lab report questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MG Md 2B

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I'm having issues with a couple discussion questions on a cell biology lab report, involving E. coli. and DNA.
1)What type of precipitate does single-stranded DNA form, and why?
2)This problem where you calculate the circumference of the E. coli. DNA molecule given the information they present. It comes up to be about 1400 micrometers. It then states, that if the E. coli. cell is only 2 micrometers in length, what problems does the circumference present. And, discuss this problem.

Any help would be very much appreciated. I feel like I should know the answers, but for some reason, it's just not happening. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

MG Md 2B said:
Hey everyone, I'm having issues with a couple discussion questions on a cell biology lab report, involving E. coli. and DNA.
1)What type of precipitate does single-stranded DNA form, and why?
2)This problem where you calculate the circumference of the E. coli. DNA molecule given the information they present. It comes up to be about 1400 micrometers. It then states, that if the E. coli. cell is only 2 micrometers in length, what problems does the circumference present. And, discuss this problem.

Any help would be very much appreciated. I feel like I should know the answers, but for some reason, it's just not happening. Thanks!

I am not sure about question 1-What type of precipitate?? I did not know there were types of precipitates. I imagine it would easily ppt out since there is no base pairing interactions or other topologies to stabilize it.

2- The E.coli DNA is wrapped up in a nucleoprotein complex called the nucleoid. This helps to pack the DNA into the 2um space.

#1 regarding the precipitate is asking how it would precipitate out when alchohol is added to a DNA solution. I forgot to say that part. The double stranded will be fibrous, I just didn't know about the single stranded.
Thanks for the help with the second one!

I'd check your decimal places on the second problem. Maybe the answer the book is looking for is 1.4, not 1400.