Lab Tech interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KristenD77

Predent
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey I have a lab tech interview and was wondering if anyone who have gone for an interview for this position can tell me some of the questions they asked? The job description lists PCRs, GWAS, sangerr sequencing, DNA extraction from whole blood, flurometry etc

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey I have a lab tech interview and was wondering if anyone who have gone for an interview for this position can tell me what some of the questions they asked? The job description lists PCRs, GWAS, sangerr sequencing, DNA extraction from whole blood, flurometry etc

No one really asked me about my skills per say. They were more interested in the projects that I had worked on before and wanted to make sure I could articulate what I had done, why that method makes sense, etc etc. Then we moved into the "this is what my lab does and what you may need to do in the future" part, and even if you've never heard of the techniques, you just have to assure them/show your confidence in your ability to learn new things.

Of course if they're interviewing lots of candidates then experience matters because they won't have to devote a lot of time into training someone who already knows what to do. Barring that, I've found these interviews low-pressure.

(Also if this is a tech job for an undergrad, even more chill. PIs have lots of experience taking on students and are likely to take good care of you).

Reactions: 2 users
I'd ask you about your experience, your work history and how you get along with other people. Also see if you can do math on your feet.

Hey I have a lab tech interview and was wondering if anyone who have gone for an interview for this position can tell me what some of the questions they asked? The job description lists PCRs, GWAS, sangerr sequencing, DNA extraction from whole blood, flurometry etc

Members don't see this ad :)
It depends on the PI and the type of research you're interviewing for. Some interviewers will just ask a lot of behavioral questions and some friendly questions on your previous research. Some interviewers will ask technical questions if the position you're applying for requires specific technical skills. Look up your job description and look at the required skills in the job posting.

Reactions: 1 user
Agreed with the above. Also, if you don't have experience with the techniques then I don't think you'll have to know them in great detail. Those techniques are easy enough to pick up anyways. But, if you list a technique on your resume then you better know how to do it/ the theory behind it. Always hated it when a person would come in saying they were an expert at a technique and then obviously knew nothing about it.

Always hated it when a person would come in saying they were an expert at a technique and then obviously knew nothing about it.

"Yeah I've done a Western blot. I mean I can blot facing all directions you name it."

"Yeah I've done a Western blot. I mean I can blot facing all directions you name it."

You laugh but I had an interviewee legitimately say that the only difference between Northern, Western, and Southern blots is the direction the gel runs. :eek:

You laugh but I had an interviewee legitimately say that the only difference between Northern, Western, and Southern blots is the direction the gel runs. :eek:
You should've asked them the difference between Eastern blotting and Far Eastern blotting.

Reactions: 1 users
Agreed with the above. Also, if you don't have experience with the techniques then I don't think you'll have to know them in great detail. Those techniques are easy enough to pick up anyways. But, if you list a technique on your resume then you better know how to do it/ the theory behind it. Always hated it when a person would come in saying they were an expert at a technique and then obviously knew nothing about it.
Thanks, do you know any PCR type of questions that are typically asked? I have that listed on my resume and want to be fully prepared for anything that they might ask

Thanks, do you know any PCR type of questions that are typically asked? I have that listed on my resume and want to be fully prepared for anything that they might ask

Honestly just know the general procedure of how PCR works. Don't stress too much, you'll be ok.