Kinda worried

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PreMedBud

Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
The GPA-MCAT grid shows you have a 50% chance for a MD acceptance. With those odds you should apply to at least 6 DO schools and include LECOM and PCOM.

Reactions: 1 user
What was your first MCAT score? You should try to get some primary care shadowing. It will be good for updates/interviews or if you have to reapply. Does the 1000s of hours you have over seven years in nonclinical volunteering include service to the unserved/underserved in your community?

Members don't see this ad :)
Isn't it too late to apply for this cycle? Especially since I haven't shadowed a DO doctor yet?
It is not too late to apply to DO schools. Submit your application this month and all your secondaries by the end of the month. Most schools do not require a DO LOR.

How much will it affect my chances as a DO reapplicant if it doesn't go well this year? Assuming similar stats and working in research/volunteering for a year?
With your stats, I'm sure you will get a few DO interview invites. You do have a LOR from an MD right? I do not know about being a reapplicant for next year, but I am confident you will get at least one interview. Not to late for DO, just before Thanksgiving! it might take a little to get your AACOMAS verified and have transcripts resent so if you're thinking about it, do it soon. Or you can wait another year. Research will not significantly help your application. An MCAT retake would. If you do not get any MD love this year, you will most likely not get any next year even with extra volunteering and research. If So it would be 2021 when you would be entering med school if you wait another year!

How much will it affect my chances as a DO reapplicant if it doesn't go well this year? Assuming similar stats and working in research/volunteering for a year?
You should receive several DO interviews if you apply broadly. I suggest these schools:
PCOM
LECOM (all schools)
VCOM (all schools)
CUSOM
MU-COM
WVSOM
UP-KYCOM
CCOM
DMU-COM
KCU-COM
ATSU-KCOM

FYI I bolded the parts of my app that I think stand out the most (both good and bad)

State
: PA
Background: ORM
GPA Grid: 3.7 cGPA/ 3.6 sGPA (Upward Trend)
MCAT: 505 (127/125/128/125) - was a retake (lol) - very disappointed, my practice FL average was 518

Research: Doing research on campus

Clinical Volunteering: 300+ hours
ER volunteer at hospital
Volunteer EMT (fully certified)
Volunteer at nursing home

Non-Clinical: 1000+ hours (do a lot of community service with a lot of organizations for 7+ years)

Shadowing: Shadowed surgeon (about 40 hours) at a private practice

Leadership:
VP for one organization
Treasurer for a few organizations
Founder of registered nonprofit that's in the healthcare field

Other Activities/Info:
Actively involved in 10+ clubs at my university that are related to healthcare, STEM, and community service
Tutoring
Bilingual
Very solid LORs, especially my committee letter

School List: 11 total (all MD)
Loyola
Thomas Jefferson
Drexel
Geisinger
Penn State
Northeast Ohio
Maryland
Cooper
Virginia Commonwealth
Temple
Wright State

I know they're all MD, but I want to know if I have an honest shot. The one thing dragging down my application is my MCAT and if I have to reapply, I'll apply DO too since its too late to start applying this cycle.
With a 505, I'd say Geisinger is a shot IF you're from the Scranton area. Loyola might give you some love. The rest were likely donations

Your practice scores were 518 but you ended with a 505 ? Did the nerves get the best of you ?

What do you think happened with the practice vs actual score? FL 518 is a great score. Anyways, it’s definitely not late for DO. MD chances this cycle look slim, but really good chances for DO. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users