LANAP vs SRP+Periostat+Arestin

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TSDentSurg

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are your views on LANAP as opposed to SRP+Periostat and/or Arestin? I use the latter, simply because I haven't learned LANAP yet (I'll probably learn it in Perio residency), but I find the theory behind it to be intriguing.

What do you believe the role of it is? As a step between SRP+abx and GBR, as a replacement for SRP+abx, what?

I've read some case reports of it obviating the need for GBR in some patients.

It seems like a pretty interesting procedure that could reduce the need for painful and invasive surgery.And lasers are always awesome!

Members don't see this ad.

What are your views on LANAP as opposed to SRP+Periostat and/or Arestin? I use the latter, simply because I haven't learned LANAP yet (I'll probably learn it in Perio residency), but I find the theory behind it to be intriguing.

What do you believe the role of it is? As a step between SRP+abx and GBR, as a replacement for SRP+abx, what?

I've read some case reports of it obviating the need for GBR in some patients.

It seems like a pretty interesting procedure that could reduce the need for painful and invasive surgery.And lasers are always awesome!
LANAP i.e. the LASIK of periodontal gum disease tx. It's an innovative technique requiring innovative technology.

LANAP is apparently less invasive, reduces number of visits, and yields more consistent results. Seems like there are advantages in treating gum disease via regeneration rather than resectioning. Yay! Blasting bacteria with lasers while leaving healthy tissues intact.

SRP on the other hand, is a scaling technique.

The disadvantages I see here is that SRP alone can only get rid of plaque as far down into the gum line, and this technique doesn't seem less invasive at all. However, throwing ARESTIN into the equation provides antibiotic treatment which allows for residual bacteria to be killed/removed where SRP alone couldn't. Also, the therapeutic effects of ARESTIN is relatively continual even after the visit, but briefly.

Through my eyes, the pros and cons seems dependent on whether you want to be more or less invasive and/or set yourself apart from your colleagues/competitors. I'd personally go for the former.:love: