Why isn't LANAP used more frequently?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TSDentSurg

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Why don't more dentists and periodontists train in LANAP? It seems like it could definitely be a superior alternative to SRP+Arestin, gingivectomy, flap debridement, and forestall the need for bone grafting and extraction of mobile teeth.

I've seen reports of it reducing 12 mm pockets to 2-3 mm ones! http://www.lasergumdentist.com/LANAP-Cases.html#2737

Patients can then avoid costly bone grafting and implants, or unwieldly splinting and SRP, which does nothing to regenerate the lost bone and attachment, merely slowing the progression of the infection and bone resorption.

It always find it interesting that we don't use these new and clinically-validated procedures, instead preferring to do what we're familiar with, even if it's more expensive and damaging to the patient.

A patient can have their infected gums LANAPed and their mobile teeth splinted during the healing process, thus allowing them to keep otherwise-healthy teeth. Or they can have their mobile teeth extracted, a bone graft+Maryland bridge, and then an implant-supported bridge.

The former allows them to stabilize and keep their natural teeth, and allowing them to get back to a natural life within a few weeks. The latter requires a least a year before they can eat their favorite foods like steak and stuff, as they need an extraction and bone graft, wait six months for that to heal, then placement of implants, and up to six months before they osseointegrate and can be restored.

Members don't see this ad.

I think you might have better luck with getting quality feedback on a lot of your questions at Dental town rather than SDN.

Members don't see this ad :)
Why don't more dentists and periodontists train in LANAP? It seems like it could definitely be a superior alternative to SRP+Arestin, gingivectomy, flap debridement, and forestall the need for bone grafting and extraction of mobile teeth.

I've seen reports of it reducing 12 mm pockets to 2-3 mm ones! http://www.lasergumdentist.com/LANAP-Cases.html#2737

Patients can then avoid costly bone grafting and implants, or unwieldly splinting and SRP, which does nothing to regenerate the lost bone and attachment, merely slowing the progression of the infection and bone resorption.

It always find it interesting that we don't use these new and clinically-validated procedures, instead preferring to do what we're familiar with, even if it's more expensive and damaging to the patient.

A patient can have their infected gums LANAPed and their mobile teeth splinted during the healing process, thus allowing them to keep otherwise-healthy teeth. Or they can have their mobile teeth extracted, a bone graft+Maryland bridge, and then an implant-supported bridge.

The former allows them to stabilize and keep their natural teeth, and allowing them to get back to a natural life within a few weeks. The latter requires a least a year before they can eat their favorite foods like steak and stuff, as they need an extraction and bone graft, wait six months for that to heal, then placement of implants, and up to six months before they osseointegrate and can be restored.

Maybe because of research like this -
J Clin Periodontol 2011; 38: 470–478 doi: 10.1111/j.1600-051X.2010.01695.x

I know very little about the whole LANAP protocol, but don't dismiss the value of sticking with what you're familiar with.

id go check out dt, not alot of dentists hang out here. As for lanap as far as I know its the only therapy that regrows real attachment and not just LJE so Im not sure why its not used more often. Id assume the cost of the therapy and the cost of the laser. Could anyone tell me what the research link says my comp wont open it.