KYCOM vs VCOM-Louisiana

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

samartin86

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
KYCOM Pros:
-cheaper by 10k per year (total COL)
-really liked campus feel/faculty
-internal/rural medicine focus
-liked the surrounding area (nice people and great nature stuff)
-established program
-block schedule (one large test every 4 weeks)
-heavy on OMM

KYCOM Cons:
-11 hours from home
-Sub national average of COMLEX first pass rate (and probably mean scores)
-poor residency match rate relative to other schools
-not familiar with local culture

VCOM-LA pros:
-4 hours from home
-VCOM has great match rate/COMLEX scores (VCOM LA too hopefully)
-serves the Mississippi delta region (area I would like to practice)
-has the historical success
-haven't visited campus yet but it's an area/geography I'm familiar with
-I'd get to go to school in an area I'm culturally familiar and enjoy being a part of

VCOM-La cons:
-new school (2025 is second grad class)
-no data on match rates or pass rates as a result
-10k more expensive (COL)
-lighter on OMM


My current career goal is to practice in a rural/medically underserved area in the southeast and preferentially in the Mississippi Delta region as a physician practicing internal medicine. Any and all input is appreciated. Best Wishes and good luck to all
 
Agree with the OMM swaps. Even if you end up liking OMM and use it, you want less in need school so you have more time to study other subjects that you actually need the time for. You won’t learn to be good the first 2 years of labs. You become proficient in residency and an attending.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
KYCOM Pros:
-cheaper by 10k per year (total COL)
-really liked campus feel/faculty
-internal/rural medicine focus
-liked the surrounding area (nice people and great nature stuff)
-established program
-block schedule (one large test every 4 weeks)
-heavy on OMM

KYCOM Cons:
-11 hours from home
-Sub national average of COMLEX first pass rate (and probably mean scores)
-poor residency match rate relative to other schools
-not familiar with local culture

VCOM-LA pros:
-4 hours from home
-VCOM has great match rate/COMLEX scores (VCOM LA too hopefully)
-serves the Mississippi delta region (area I would like to practice)
-has the historical success
-haven't visited campus yet but it's an area/geography I'm familiar with
-I'd get to go to school in an area I'm culturally familiar and enjoy being a part of

VCOM-La cons:
-new school (2025 is second grad class)
-no data on match rates or pass rates as a result
-10k more expensive (COL)
-lighter on OMM


My current career goal is to practice in a rural/medically underserved area in the southeast and preferentially in the Mississippi Delta region as a physician practicing internal medicine. Any and all input is appreciated. Best Wishes and good luck to all
Always go with the more established school.
 
KYCOM Pros:
-cheaper by 10k per year (total COL)
-really liked campus feel/faculty
-internal/rural medicine focus
-liked the surrounding area (nice people and great nature stuff)
-established program
-block schedule (one large test every 4 weeks)
-heavy on OMM

KYCOM Cons:
-11 hours from home
-Sub national average of COMLEX first pass rate (and probably mean scores)
-poor residency match rate relative to other schools
-not familiar with local culture

VCOM-LA pros:
-4 hours from home
-VCOM has great match rate/COMLEX scores (VCOM LA too hopefully)
-serves the Mississippi delta region (area I would like to practice)
-has the historical success
-haven't visited campus yet but it's an area/geography I'm familiar with
-I'd get to go to school in an area I'm culturally familiar and enjoy being a part of

VCOM-La cons:
-new school (2025 is second grad class)
-no data on match rates or pass rates as a result
-10k more expensive (COL)
-lighter on OMM


My current career goal is to practice in a rural/medically underserved area in the southeast and preferentially in the Mississippi Delta region as a physician practicing internal medicine. Any and all input is appreciated. Best Wishes and good luck to all
You can’t really say KYCOM has a poor match list, is it because of lots of primary care matches?
KYCOM Pros:
-cheaper by 10k per year (total COL)
-really liked campus feel/faculty
-internal/rural medicine focus
-liked the surrounding area (nice people and great nature stuff)
-established program
-block schedule (one large test every 4 weeks)
-heavy on OMM

KYCOM Cons:
-11 hours from home
-Sub national average of COMLEX first pass rate (and probably mean scores)
-poor residency match rate relative to other schools
-not familiar with local culture

VCOM-LA pros:
-4 hours from home
-VCOM has great match rate/COMLEX scores (VCOM LA too hopefully)
-serves the Mississippi delta region (area I would like to practice)
-has the historical success
-haven't visited campus yet but it's an area/geography I'm familiar with
-I'd get to go to school in an area I'm culturally familiar and enjoy being a part of

VCOM-La cons:
-new school (2025 is second grad class)
-no data on match rates or pass rates as a result
-10k more expensive (COL)
-lighter on OMM


My current career goal is to practice in a rural/medically underserved area in the southeast and preferentially in the Mississippi Delta region as a physician practicing internal medicine. Any and all input is appreciated. Best Wishes and good luck to all
KYCOM although VCOM-LA is closer to Mississippi, but I would choose the more established school
 
You can’t really say KYCOM has a poor match list, is it because of lots of primary care matches?

KYCOM although VCOM-LA is closer to Mississippi, but I would choose the more established school
Their first time residency match rate isn't as high as most other school. They report that their senior match rate for their top two choices is around 70% and the top three choice match rate is about 90%