Lab Work

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MJDNSN9

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I am currently a junior in college and I have worked in a research lab for about a year. I was just curious if anyone knows how heavily medical schools look at this and if it's really necessary to do. I will keep doing it if I need to, however, I just really do not enjoy the laboratory setting. Any input on this subject would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! ~MJ

Members don't see this ad.

Med schools don't care much about lab work. If you can turn it in some sort of semi-independent research project, it might look good.

1 year of research is good. they do like long-term commitments and publications are great. however, if you can't stand working there anymore just leave. 1 year is not like working for 3 weeks and quitting..

Members don't see this ad :)
If you want to continue doing research, find a new lab. You may find you enjoy research in a different area or under a different PI.

Med schools don't care much about lab work. If you can turn it in some sort of semi-independent research project, it might look good.

?? i thought most school recommend research

i think it's good that you've tried it and now know it's not really where you see yourself. i personally didn't like the lab setting either and found a place to volunteer that i loved and would not take back than any sort of publication opportunity.

on the other hand, if you are planning on applying to schools such as hopkins/harvard (top research schools) it would probably be good to have a lot of research experience.. and again like somone mentioned, getting published would have the greatest impact.

but hey, it's your time that's at stake. if you don't like it, don't do it. there are tons of other things to experience! that's just my opinion :)

I would definitely recommend a structured research project in which you work w/other undergraduates under a senior advisor, as opposed to working under a graduate student who might abuse his/her power and have you do all of the work. Hope this helps~