petty and won't make a difference. Don't sweat it, you worry too much. As long as you have no felony convictions and lay off of the drugs you are all good.

28. B Wong

5+ Year Member

I had the same two misdemeanors like 6 months before I was supposed to begin pharm school and they didn't care. It came up once when I applied for my intern license and they thought nothing of it.

29. MSmith91

Pharmacy Student
    That makes me feel a lot better. My friend who was with me is in court right now, I have court in a few weeks. Ill post what happens just in case anyone else has this problem or you guys care.

30. pfaction

7+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    This.

When has pharmacy school suddenly been held to a high ethical standpoint?

31. ValeRx

ValeRx PharmD
    Pharmacist 7+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    Ethical or moral? Law violations are moral issues, which in some states as Ohio, can cause you to be denied for an intern license.