KU Med Class of 2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Soup said:
They said the admissions packets should be out by the second week in May.

Good Grief!

Good Grief! is right! what on earth is taking so long? perhaps this is an ominous sign as to the way students get treated in KUMC (but I hope not)

Members don't see this ad.

My goodness the second week of may. :wow: Hey isn't the packet full of a bunch of photocopied forms they already have on file and maybe like 2 or three 3 personal things specific to the applicant?

I'm gonna call financial aid and see if they will at least tell me about the package they awarded so I can get on top of looking for more loans if necessary. For us out of staters, 50 grand a year is more than they loan out from stafford, and I'm worried about the amount of time they are gonna leave us for planning.

I'm getting a house too. I've had more of apartment living than I can stand lol. too many loud neighbors during finals. I'm not sure when I'm coming out though probably the beginning of July. What areas are you guys looking around for housing other than right next to the school. It'd be great to have some classmates near by.

Shaun

oh yeah I'll let you know what they say at financia aid.

Soup said:
They said the admissions packets should be out by the second week in May.

Good Grief!
I've been trying hard not to complain (because I'm truly grateful for the acceptance) but this is pretty disconcerting.

First it was "sometime in Feb." Then it was "within the next few days." Now it's "we're changing offices so it'll be the second week of May." My gosh--how is it that the original mailing date was three months off?!!

I don't mind waiting. I just want the school to be upfront and tell us the truth. If they're merely waiting for the field of entering matriculants to narrow down as other schools hand out acceptances, this is a horrible way to go about it.

Members don't see this ad :)
The 2nd week of May? Are you freaking kidding me? That's ridiculous.

ok, so I called financial aid, and they say that they won't tell us anything about our financial aid packages (even though they have been awarded and are simply waiting for us to approve and accept them) till we get the groupwise email... in our packets.

I keep telling myself that patience is a virtue but my frustration level at not knowing what's going on and not knowing if they're gonna tell us is starting to rise. and I'm getting worried, about the info packet, and about what this means for the years ahead.

I'm totally psyched to be going to KU, it was my first choice, partly because they really seemed to care about their students, but I don't want the excitement to fade into worry.

Comeon KU help us out.

One more question kinda unrelated, i work at starbucks and I'm looking to transfer stores to KC, anyone know a couple of nice stores around the campus?

thx guys

One more question kinda unrelated, i work at starbucks and I'm looking to transfer stores to KC, anyone know a couple of nice stores around the campus?

There's one a few blocks away on 39th street. There's also a couple indie coffee shops there too in case you want to free yourself from the corporate behemoth ;)

An email I just received from Peggy Heinen at KU Med Admissions:

"I believe you will receive that information before mid-May. But, if
you prefer, you can send in a short "acceptance" letter with your $50.00
deposit to our office at

KU School of Medicine
Admissions Office, Mail Stop 1049
3901 Rainbow Blvd.
Kansas City, KS 66160

Also, if you wish to access your e-mail account that has been set up
for you, please call me at 913-588-5283 and I will give you the
information you need."

Hope that helps!!!

Thanks, Eva. Any clue on how exactly to write the LOI?

ForbiddenComma said:
Thanks, Eva. Any clue on how exactly to write the LOI?

"After many months of consideration and continual review of your application profile, I have decided to accept your offer of acceptance at the University of Kansas. You have no idea what you're in for."

How's that sound? :)

ForbiddenComma said:
There's one a few blocks away on 39th street. There's also a couple indie coffee shops there too in case you want to free yourself from the corporate behemoth ;)

LOL thanks for the location. I think I'll han with them though at least for a while, that corporate behemoth has some pretty awesome employee benefits.

Good news about the packet. :clap:

Oh and eva your surgery trip looked awesome! what an incredible opportunity!

Caesarsgrl said:
Oh and eva your surgery trip looked awesome! what an incredible opportunity!

Thanks! It was definitely a cool experience. :thumbup:

So I got ahold of Peggy and I've got my new KU email address & password. Once you login, you can access your financial aid info. Sweet.

I then talked to Angie Dopp (913-588-5171) in the financial aid office and found out that I should go ahead and file my income appeal form right away. So if any of you are also quitting jobs in the next few months, you may want to do the same. You'll need a letter from your employer stating your last day of work and also your last pay stub.

Hope this all helps! I don't know what else will be in the packet that we need to know, but this is a good start.

you rock eva thanks for all the detective work

evajaclynn said:
So I got ahold of Peggy and I've got my new KU email address & password. Once you login, you can access your financial aid info. Sweet.
:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: very nice work

Members don't see this ad :)
Caesarsgrl said:
you rock eva thanks for all the detective work

phleebie said:
:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: very nice work

Yeah - now maybe I should actually be focusing on my job while I'm at work! :laugh:

I talked to Peggy this morning. She said that she is sending out email info/passwords today.

lol I talked to peggy also and she told me to pass along through the grapevien that the whole packet is goingout today :)

can't wait to see you all there August 1st.

Hey what do we do at orientation anyway?

After all that work.....oh well. :p

At least the ball has been set in motion and we'll get those ridiculous info packets soon! :thumbup:

I'd just like to thank everyone who has figured all this info packet stuff out. I've been quietly complaining to stoic and others about the lack of information. Caesarsgrl, I wouldn't worry too much about what orientation is going to be like. I'm sure it will be explained in this mythical information packet, or quite possibly it could be in the "Orientation packet" that will arrive sometime afterwards (I made up the orientation packet, I've never heard of one). And not to be rude but I hope it takes awhile to get to August 1st when I get to meet you :) because I'm going to have a long, beautiful summer that will be ended when I meet you. However, if you are in K.C. in mid-july drop me a PM and maybe we can arrange a pool party/bbq. As part of my summer vacation I plan to sit for hours on end drinking colorful drinks, soaking up harmful UV rays, and accomplishing absolutely nothing.

Once again, thanks for the info...and for anyone else's info I still haven't gotten an email or packet. I think it would be funny if they sent the email to our new email accounts.

Hey, me and one friend (2 guys) are looking for a house w/in a couple of blocks of KUMC. We have been using the housing ads link on the KUMC website. We found several 2 bedroom houses. However, we are wanting to look at larger houses (3-4 bedrooms) because they are cheaper. If there are 1-2 other people who are interested in living in a house around campus email me. Looking for a 7/1/05 move in date.

Michael
[email protected]

woohoo!! finally got that bloody info packet in the mail. i've never been so thrilled to do paperwork...

phleebie said:
woohoo!! finally got that bloody info packet in the mail. i've never been so thrilled to do paperwork...

:clap:

So I got a call from back home and was told that I had been sent the infamous "packet" in the mail, but it didn't have any financial aid information in it! Does anyone know the story on this?

ishaninatte said:
So I got a call from back home and was told that I had been sent the infamous "packet" in the mail, but it didn't have any financial aid information in it! Does anyone know the story on this?

You get your financial aid info online - just log in to your kumc webmail account (should have the info in your packet, I think) and you'll find an email from financial aid mixed in with all the others. Follow the steps in the email and you can find out your reward package. :thumbup:

you all better believe that i'm gonna be checking the mail everyone 15 minutes today....

the packet is here.

there is a lot of paperwork in it.

but at least i have my kumc.edu email address now.

stoic said:
the packet is here.

there is a lot of paperwork in it.

but at least i have my kumc.edu email address now.

So I suppose that means that we all don't have to use SDN to communicate anymore. :) And our real names will finally come out! :laugh:

I cant believe that I looking forward to go in debt at least 35,000 dollars a year for the next 4 years.

Joelcar said:
I cant believe that I looking forward to go in debt at least 35,000 dollars a year for the next 4 years.

I can't believe we're going in debt that much either, but...once you get that criminal background check out of the way...your options of obtaining money greatly expand! :laugh: anyway, I hope you guys haven't given up on sdn now that we have emails...

Jmuhnie said:
I can't believe we're going in debt that much either, but...once you get that criminal background check out of the way...your options of obtaining money greatly expand! :laugh: anyway, I hope you guys haven't given up on sdn now that we have emails...

Did my criminal background check already...I'm clean! Whew!!! ;)

For some reason they have in their records that I lived in Michigan in 1999. Might be something I need to look into as I've never been to Michigan.....

evajaclynn said:
Did my criminal background check already...I'm clean! Whew!!! ;)

For some reason they have in their records that I lived in Michigan in 1999. Might be something I need to look into as I've never been to Michigan.....

i'm also clear on the background check! (is it bad that i was somewhat relieved to find out for sure?)

evajaclynn, has your bf given you any hints as to what to expect during orientation?

I was watching the news last night when I saw a late breaking report of a fire near KUMED...
(that's interesting, I thought)
The fire was at an apartment complex near 35th and Rainbow...
(hey that's close to my future apartment)
The footage showed major fire damage on the third floor of the Apt. Complex...
(hmmm, my future apt is on the third floor)
The anchor said up to 15 apts had been damaged at Rainbow Ridge Apts...
(F**k)

I didn't even wait to see the rest of the report. By the time I arrived at the scene, the place was surrounded by fire trucks. It turns out the fire was not at my building, but at the one adjacent to it. I was happy. Then I saw the people who had lost their homes to the fire standing outside--no outbursts, just blank expressions. As a drove home, I made note of two things:

1. Don't ever use grills on third floor apt. decks, especially when it's windy
2. I need to lose the me-first attitude: people lost their homes yesterday while I was celebrating my own dumb-luck. The larger picture is always more important.

Rainbow Ridge is supposed to be my new home for next year as well. I called a couple days ago to ask when I could sign a lease and the girl there said she wanted to wait until june to have us sign a lease but gauranteed us a spot. I wonder if that promise is still going to hold true or if stoic and I will have to be looking for a new home. :( I'm going to call tomorrow and find out the good/bad news. Maybe the fire will make people scared, cause them to move out, create lots of vacancies, and thus force the apartment complex to give us a really good special to live there. Is it bad to hope that a fire will lower my rent? In any case, I hope those 15 apartments aren't damaged so badly that all of those people have to move. I don't think Rainbow ridge had that much extra capacity.

I don't know--the 15 or so apts were toast. burnt. Hopefully they honor their guarantee to you guys.

That bites. Sorry, guys.

I mentioned earlier in one of the KU threads, a string of complexes just off of I-35 and Lamar. A number of med students and other KUMC types live there, and I've heard the commute is not bad at all. Plus, the area is much nicer. (you may have noticed the email from KUPD about car thefts near KUMC, ugh)

Yea... the rainbow ridge thing is a total bummer :thumbdown: . I've really been looking forward to living there... hopeful things work out.

stoic, what apartment did you and your roomate sign on?

I'm just thankful no one was hurt....for those that are freaking out about next year, it could be alot worse. Your home and all of your possessions could have just been ruined.

felipe5 said:
stoic, what apartment did you and your roomate sign on?

I'm just thankful no one was hurt....for those that are freaking out about next year, it could be alot worse. Your home and all of your possessions could have just been ruined.

we hadn't signed on a specific apartment yet, but had put down a deposit. they told us to come in a sign sometime around june 1st, but who knows what will happen now.

how many people have been displaced because of this? and where are they going to be staying?

Felipe - no damage to your apartment, right?! I hadn't heard anything, so I didn't think so... Hope everything is alright.

As far as orientation goes, Felipe could probably tell everyone a lot more about that. From what I heard, its getting to know each other and the school during the day and partying while you still can at night. As for exact details, I'm not really sure.

Oh, and to follow up the big bash that we had two weeks ago with the MS1's, we're planning on having some sort of MS1/MS2 BBQ/Beer Fest at our place in early August...so keep your calendars open! :)

I called Rainbow Ridge today. They said not to worry. Only 3 of the apartments were damaged enough to make people move out. They told me that they still have plenty of space for us. I'd just like for them to figure out what apartment we'll be living in so we can sign a lease. I was a little worried there for a second, all my hopes for a good place to live were flashing before my eyes.

In other news...I'm struggling through my last 2 weeks. I don't know how much longer I can do this undergrad thing. How am I supposed to care about finals when I know that I can't get worse than a C in any class regardless of my test outcomes? So right now I find myself playing this game Kitty Cannon most of the time. It is mindless fun, but be careful to not get addicted!

Jmuhnie said:
So right now I find myself playing this game Kitty Cannon most of the time. It is mindless fun, but be careful to not get addicted!

Hmm...slightly disturbing game, but I just shot my kitty 519 feet on my 3rd try. :laugh:

I heard about this one on the radio on my way to work this morning: http://www.bobscube.com/

Okay, back to work..... :thumbdown:

Hey guys,

I'll be at KUmed this August as well...and I'm really excited. Too bad I haven't done anything that the packet says yet except for the May 10th stuff...;)

I was wondering more about appts and where everyone was living. I plan on NOT living right around the corner...like maybe closer to the art district. Anyone else doing that sort of thing????

Kendall

SKS704 said:
Hey guys,

I'll be at KUmed this August as well...and I'm really excited. Too bad I haven't done anything that the packet says yet except for the May 10th stuff...;)

I was wondering more about appts and where everyone was living. I plan on NOT living right around the corner...like maybe closer to the art district. Anyone else doing that sort of thing????

Kendall

Hey Kendall,
Just make sure that your daily commute isn't too long, and you won't have a problem! Mine will be about 10 minutes from door to door - as long as the traffic isn't too bad on the highway. There will be a lot of people living right next to KU, and at the same time, plenty of others will be making a commute. Personally, I don't think I would like waking up every day and seeing the med school right outside my door, but then again, those people can just walk to class. Its all about personal preference. Where do you think you'll end up living?

evajaclynn, where are you living? I'm flying to KC in a few weeks to do some intensive apartment hunting -- any ideas are very welcome since I'm not all that familiar with the area.

medicEZ said:
evajaclynn, where are you living? I'm flying to KC in a few weeks to do some intensive apartment hunting -- any ideas are very welcome since I'm not all that familiar with the area.

there are a lot of apartments within a few blocks of the campus. rainbow ridge is popular (myself and several other sdn'ers are going to or already do live here), and so are rainbow towers.

eva can tell you more about living elsewhere than i can, so i'll let her fill you in.

see you in two and a half months.

dave

medicEZ said:

I'm living in a house that we're sharing with 4 other KU med students. However, there are some really nice looking apartments just down the street from our place.

Like Stoic wrote, a lot of students live at Rainbow Ridge. It seems like that's a great place to start your first year and get familiar with the area. Rainbow Towers are also there, but I've never seen the inside of that place, so I'm not sure what its like. Also, I've heard that a lot of medical students live out at Woodview - not too bad if you're sharing, but expensive if you're living by yourself.

Here's a link I just found: http://www.apartmentcities.com/Kansas-City-Apartments/KU_Medical_Center_Apartments.asp

Not sure if it will be helpful, but a few apartments are listed.

Another link, with many apartments, Rainbow Ridge is #24. At least this gives you an idea of the locations of a lot of the apartments in the area!
http://www.apartmentcities.com/Kansas-City-Apartments/Kansas_City-KS_Apartments.asp
As you can see - there are plenty of places to look at!

And if you're out of state, you can check out the Missouri side too. I spent a few months living at City Place in Westport in Kansas City, MO. Great area, also right next to the Plaza, but a little bit more expensive because of the location. Its also about a 2 minute drive to KU Med.

Anyways, hope that this helps a little bit in the apartment search!

Sorry to change the subject, but has anyone heard of any movement from the waitlist? I guess now that I've actually graduated, I'm getting a little anxious to hear from them.

nateksu said:
Sorry to change the subject, but has anyone heard of any movement from the waitlist? I guess now that I've actually graduated, I'm getting a little anxious to hear from them.

nateksu, check out the website at https://www2.kumc.edu/som/aissupapp. So far 2 people have been taken off... hopefully it will start to pick up this week.

thanks for your help!

nateksu said:

On par with NateKSU's post, is anyone privy to how quickly the waitlist may or may not move? I recall someone saying that last year they hit the 40s by early-June. Was that typical or was that an exceptionally large and quick amount of movement? Either way, did the website accurately reflect said movement last summer? I know the application site is supposed to be up-to-date, but this one number a day routine is excruciating. Also, without prying, has anyone forfeited his/her spot on the waitlist? If so, what number? I hate to be blunt, but I know many like myself are painfully curious... Thanks and best of luck to everyone who's waiting and congrats to those who've been accepted!!!

I heard the list got to the 60's a couple years ago. But on other years it didn't get past the 30s.

The snafus they were having in the admissions office may have helped get some people to accept elsewhere. I hope so, mainly because someone that I care about is on the waitlist. What is your position, myx?