for all the underdogs feeling hopeless

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hopefullyafutureDOstudent

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
4 years ago, i used to scour SDN for ANY reassurance during my gap year because I was so on edge about getting into med school with my underdog stats.

I'm now a third year medical student at Touro NY. My stats were VERY sub par coming out of undergrad because I went to a very competitive top 20 university.
3.39 cumulative, 3.13 sGPA, 27 and 499 MCAT. The 499 absolutely killed me; i chose to retake the MCAT and was going through a very severe personal crisis and it absolutely tanked my score.

I interviewed at: LUCOM, BCOM, ACOM, Touro NY, AT Still SOMA. Declined NYITCOM Arkansas interview. I was accepted at ACOM & Touro, waitlisted at all the others.

FAST FORWARD 3 YEARS:
I absolutely love medical school, am doing well, and have been studying my ass off. My study habits now are 239482374 times better than they were in undergrad. Being an underdog applying, it lit a fire under me to study harder and put my absolute all into everything. I just scored a 246 on my step 1 USMLE. Step 1 is the most important test of our medical school career, and I want to go into Neurology, EM or Surgery, all of which have a mean Step 1=233-35.

I'm so happy that I kept trying. I felt like absolute **** the entire time I applied. I was one of those that Goro said "dont bother applying and spend time adding to your application." I was all over the "underdogs" thread of SDN while applying my gap year, looking for any sort of reassurance.

To everyone struggling out there, keep going, I promise you it'll be worth it in the end. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 31 users
Nice STEP Score! I am glad you found your groove! Wishing you success during your clerkships and beyond!

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for the encouraging words. I decided I wanted to be a doctor later in life and I was devastated since I had messed up in undergrad that I would never get the chance. I know that applying with a 3.1 overall gpa and a 3.5 sgpa isn’t the best but I do have upward trend and a 4.0 in my masters.

It’s very hard not to freak out about my mcat as my score is revealed Tuesday and I’m trying to keep perspective. Worst comes to worse I take it a second time and delay my app for next cycle, but I’m still healthy and safe which I’m thankful for. Here’s to hoping for that DO reinvention opportunity.

Members don't see this ad :)
How would you compare your MCAT struggles to your Boards accomplishment?

Thanks for the encouraging words. I decided I wanted to be a doctor later in life and I was devastated since I had messed up in undergrad that I would never get the chance. I know that applying with a 3.1 overall gpa and a 3.5 sgpa isn’t the best but I do have upward trend and a 4.0 in my masters.

It’s very hard not to freak out about my mcat as my score is revealed Tuesday and I’m trying to keep perspective. Worst comes to worse I take it a second time and delay my app for next cycle, but I’m still healthy and safe which I’m thankful for. Here’s to hoping for that DO reinvention opportunity.

You're going to be fine! You already have a huge leg up over me, I didn't have a masters degree backing me up. That'll help you a lot. Keep going you're going to make it for sure :)

How would you compare your MCAT struggles to your Boards accomplishment?

I wasn't half as focused or motivated when it came to the mcat, and i got a rude awakening in the end with my horrible scores. that rude awakening really put a fire under my butt when it came to studying for step. it's all a mind game, and it all comes down to how badly you want it. in a way, im glad i went through the mcat failure because it factored into me doing well on step

I wasn't half as focused or motivated when it came to the mcat, and i got a rude awakening in the end with my horrible scores. that rude awakening really put a fire under my butt when it came to studying for step. it's all a mind game, and it all comes down to how badly you want it. in a way, im glad i went through the mcat failure because it factored into me doing well on step
Peep your PM's brotha

You're going to be fine! You already have a huge leg up over me, I didn't have a masters degree backing me up. That'll help you a lot. Keep going you're going to make it for sure :)

Unfortunately not this cycle. My MCAT just released and I just don't think it's wise for me to apply with my score. I don't want to be considered a reapplicant and I don't have enough time to prepare adequately to get a score good enough to apply late in the cycle.

I'm pretty devastated but you know either you give up or you try again. No point in wallowing in the disappointment. I'm just glad that I picked a school to get my account verified that I didn't care about so I don't have to have an automatic rejection to the schools I do want.

Unfortunately not this cycle. My MCAT just released and I just don't think it's wise for me to apply with my score. I don't want to be considered a reapplicant and I don't have enough time to prepare adequately to get a score good enough to apply late in the cycle.

I'm pretty devastated but you know either you give up or you try again. No point in wallowing in the disappointment. I'm just glad that I picked a school to get my account verified that I didn't care about so I don't have to have an automatic rejection to the schools I do want.
What is your score if you don't mind?

What is your score if you don't mind?

498. I'm feeling all the horrible feels of self loathing and disappointment right now but you know it either breaks you or makes you stronger. I studied 10 hours a day 6 days a week but at the end of the day I only had a month to study overall. I don't have regrets about my time I did the very best I could with the time given, but of course it hurts.

Reactions: 1 users
498. I'm feeling all the horrible feels of self loathing and disappointment right now but you know it either breaks you or makes you stronger. I studied 10 hours a day 6 days a week but at the end of the day I only had a month to study overall. I don't have regrets about my time I did the very best I could with the time given, but of course it hurts.

I’m sure you’re devastated. But it’s fine. Not that far from cracking 500! Keep on keeping on. Trust me. It’s not the end of the world dude. Be devastated but find a way to move on. I’ve learned that lingering on things you can’t change, does NOT help. It’s done.

You will do better next time. How were your practice exams?

I’m sure you’re devastated. But it’s fine. Not that far from cracking 500! Keep on keeping on. Trust me. It’s not the end of the world dude. Be devastated but find a way to move on. I’ve learned that lingering on things you can’t change, does NOT help. It’s done.

You will do better next time. How were your practice exams?
First one I took was the AAMC fl 1 before I started studying just to get a idea of where I was at and it was a 490. The second full length was a 502 and the third was a 508. I took the third about 5 days before the actual test so I'm kind of dumbstruck how I dropped from that.

Members don't see this ad :)
To be honest, if it were early enough in cycle and your GPA was 3.4+, you could get in somewhere at new schools with broad app and good interview skills. Apply next year first thing, but might as well give MCAT another go and crack 500 in th meantime.

Keep in mind if you drop from a 498... time to think of Pod school.

First one I took was the AAMC fl 1 before I started studying just to get a idea of where I was at and it was a 490. The second full length was a 502 and the third was a 508. I took the third about 5 days before the actual test so I'm kind of dumbstruck how I dropped from that.
That's pretty crazy... 490, 502, 508.
Those ranges are too broad. Need to figure out what happened.
Testing anxiety?

That's pretty crazy... 490, 502, 508.
Those ranges are too broad. Need to figure out what happened.
Testing anxiety?
Well like I said the 490 was before I started cracking the books at all, I just wanted to take the slap in the face and see how bad I would do if I were to test right then and there. I think the 502 was after 1 week of studying and the 508 was after 3 weeks of studying. My situation only allowed 1 month so like I said I did the best I could with the time I had.

Testing anxiety wasn't bad at all actually I felt good. That's why it hurts even more today cause I really thought I would at least get a 505.

Well like I said the 490 was before I started cracking the books at all, I just wanted to take the slap in the face and see how bad I would do if I were to test right then and there. I think the 502 was after 1 week of studying and the 508 was after 3 weeks of studying. My situation only allowed 1 month so like I said I did the best I could with the time I had.

Testing anxiety wasn't bad at all actually I felt good. That's why it hurts even more today cause I really thought I would at least get a 505.
I mean that is some serious escalation... 12 pts in 1 wk, then another 6 pts 2 wks later.

What exams were you taking?
AAMC material is prob best as far pin pointing score. EK are harder and undervalue score. I never even messed with Kaplan or Princeton.

I love these posts, they give me the inspiration and light that I need in times when I have doubts of myself or my future. I have a 3.5 cumulative and a 3.2 sgpa and a 499 (125/123/126/125) MCAT. 3000 hrs as a med scribe in FM, IM, rheum, ENT, 300 hrs volunteering in ER, 300 hrs shadowing gen surgeon, 100 hrs volunteering for special olympics WA and 500 hrs volunteering at a church. Applying broadly to 22 schools (All D.O)

I love these posts, they give me the inspiration and light that I need in times when I have doubts of myself or my future. I have a 3.5 cumulative and a 3.2 sgpa and a 499 (125/123/126/125) MCAT. 3000 hrs as a med scribe in FM, IM, rheum, ENT, 300 hrs volunteering in ER, 300 hrs shadowing gen surgeon, 100 hrs volunteering for special olympics WA and 500 hrs volunteering at a church. Applying broadly to 22 schools (All D.O)

wow this sounds practically identical to me. youre going to be fine trust me!!! you're gonna get a handful of interviews.

if your situation only allowed 1 month then that explains a lot! you shouldnt be hard on yourself. given more time you wouldve hit the 505. i know a lot of people that postpone and i was also rushed in a month too, and going through a lot of personal stuff, when i got the 499. i also felt really ****ty but keep going i promise you it'll get better

Reactions: 1 users
This gives me so much hope :) thank you for sharing!!! I’ve had some people on here tell me I have no chance and I have almost identical stats to yours. I’m happy to hear med school is going well for you!!!

This gives me so much hope :) thank you for sharing!!! I’ve had some people on here tell me I have no chance and I have almost identical stats to yours. I’m happy to hear med school is going well for you!!!

keep going! i promise youll get interviews! just apply widely and with an open mind :)

OP any tips on how I can get that high of a score too?

OP any tips on how I can get that high of a score too?
for step 1? study your ass off, make an organized schedule and stick to it, UFAPS (U world, First Aid, Pathoma, Sketchy) and don't overload on resources. i was studying 12+ hours a day during my dedicated boards studying.

for step 1? study your ass off, make an organized schedule and stick to it, UFAPS (U world, First Aid, Pathoma, Sketchy) and don't overload on resources. i was studying 12+ hours a day during my dedicated boards studying.
Can you give a tidbit example of how your schedule was during school and what is was like during dedicated as well?