• SDN Site Updates

Hey everyone! The site will be down for approximately 2 hours on Thursday, August 5th for site updates.

SayAahh

10+ Year Member
Jan 21, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
One of my sources states that, as temperature increases, more molecules are moving at higher speeds. And another source says, as temperature increases, FEWER molecules will be moving at the new average speed. Why the discrepancy?

Thanks!

alanan84

D1
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 17, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
One of my sources states that, as temperature increases, more molecules are moving at higher speeds. And another source says, as temperature increases, FEWER molecules will be moving at the new average speed. Why the discrepancy?

Thanks!

Have you heard of the Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution? It shows the distribution of molecules with certain KE. The only thing that changes it is temp. As temp. increases, the curve kind of flattens out meaning that more molecules have higher kinetic energies and therefore higher average speeds. I believe your first source is correct. Check out this link. Hopefully it works.

http://www.chemistrylecturenotes.com/assets/images/Maxwell-Boltzman__Temp_.jpg

bigstix808

Mac Daddy Member
10+ Year Member
Oct 10, 2007
GA
Status (Visible)
  1. Dentist

Thanks!
there is no discrepancy with your statement, its a matter of interpretation. as temperature increase, more molecules are in fact moving at higher speeds by pure definition. at the same time there will also be fewer molecules moving at the new AVERAGE speed because the collision energies are spread over a larger range with more collisions occuring at higher temps

check the chart, that should help visualize.
2778328550048425017MPMkWY_ph.jpg

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.