Na2SO4 will dissolve.
B. The Ksp will be unchanged and additional
Na2SO4 will dissolve.
C. The Ksp will increase and additional
Na2SO4 will precipitate.
D. The Ksp will remain unchanged and
additional Na2SO4 will precipitate.

The correct answer is B.

But I am not sure why? I though Ksp changes dpeneding on the concentration. :rolleyes:

If you know how to explain this Q, plz let me know. Thanks!

Notoriousjae

DAT Rockstar
10+ Year Member
May 23, 2006
Status
Pre-Dental
Ksp is the solubility constant. It will remain unchanged however increasing the basicity will cause more of the Na2SO4 to dissociate into ions. hence the answer is B

About the Ads

DonExodus

Dentist in Virgin Islands
10+ Year Member
Jul 6, 2006
Status
Dentist
How can you tell that it is a base? Very similar to H2SO4 heh... Why wouldnt it precipitate?

slayerdeus

10+ Year Member
Jul 19, 2006
Status
Pre-Dental
It doesn't depend on concentration because according to the law of mass action it will be equal on both sides so they cancel if an increase or decrease in concentation is seen. If I remember correctly, the ONLY thing that affects constants such as Ksp and Keq is TEMPERATURE.

Notoriousjae

DAT Rockstar
10+ Year Member
May 23, 2006
Status
Pre-Dental
DonExodus said:
How can you tell that it is a base? Very similar to H2SO4 heh... Why wouldnt it precipitate?

It wont precipitate because it is a saturated solution and not a supersaturated solution.

tom_servo_dds

10+ Year Member
Jun 20, 2006
Status
Pre-Dental
slayerdeus said:
It doesn't depend on concentration because according to the law of mass action it will be equal on both sides so they cancel if an increase or decrease in concentation is seen. If I remember correctly, the ONLY thing that affects constants such as Ksp and Keq is TEMPERATURE.
You are correct! :thumbup:

About the Ads