• Advice You're Thankful for Contest

Now that it's getting close to Thanksgiving, we're running a contest to hear advice you've received that you're most thankful for! This can be any type of advice and the advice with the most reactions will win!

JOIN CONTEST

landmark studies/guidelines

Aclamity

Jul 6, 2011
Big Apple, USA
    Just wondering if there's a list somewhere of the landmark studies and/or major guidelines (like JNC 7, ATP III, etc) that are good to know for 3rd year/life.

I'm at a place where the attendings LOVE the evidence-based stuff, and I always get pimped on it. Just once I'd like to be able to say "oh yeah! I did hear about that trial where they found out blah blah blah"

Problem is I never know about such papers until an attending brings it up. I have no clue how to go about finding these landmark papers on my own (aside from sifting through a million pubmed articles, which would still be futile because I'd have no idea what to look for or how to recognize a landmark study when I see it). How do you guys do it? Is there a list?

FutureInternist

Probationary Status
    Lifetime Donor
    10+ Year Member
    Aug 24, 2007
    Where Bugs Bunny should have made a left turn
    1. Attending Physician
      Just wondering if there's a list somewhere of the landmark studies and/or major guidelines (like JNC 7, ATP III, etc) that are good to know for 3rd year/life.

I'm at a place where the attendings LOVE the evidence-based stuff, and I always get pimped on it. Just once I'd like to be able to say "oh yeah! I did hear about that trial where they found out blah blah blah"

Problem is I never know about such papers until an attending brings it up. I have no clue how to go about finding these landmark papers on my own (aside from sifting through a million pubmed articles, which would still be futile because I'd have no idea what to look for or how to recognize a landmark study when I see it). How do you guys do it? Is there a list?

Hope this helps

https://sites.google.com/a/pcom.edu/pcommed/landmark-articles

www.guidelines.gov

Another thing would be to go to NEJM every couple of month & check their review articles. They usually have 1-2 articles talking about a particular disease from start to finish......PE, CKD stage IV, Transverse myelitis etc. This helps when you have to present something. I usually type up a summary of the article & email the article & the summary to my account (or use dropbox) since you will be reading the SAME articles multiple times during school & residency

Last edited:
      About the Ads
      This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
      2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
      3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
      4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
      5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
      6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
      7. This thread is locked.