Ksp question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

reising1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
EK 1001 Chem #557

Which expression could be used to find the number of grams of solid NaCl that would have to be added to 20.0 mL of 6.0 M AgNO3 to form a saturated solution of silver chloride. Silver chloride has a Ksp of 1.8x10^-10.

How would one do this problem?

Members don't see this ad.

This is a pretty straightforward solubility problem.

The first thing I do is I look at the compound for which I am given Ksp. In this case, that compound is Silver Chloride. From there, I write out the equation for silver chloride's dissociation along with the equilibrium expression.

AgCl(s) <---> Ag+(aq) + Cl-(aq)
Ksp = [Ag+][Cl-]
Notice that we leave AgCl(s) out of the equilibrium expression since it is a solid.

From here, this question is basically asking us how much NaCl we can dissolve into this solution. This is a common ion effect question since NaCl and AgCl both dissociate into Cl- ions. The next step should be to make an ICE chart:

AgCl(s) <---> Ag+(aq) + Cl-(aq)
I......................6M...........0
C.....................+x.........+x
E.....................6+x..........x

We plug in the values that we got at equilibrium back into our expression for Ksp:

Ksp = (6+x)(x)
At this point, we can ignore the x inside of the (6+x) expression (if we didn't, we'd need to use a quadratic equation which is out of the scope of the MCAT)

Leaving us with:

Ksp = 6x
==> x = Ksp/6

x is our Molar Solubility. This is basically telling you how much x you can dissolve at equilibrium. Since we are interested in Cl- concentration and at equilibrium, Cl- concentration = x according to our ICE chart, x represents the molarity of Cl- that you can dissolve to saturate this solution.

We are interested in finding the amount of grams NaCl that can be used to saturate this solution. Molarity = # of moles/ L solution = grams/Molar Mass / L solution
==> after some algebra, you should be left with:

grams NaCl = [Ksp (L solution) (Molar Mass NaCl) ] / 6

Hope that helps! Please correct me if I made any mistakes.

Last edited: