lab assistant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nkool

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I just started volunteering in a lab office. The job is to count the slides etc ,enter the data in to the computer etc.
Before starting i thought i would be in the lab..b/c i wanted to volunteer in teh lab.
so, now i'm confused to continue with it or not..
Or i would just look for an research lab oppurtunity?
:confused:

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,
I just started volunteering in a lab office. The job is to count the slides etc ,enter the data in to the computer etc.
Before starting i thought i would be in the lab..b/c i wanted to volunteer in teh lab.
so, now i'm confused to continue with it or not..
Or i would just look for an research lab oppurtunity?
:confused:

Well it depends. Ar you doing this at your undergrad institution? If so, alot of the PIs start undrgrads slow, and give them more responsiblities if they see the student is committed. The best thing to do is ask your PI or others in the lab to Se if there is a chance for you to increase your role if you put in the time.

Since you are a volunteer and not paid you have every right to want the most out of your experience. Sometimes slide processing and data entry is the way they ease you into how the lab works. Ask other students/postdocs in the lab how they started. If anyone is particularly friendly ask them their opinions on how you can get more of an active role in the research. Often they know how to handle their PI better than random message board posters.

When all is said and done if you are unhappy, you may want to speak to the PI about ways to enhance your role in the lab. Be polite and remember that every person in a lab has a certain amount of boring data entry etc. they must do. You just don't want to be doing all of that work without any of the more interesting parts.

This is a good lesson. Before starting in any lab make sure you and the PI are on the same page about your goals and what you hope to gain out of the experience.