Kinetics dr collins

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thesituation559

Ready for whatever
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am having trouble on problems 16-1 and 16-2. If someone could explain those two I would really appreciate it.

Members don't see this ad.

I am having trouble on problems 16-1 and 16-2. If someone could explain those two I would really appreciate it.

16-1) X + [OH]^Y ---> who cares
Rate = k[OH]^Y [X]
X doesn't matter, they tell you they double the OH concentration and the rate goes from .002 to .008 so it increases fourfold or 4times. You are trying to find Y. So, 2[OH]^Y = 4 so Y = 2

16-2) Since tripling the concentration of A does not change the overall rate it is zeroth order and since doubling the concentration of B doubles the rate it is first order. Therefore rate = k^1 or just , A is not included because it is zeroth order which is just 1, [A]^0 = 1

If you don't understand this still then you need to watch some videos or check out wiki.

16-1) X + [OH]^Y ---> who cares
Rate = k[OH]^Y [X]
X doesn't matter, they tell you they double the OH concentration and the rate goes from .002 to .008 so it increases fourfold or 4times. You are trying to find Y. So, 2[OH]^Y = 4 so Y = 2

16-2) Since tripling the concentration of A does not change the overall rate it is zeroth order and since doubling the concentration of B doubles the rate it is first order. Therefore rate = k^1 or just , A is not included because it is zeroth order which is just 1, [A]^0 = 1

If you don't understand this still then you need to watch some videos or check out wiki.

I understand 16-1, but I'm still a little off on 16-2. So in this case if was still doubled but it tripled the rate it would be second order then?

I understand 16-1, but I'm still a little off on 16-2. So in this case if was still doubled but it tripled the rate it would be second order then?

How do you get that? Rate (change in rate is usually double or zero or quad) = [change in concentration (usually a whole multiple for the PCAT like doubled or tripled or quadrupled] ^x

so if B was doubled and the rate tripled then it would be 3 = 2^x
x= the order