KU Med Class of 2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Im headed over to Europe on the 6th of June and Ill be there till the 16th of July. Ill be going to Amsterdam, Paris, Barcelona, Switzerland, Rome, Corfu, Athens and a Ios in Greece (I hear its the best party place in Europe). May be Ill run into some of you there. Cant wait to get out of my current job at the hospital and relax before med school.

Oh yea, who thinks that it is ethical to say dip into the legal party life in amsterdam even if it not legal in the US?

Members don't see this ad.

KSU_MASH said:
I don't know if there is already one of these threads. I could not find one. If there is someone point me in the right direction.

Michael :)

What were your stats?

phleebie said:
BTW what's the kumed formal dance like? I've never even heard about it...

It was called "The Grande Affair". All MS1s through MS4s (and their dates) are invited (of course, there is a fee) to a really nice dinner, presentation w/ awards (which I skipped out on being an MS0) and followed by dancing. It was a great time - a HUGE turnout. My bf and I sat at a table with all the recently matched MS4's - pretty awesome to see what we have to look forward to in a few years!

phleebie said:
my trip isn't finalized yet either but I am for sure going to Switzerland, Germany, Italy, and the Netherlands. I'd like to visit more countries but I can only take so many train rides.

That's a lot of places to see in just 2.5 weeks. Sounds like a blast! Will you be getting the Eurail pass? By the way, be sure to go see Geneva while you're in Switzerland. That's a sight not to be missed. :)

Joelcar said:
Oh yea, who thinks that it is ethical to say dip into the legal party life in amsterdam even if it not legal in the US?

I won't tell if you don't. ;)

ForbiddenComma said:
There's also a new bar and grill across the street from Murphy, and as I understand it, business there is quite brisk. What? Party school? naah...

Are you referring to Downy's? :thumbup:

ForbiddenComma said:
Have any March admittees received their packets yet?

Nope. :thumbdown:

Members don't see this ad :)
Joelcar said:

i might tell. unless your share. ;)

so when are we gonna get these packets with info in them? i've never seen a school so slow to take their deposit money!

stoic said:
i might tell. unless your share. ;)

so when are we gonna get these packets with info in them? i've never seen a school so slow to take their deposit money!

I'm getting a little antsy too. The last I heard from them was this email dated March 25th.....

"Many of you have called inquiring when you will receive the information
regarding matriculation, etc. We are working on that at the current
time and do plan to get it mailed to you in the next several days."

I would like the packet and I would like a large stack of cash mailed with it. Please?! :D

Joelcar said:
Cant wait to get out of my current job at the hospital and relax before med school.
what kind of work do you do? i'm working as a phlebotomist until school starts, and I'm itching to quit my job, too--i'm pretty tired of poking people with needles all day. it's so mind-numbing.

Joelcar said:
i say, live it up while you can. i'm definitely going to check out some coffee shops in Amsterdam, but i think i'll pass on the red light district. a bad case of crabs would be a horrible way to start med school :oops: .

evajaclynn said:
That's a lot of places to see in just 2.5 weeks. Sounds like a blast! Will you be getting the Eurail pass? By the way, be sure to go see Geneva while you're in Switzerland. That's a sight not to be missed. :)
I know, that's why I would really like to stay longer--we're only going to spend a couple of days in each city. I don't think I'll get a eurorail pass (they're pretty pricey) although it might end up being the better deal. and we weren't planning on going to geneva, but now that you mention it, i'll lobby for a detour :) .

phleebie said:
I know, that's why I would really like to stay longer--we're only going to spend a couple of days in each city. I don't think I'll get a eurorail pass (they're pretty pricey) although it might end up being the better deal.

Yeah, I'm not planning on getting a Eurorail pass either - its actually pretty cheap to fly between some cities, so you might want to check out that option to (if you haven't already).

phleebie said:
and we weren't planning on going to geneva, but now that you mention it, i'll lobby for a detour :) .
:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

stoic said:
i might tell. unless you share. ;)
WELL, if you know of a random PO box address someone has...

and if i'm not mistaken, you were an ED'er, so I can't even imagine the wait you've had for this info packet. seriously, it's probably been a couple months shy of a year since you were accepted, and you still can't put down your deposit yet :confused: .

evajaclynn said:
Yeah, I'm not planning on getting a Eurorail pass either - its actually pretty cheap to fly between some cities, so you might want to check out that option to (if you haven't already).

you're right there are some REALLY cheap flights available in europe. but, I am deathly afraid of flying (i'm really dreading the trans-atlantic flight) and i've heard some horror stories from my friends who have flown on some of those cheaper euro-airlines.

phleebie said:
and if i'm not mistaken, you were an ED'er, so I can't even imagine the wait you've had for this info packet. seriously, it's probably been a couple months shy of a year since you were accepted, and you still can't put down your deposit yet :confused: .

yup, they informed us of acceptance oct 1st, and said the info/deposit package would follow in a few weeks....

phleebie said:
but, I am deathly afraid of flying (i'm really dreading the trans-atlantic flight) and i've heard some horror stories from my friends who have flown on some of those cheaper euro-airlines.

Dude, like you I am irrationally afraid of flying! I missed out on a lot of stuff b/c i didn't want to get on a plane. So I went to the doctor and got an Rx for Xanax that i take before flying. Now I like flying :thumbup:

phleebie said:
but, I am deathly afraid of flying (i'm really dreading the trans-atlantic flight) and i've heard some horror stories from my friends who have flown on some of those cheaper euro-airlines.

stoic said:
Dude, like you I am irrationally afraid of flying! I missed out on a lot of stuff b/c i didn't want to get on a plane. So I went to the doctor and got an Rx for Xanax that i take before flying. Now I like flying :thumbup:

I can only imagine what its like to have a fear of flying. I went on my first plane trip at before I could walk and I've been going non-stop since then. Jumped out of one once too! :thumbup: :)

However, I am slightly claustrophobic...though that hasn't set me back too much yet. :laugh:

stoic said:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: this past november I flew out to LA to see my brother, and even though it was a relatively short flight, I needed a tylenol pm and a stiff bloody mary to knock me out on the plane :laugh: .

but I may need to see my doc before this trip...

Members don't see this ad :)
evajaclynn said:
Jumped out of one once too! :thumbup: :)
I'd rather take the MCAT 10 times over than jump out of an airplane. yikes!

phleebie said:
what kind of work do you do? i'm working as a phlebotomist until school starts, and I'm itching to quit my job, too--i'm pretty tired of poking people with needles all day. it's so mind-numbing.

I work in at Harborview Medical Center on the Psy ICU. I run around all day saying dont do this, take this medication, whats up doc and you might want to look at this with you patient. It's a great job, its part of the University of Washington and so it is a teaching hospital. I get to help train med students on psy issues and learn from the residents and attendings on that floor and the ones that come to do consults with the patients on our floor.

phleebie said:
i say, live it up while you can. i'm definitely going to check out some coffee shops in Amsterdam, but i think i'll pass on the red light district. a bad case of crabs would be a horrible way to start med school .

I think I will check out the alt side of things and see where things go from there. It will at least be something to remember when Im hitting the books is school.

yeah, the Grande Affair was a pretty good time, especially if you had a date (IMHO).....evajac was freakin' WASTED, but then again I had a few too many winecoolers that night as well :horns:. You all should go and see your beloved anatomy prof's get their moves on with their hot, younger women

Besides that, i wish you all a relaxing, NON ACADEMIC summer (except for the physics guy, damn that sux)

ps-----eva, would it be more accurate if I called you a M(-1)????? hahahahaha....jk jk. Don't forget i still wanna check out your new house

felipe5 said:
evajac was freakin' WASTED

C'mon, lets not get rumors started now before school even starts! :laugh:

felipe5 said:
ps-----eva, would it be more accurate if I called you a M(-1)?????
+pity+

felipe5 said:
Don't forget i still wanna check out your new house

Anytime man, just let us know when you have time to come over! Nala could use a friend to play with too. :)

stoic said:
So when is this grand affair generally held?

I think right after the MS4s match. This year it was held last Friday (April 1st). :thumbup:

From the time that I began applying and all through my acceptance period KU has been weeks/months behind their stated schedule for getting us info. Does anyone know if this will continue all through our time there or is there some sort of anomoly with this year's starting class? I really hope that this is not a sign that KU doesn't know what their doing -- Most of the time I have no idea what I'm doing so I really need them to have a clue. Anybody know if this tardiness is typical for KU SOM? Can't wait to start.

Soup said:
From the time that I began applying and all through my acceptance period KU has been weeks/months behind their stated schedule for getting us info. Does anyone know if this will continue all through our time there or is there some sort of anomoly with this year's starting class? I really hope that this is not a sign that KU doesn't know what their doing -- Most of the time I have no idea what I'm doing so I really need them to have a clue. Anybody know if this tardiness is typical for KU SOM? Can't wait to start.

My boyfriend is an MS1 and he says that they are usually pretty on top of everything. Apparently they are in the midst of a lot of technology upgrades, so that may have something to do with it.

To all that were wondering about the wait list: I am on the list and I have inquired a great deal about the subject around my work space. I work over at KUMC and I have gotten some pretty good feedback from those that have knowledge.
1) They accept more people than actually attend the school up front(~30 canidates)
2) Once those 30 or so reject then they dip into the wait list.
3) The number that they accept from the list range year to year, but in recent years the numbers have been very high. Last year they went into the upper 60's, which means a decline of nearly 90 students. The worst year in recent date for the wait list was in the mid to lower 20's a few years back.

Unfortunately it is just a waiting game, and I am onboard with all of you all.

still waiting for that info packet........ :sleep:

I called yesterday and it seems that all the finacial aid stuff is mostly done but we can't access it till we get the info packets. Peggy said the same thing as three weeks ago, "within the next several days".

Caesarsgrl said:
I called yesterday and it seems that all the finacial aid stuff is mostly done but we can't access it till we get the info packets. Peggy said the same thing as three weeks ago, "within the next several days".

does anyone else feel sorta like KUMC needs to get their **** together, or at least stop feeding us BS about when we should expect the info? I kid you not it has been "within a couple of weeks" everytime I've heard from them since OCTOBER. I know things sometimes take longer than expected, but freakin' a, this is ridiculous. We have summers to plan, as well as making sure all of our **** is in order for next year...

I just want all the info squared away. KU is where I want to go, bu tI'm not pullin from my other schools until I mow I have things in order

Still a lotta nuthin'.

Maybe they don't really want us there :(

Yeah, I got nothin'.

They did send me an application for an enrichment program for disadvantaged, minority, and rural students, though. Anyone else get that?

Charlie said:
Yeah, I got nothin'.

They did send me an application for an enrichment program for disadvantaged, minority, and rural students, though. Anyone else get that?

Nope, but I did get this email last week from someone who interviewed me. They asked if I had any questions and encouraged me to attend med school at KU. I'd be glad to if they would send the paperwork.

Oh well, soon enough.....in the meantime, I'll continue thinking of ways to run out of money before school begins. :)

Charlie said:
Yeah, I got nothin'.

I got that, too. I hope it actually went to some minorities.

nateksu said:
I got that, too. I hope it actually went to some minorities.

Are you planning on doing it? Have you heard anything about the program, good or bad?

evajaclynn said:
Nope, but I did get this email last week from someone who interviewed me. They asked if I had any questions and encouraged me to attend med school at KU. I'd be glad to if they would send the paperwork.

Oh well, soon enough.....in the meantime, I'll continue thinking of ways to run out of money before school begins. :)

:laugh: :laugh: yes, I heard from the very nice Pam Shaw, too. i remember when you saw that she was going to interview you--you let out a nice loud "YESSSS!" right as she called your name. oh good times.

are you excited as i am for a vacation in europe? it'll be fun, but i'm going to come home completely broke. oh well--gotta have one last hurrah before school starts, right?

anyone else in the process of finding a place right now? after searching around the kumed center area a bit, i think i'm close to signing a lease at rainbow ridge apts., though i'm not quite sure yet. suggestions anyone?

phleebie said:
anyone else in the process of finding a place right now? after searching around the kumed center area a bit, i think i'm close to signing a lease at rainbow ridge apts., though i'm not quite sure yet. suggestions anyone?

i'm gonna be at rainbow ridge next year :thumbup: :thumbup:. there are at least a handful of other sdn'ers that either live there or are going to.

stoic said:
i'm gonna be at rainbow ridge next year :thumbup: :thumbup:. there are at least a handful of other sdn'ers that either live there or are going to.
right on :thumbup: . i'm pretty sure that's where I'm gonna live.

There is a series of apartment complexes off of the I-35 Lamar exit that are popular. The commute is rather short, and during morning rush hour you can even avoid the highway and take the side roads. You take a right just before the Quiktrip and head on down that direction. They're considerably nicer than what you can find near KUMC.

ForbiddenComma said:
They're considerably nicer than what you can find near KUMC.
Oh i would definitely imagine so. i looked at a few of the more "economical" apts around KUMC just to see what they were like inside, and a couple of those places were complete shiit holes, no joke. i mean this one place literally smelled like poop while the lady was showing me the apt. i was trying really hard not to gag, again no exaggeration.

I was having a look at the Quality Hills Tower website and it seems pretty nice. Affordable, and it'll allow pets, for a price.

Mapquest also says it's only 8 minutes from the med center.

phleebie said:
:laugh: :laugh: yes, I heard from the very nice Pam Shaw, too. i remember when you saw that she was going to interview you--you let out a nice loud "YESSSS!" right as she called your name. oh good times.

are you excited as i am for a vacation in europe? it'll be fun, but i'm going to come home completely broke. oh well--gotta have one last hurrah before school starts, right?

Too funny - yeah, I was pretty laid back at the interview. I was so excited because you were saying she was so nice, and this other guy just had an interview with someone who was pretty intense, so I was really hoping I had the nice lady! "Yessss!" - I hadn't even seen Napolean Dynamite yet at that point. :laugh:

Definitely excited about Europe - had to modify the trip a bit because we were trying to go to too many cities too quickly. We're actually booking hostels and stuff now, so its really happening. Can't wait!!!! I think we're going this route - Frankfurt - Prague - Budapest - Athens & Greek Islands - Venice - Florence - Cinque Terre - Sorrento/Naples/Pompeii/Capri area - then meeting my family in Rome and heading off to Croatia. So you wanna talk about going broke? :laugh: Oh well, I've never been to any of those places before, so I'm sure it will be worth it. Definitely one big last hurrah.

As for apartments - I know of several people living at Rainbow Ridge right now and they seem to enjoy it there. I also agree with the person who mentioned the apartments by Lamar and I-35. There are some peeps there too. I'll be living by I-35 and Antioch. About a 10 minute commute, but it'll be worth it. Pretty close to a nice Gold's gym too. We'll get to work out at KU for free, and its an alright gym, but the equipment is by no means new. At least you know that wherever you live, you're only locked in for a year, so if you don't like it, you can easily move! Good luck to all of you figuring it out.

evajaclynn said:
I think we're going this route - Frankfurt - Prague - Budapest - Athens & Greek Islands - Venice - Florence - Cinque Terre - Sorrento/Naples/Pompeii/Capri area - then meeting my family in Rome and heading off to Croatia.
Wow, that's quite an itinerary! But it sounds like a blast. Here is our final plan: Amsterdam - Copenhagen - Prague - Munich - few cities in Switzerland. and yes, Geneva, Switzerland will be one of our destinations ;) .

phleebie said:
Wow, that's quite an itinerary! But it sounds like a blast. Here is our final plan: Amsterdam - Copenhagen - Prague - Munich - few cities in Switzerland. and yes, Geneva, Switzerland will be one of our destinations ;) .

Sweet - there's nothing like being in a city where your name is plastered all over everything. :) I spent just a day there about 5 years ago. I'm going to have to miss it this time around, but I hope to be back there someday.

So when are you taking off and returning? I'll be out from May23-July1. Then I have a month to do who knows what.

To all you other soon to be KU Med students: When is everyone planning on moving into their new living accomodations?!

evajaclynn said:
To all you other soon to be KU Med students: When is everyone planning on moving into their new living accomodations?!

we're taking posession of our apartment july 1st, but i'm not going to move in immediately. i think i'll probably be moving up the road for good in the late second week of july.

stoic said:
we're taking posession of our apartment july 1st, but i'm not going to move in immediately. i think i'll probably be moving up the road for good in the late second week of july.

That'll give you a few weeks to relax before school begins! :thumbup: :thumbup:

evajaclynn said:
So when are you taking off and returning? I'll be out from May23-July1. Then I have a month to do who knows what.
I leave on June 29 and then I come back July 17. But my lease starts on June 1, so I've also got a free month to pick my nose/do something pointless but fun.

phleebie said:
I leave on June 29 and then I come back July 17. But my lease starts on June 1, so I've also got a free month to pick my nose/do something pointless but fun.

I'll try to let you know how things go in Prague since I'll be there just a bit before you go! Are you planning your hostels out in advance or playing it by ear? Seems like its really busy in the summer, and we don't went to spend a ton of time trying to find a good place to stay. So I think we'll try to do some advance planning, though I think it would have been fun to try to keep things more flexible.

Are you quitting your job at the end of May then?!

evajaclynn said:
Are you planning your hostels out in advance or playing it by ear? Seems like its really busy in the summer, and we don't went to spend a ton of time trying to find a good place to stay.

Are you quitting your job at the end of May then?!

i feel like i should be doing more advanced planning, but a buddy of mine who's going with us on this trip keeps telling me to relax, and that buying train tickets/finding decent hostels can all be done over there. we'll just go with the flow i guess...

prague is supposedly amazing. i hear their medieval castles are just unreal to see in person.

and yeah, my last day of work is sunday, may 22. needless to say, i can't wait!

stoic said:
officially signed my lease today. i'll see you there, man!

So I was getting a little antsy and called the office of admissions and they said that they were moving offices. They said the admissions packets should be out by the second week in May.

By the way, does anyone have the phone number to the Rainbow Ridge. Im hopefully going be arriving the last week in July and hopefully have a place to live already setup.

I just wanted to post this housing link that I found on the student services website. After some deliberation, I think I'm gonna rent a house. 4 years of apartments is enough!

They said the admissions packets should be out by the second week in May.

Good Grief!