Ksp question need help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Smooth Operater

don't bug "operatEr"!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Which of the following will occur if the
basicity of a saturated solution of Na2SO4 is
increased?
A. The Ksp will decrease and additional
Na2SO4 will dissolve.
B. The Ksp will be unchanged and additional
Na2SO4 will dissolve.
C. The Ksp will increase and additional
Na2SO4 will precipitate.
D. The Ksp will remain unchanged and
additional Na2SO4 will precipitate.

The correct answer is B.

But I am not sure why? I though Ksp changes dpeneding on the concentration. :rolleyes:

If you know how to explain this Q, plz let me know. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I think Ksp is an inherent property of a compound. Therefore, it wont change no matter what you do to it. adding base will cause more of na2so4 to dissolve by acid-base rxn.

Ksp is the solubility constant. It will remain unchanged however increasing the basicity will cause more of the Na2SO4 to dissociate into ions. hence the answer is B

How can you tell that it is a base? Very similar to H2SO4 heh... Why wouldnt it precipitate?

Members don't see this ad :)
It doesn't depend on concentration because according to the law of mass action it will be equal on both sides so they cancel if an increase or decrease in concentation is seen. If I remember correctly, the ONLY thing that affects constants such as Ksp and Keq is TEMPERATURE.

DonExodus said:
How can you tell that it is a base? Very similar to H2SO4 heh... Why wouldnt it precipitate?

It wont precipitate because it is a saturated solution and not a supersaturated solution.

slayerdeus said:
It doesn't depend on concentration because according to the law of mass action it will be equal on both sides so they cancel if an increase or decrease in concentation is seen. If I remember correctly, the ONLY thing that affects constants such as Ksp and Keq is TEMPERATURE.

You are correct! :thumbup: