Lactic acid question........

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JustwantDDS

DrAMG
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
315e6n6.jpg

doesn't it also make ATP?

ATP/NAD+/lactate

the whole point of NAD+ is to keep glycolysis going right...to make those 2ATP via substrate lvl phosphorylation........
i chose B and its the right answer but then i got to thinking............:confused:

Members don't see this ad.

oh from the pyruvate they gain lactate only i see

ATP isnt from the pyruvate..........

right?

No, ATP is formed via Glycolysis. lactate is formed to regenerate NAD+ so ATP formation could continue by Glycolysis.

hm...I thought fermentation or whatever happens in anaerobic condition after pyruvate formation generates 2 ATP whereas aerobic (kreb cycle electron transport system) generates about 36 ATP.

Members don't see this ad :)
hm...I thought fermentation or whatever happens in anaerobic condition after pyruvate formation generates 2 ATP whereas aerobic (kreb cycle electron transport system) generates about 36 ATP.

You need to know that once 2 pyruvates are made from glucose, in the absence of oxygen they are shunted to fermentation or lactic acid formation. But ATP is NOT made during formation of lactate and ethanol. All they do is regenerating NAD+, so Glycolysis could go on, thus making a net of 2 ATP every time glucose is converted into 2 pyruvates.

Another good thing to know is that the lactate will be stored in the liver and converted back to glucose when oxygen becomes available.