kinda scared

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bringiton

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
OK, so I'm a senior trying to decide whether I need to take a year off to increase my chances. Because of my chosen career path, I'll reapply if I don't get into a top ten, and don't really want to waste the money this year if I'll need to do it all over again next year.

Stats:
GPA: 3.9
sGPA 4.0 (but tough semester coming up- second semester orgo!!)
MCATs: March!!

Research: 1 publication, but eighth author; 1.5 yrs + 1 summer in a different lab
ECs: president of two health-related clubs
Clinical: Lots of shadowing, volunteer 4h/week for last 3 years

Spent a summer in South Africa doing a survey regarding malaria; general focus of application is interest in malaria, and by extension global health (research is in malaria).

Since I'm applying to research-focused schools, I guess research is my weakness, but not sure what I can do about that now besides taking a year off to do some.

Members don't see this ad.

OK, so I'm a senior trying to decide whether I need to take a year off to increase my chances. Because of my chosen career path, I'll reapply if I don't get into a top ten, and don't really want to waste the money this year if I'll need to do it all over again next year.

Stats:

Research: 1 publication, but eighth author; 1.5 yrs + 1 summer in a different lab

Spent a summer in South Africa doing a survey regarding malaria; general focus of application is interest in malaria, and by extension global health (research is in malaria).

Since I'm applying to research-focused schools, I guess research is my weakness, but not sure what I can do about that now besides taking a year off to do some.

Seriously? You sound like a good student with unique experiences. You'll probably do just fine on the MCAT since you seem to be pretty good at studying so what are you so worried about? The MCAT isn't that tough if you dedicate some time to it. Of course you could be a complete melvin (South Park reference ;)) at an interview and could be rejected from everywhere. You have a good shot as long as you aren't socially awkward.

Seriously? You sound like a good student with unique experiences. You'll probably do just fine on the MCAT since you seem to be pretty good at studying so what are you so worried about? The MCAT isn't that tough if you dedicate some time to it. Of course you could be a complete melvin (South Park reference ;)) at an interview and could be rejected from everywhere. You have a good shot as long as you aren't socially awkward.
:thumbup:

Its really down to your MCAT. I have to add that you lack truly substantial research though. But that wont break you if you have a 39 MCAT as expected of all people with 3.9s =P

Members don't see this ad :)
Your ECs right now are fine for the average med school, but Top Ten schools aim to train the future leaders in medicine. Your application needs to reflect that potential and I think you'll need every bit of that extra year to beef up your experiences so you'll be Top-Ten worthy.

Will the longterm satisfaction you garner from life really be that much improved if you postpone your education another year to try and attend a top-ten school as opposed to another well-respected institution? What if you wait a year and still do not get in to the top ten? How happy will you be with your choice at that point?

Your ECs right now are fine for the average med school, but Top Ten schools aim to train the future leaders in medicine. Your application needs to reflect that potential and I think you'll need every bit of that extra year to beef up your experiences so you'll be Top-Ten worthy.

Especially at No.1:thumbup:

I would say your app looks good and you will have a chance for top 10. (depending on a 35+ MCAT)

But, even with all that, those schools are a real crap shoot and it is hard to predict who gets in and not.

I think you are playing a dangerous game if you just want to be a MD one day. You can get where you want from many schools....

Will the longterm satisfaction you garner from life really be that much improved if you postpone your education another year to try and attend a top-ten school as opposed to another well-respected institution? What if you wait a year and still do not get in to the top ten? How happy will you be with your choice at that point?

Good Point...:thumbup:

What is your chosen career path that you can only achieve at a top-10?

"my research can only be found at... Harvard" *teeheehee*

Members don't see this ad :)

Stats:

To be blunt, if you are dead set on top ten or bust you need to pull a 35+ first of all (preferably on the first try), which is no where near in the bag with a 3.9. Only 20% or so of applicants with a 3.8 or higher had a 36+. However, unless you rock a 40+ or are a Washington or related state resident, your chances of getting into a top 10 are far from assured (and with a 40+ I would still only put you even money at all of them but WashU, which as a somewhat higher acceptance rate in terms of those they interview). If you truly feel like the top 10 is the only thing that's going to make you happy (and honestly I'd push it back to top 12 at least because there is some flux in and out of the top 10) , you need to take some time off and build more ECs. Go back to Africa for a year or two and continue what you were doing. Go rebuild in Haiti, do more research, whatever makes you passionate. Without time off there is a strong chance of you not making it into a top 10 even with what you have and a 35-39 MCAT. If you have to reapply your chances of top 10 are probably shot. Not only will you be applying to the same 10-12 schools, but they will have already rejected you once and know that you were rejected by all other schools (they won't know you just applied to top ten, which is probably a disadvantage, but if they knew that you only applied top 10 they might also view that negatively).

Last edited:

Stats:

sounds to me like another loser is showing off HAHAHAHA,

DONT FEED THE TROLL:troll: :troll: :troll:

Perhaps. I agree that its probably a honest question!

I posted here back in the days, with my 39s, receiving hate mail and all that, but hey, i really knew NUTS about app. I didnt even know what to DO. what to WRITE. AT ALL.

But thats just me, I have a knack of being unprepared and in a mess, and things usually work out just fine anyway.

=p