kinda feeling hopeless

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

riverforever

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all! Thanks for taking the time to read my post! I'm feeling quite hopeless. I recently took a class in my final year of undergrad in biosci and I realized I want to be a DO. its been something I've always wanted but never knew the exact career path. However, I am quite a failure. I have a 2.75 gpa, no research experience, barely have any volunteering and am planning to take my mcat at the end of the summer. I'm applying to post bacc schools right now but honestly my letters of recommendation will not be that great. I am starting research this coming month but I only have one more quarter after this one before I graduate. I will stay with the research as long as I can, even if I have to take a year off, however, I am feeling really hopeless. any suggestions for me? anyone that overcame some obstacles? I want honesty but please be somewhat kind about your approach this is a passion of mine but I've dealt with some mental issues that really hindered me and I know I did not reach my full potential in my undergrad work.
i know i probably don't have a chance in hell but any suggestions on any improvements or ways i can go about this would really help me!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all! Thanks for taking the time to read my post! I'm feeling quite hopeless. I recently took a class in my final year of undergrad in biosci and I realized I want to be a DO. its been something I've always wanted but never knew the exact career path. However, I am quite a failure. I have a 2.75 gpa, no research experience, barely have any volunteering and am planning to take my mcat at the end of the summer. I'm applying to post bacc schools right now but honestly my letters of recommendation will not be that great. I am starting research this coming month but I only have one more quarter after this one before I graduate. I will stay with the research as long as I can, even if I have to take a year off, however, I am feeling really hopeless. any suggestions for me? anyone that overcame some obstacles? I want honesty but please be somewhat kind about your approach this is a passion of mine but I've dealt with some mental issues that really hindered me and I know I did not reach my full potential in my undergrad work.
i know i probably don't have a chance in hell but any suggestions on any improvements or ways i can go about this would really help me!

First, relax... you'd be surprised how many people have overcome the most insane odds and gotten into medschool. I have to ask a question though... why is your GPA so low? You have to be honest with yourself... is it really because of "mental issues", or did you just slack off? You can keep the answer to yourself, but it's important you figure this out first so you can figure out the rest.

Anyway, clearly a 2.75 isn't going to cut it. Post-bacc will help, but you need to make sure you keep your post bacc GPA up high. Take advantage of the AACOM grade replacement policy and seriousley consider retaking some classes that you failed/did poorly in (especially in the sciences). You may also want to consider doing an SMP.

How are your other ECs? For DO schools, research is more of a "cherry on top" than an actual necessity. In other words... it's nice to have, but not necessary. You need to make sure that your clinical and non-clinical volunteering is stellar. What other ECs have you done? Spend time working on those in addition to your research.

Lastly, why are you afraid your LORs aren't good? Is it because you didn't perform well in the class, or did you act up a lot? Again... keep it private if you want, but be honest with yourself. Find a couple teachers that have gotten to know you and ask them to write you a letter. Build a relationship with a couple teachers during your post-bacc. Also, don't forget to shadow a DO physician and get that LOR as well.

When are you planning on taking your MCAT? Have you created a schedule for yourself? Give us some insight as to what your ECs are, and more info on your stats/grades/MCAT so we can help you create a plan for the next couple years.

Due to the length of time the GPA repair will take, I would not advise taking the MCAT now. Wait & take it when you are closer to applying. Your GPA is currently too low to get into a PB or SMP. It can be done, but it took me 80cr of work to get from a 2.8 to a 3.2 in DO calculations...

Members don't see this ad :)

You've got a couple good responses above. I'd just like to add that I think grade replacement via an unofficial post-bacc is the better option than SMP because it will raise your GPA much more quickly. In case you aren't aware, you can retake Chem I (for example) and replace it outright with your new grade. Say you get an A the second time (and C the first time). Grade replacement will turn your Chem I grade into an A, not an average of the A and C.

I wouldn't advise taking too many "advanced" courses because they won't repair your GPA nearly as quickly and just add to the cost and length of your process. With that said, throwing in A&P for good measure wouldn't be a terrible idea to show you can think beyond repeating courses, but that's up to you.

I also agree that you shouldn't take the MCAT right now. You need time to repair the GPA, don't make the mistake of taking the MCAT early and having to explain a poor MCAT as well. Use the time during your post bacc courses to study for the MCAT. Also, I wouldn't worry about research. Concentrate on the courses, they're more important.

Everyone has something on their application that isn't great...yours is your undergrad GPA. Don't give them anything else to ask about so kill your post-bacc, kill your MCAT, get some great letters and put together a stellar application. I think you'll be surprised at the response you get from the schools as long as you kill it from now on.

PS. You have more than a chance in hell, just no more room for error.

You need the underdog thread!!
200px-Underdog.jpg

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=12198644