Lab Management, Molecular and Hemepath for AP boards

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PathRes123

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I am an AP/CP resident taking (only) the AP portion of the Boards in a few weeks.

I wanted to know how Hemepath and Molecular is distributed between the AP versus CP portions of the test (since I want to review only the AP-relevant portion). My sense is that neoplastic Hemepath and cytogenetics (FISH, translocations, etc) in Molecular is more AP-ish, and the remainder more CP material.

Also, how does one study Lab Management for AP? My sense is AP mostly gets histology/blocks/staining related Qs than Lab Mgt proper. Is there a good resource to cover this from?

Any pointers would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Some of the lab management relates to cytopath, which can be found in certain review books. The Halliday cytopath question book is good for that. I think some of the CP texts also cover some of the AP management issues, like how long to retain slides and blocks. Rosai's book has some other info in the first few chapters.

Basically I think you are right about the distribution of heme, cytogenetics, molecular into the AP boards. It is hard to remember well because I took both at the same time, but most of molecular is fair game in AP. I believe Flow is also fair game.

Hem overlaps on AP and CP. I took the exam in 2009 and the hem portion that appeared on AP exam was restricted to lymphomas...or to be more specific LYMPH NODE PATHOLOGY (both neoplastic and non-neoplastic). I don't recall Bone marrow pathology on AP. Leukemias came on the CP only.

Mo Path on the AP was restricted to tumor genetic translocations, immunomarkers and very few stuff from the molecular basics of neoplasia. So it is not a big deal on the AP...

Lab management on the AP was also few and you won't find one source that can be helpful. Some questions came from the real life practice, rather than from textbooks. You won't get many lab management on AP though (compared with the CP which has many of them and can affect your chance of passing). I found the lab management/administration questions/topics of the RISE (year of 2000 and beyond) very useful and I believe this would be enough for the AP. I just went over these questions/topics and almost all the lab management section came from there (same or very close). I recommend you get those RISE topic lists and go over them. You don't need more than this.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yaah posted useful info about the board. It helped a lot when I took the exam. Search for it on this forum using the search bar.

Thank you yaah and Patho2009. That was helpful. All my peers here are taking AP+CP, and so don't care, and the ABP site was rather vague.