Lab Closings

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blazinfury

5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
From what I have observed, obtaining grants these days is extremely difficult. As a result, many labs are closing? Is this common nowadays because it seems like a very sad way to lose one' s job if a scientist truly loves their job and making new discoveries. After hearing many ppl describe how they are low on funds and/or had to close their labs, I am glad to do MD/PhD b/c I will have something to fall back on, in any case. Is it possible for an MD/PhD to lose their lab also? How common is this?

It just seems like research does not seem to pay b/c ppl are losing their jobs, even if they are assiduous individuals. Can anything be done to curb this?

Members don't see this ad.

vote pro-science politicians into office, pick a field that gets lot of funding. Be thankful that at least you're not in theoretical physics.

vote pro-science politicians into office, pick a field that gets lot of funding. Be thankful that at least you're not in theoretical physics.

Well said.