Laptop for Med School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I have a laptop but I don't want to bring it to class.

Are laptops needed literally at school or can I leave it at home?
Depends on the school. I never bring my laptop to school, but we have libraries with computer labs so it really doesn't matter. Some schools may require bringing laptops for anatomy modules, histology, etc.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Get the new surface pro 3 in a month, it'll be a lot better and have more support, active digitizer, detachable keyboard, and lighter than a MacBook Air with more powerful components. Stay the heck away from vaio. Never ever lasts.

The Surface Pro 3 looks great, but is it a good idea to get a tablet for medical school? Also, I hear people are complaining about the N-trig pen?

The Surface Pro 3 looks great, but is it a good idea to get a tablet for medical school? Also, I hear people are complaining about the N-trig pen?

From my research (reading blogs/reviews and watching youtube videos; no actual personal use due to reasons in my previous post), the n trig pen is totally fine for taking notes, but the wacom pen is better if you're trying to create art like digital paintings or whatever. I haven't heard of any complaints about the n trig but who knows.

Members don't see this ad :)
Get the new surface pro 3 in a month, it'll be a lot better and have more support, active digitizer, detachable keyboard, and lighter than a MacBook Air with more powerful components. Stay the heck away from vaio. Never ever lasts.

I like what I'm seeing about the surface pro 3! Thanks for the suggestion.

I have a surface tablet and it's great. Almost a substitute for a laptop but it is tiring to type after a while.

It's the best in terms of annotation on materials and digital notes.

That said, I also have a decent gaming laptop and a old desktop...

I have a surface tablet and it's great. Almost a substitute for a laptop but it is tiring to type after a while.

It's the best in terms of annotation on materials and digital notes.

That said, I also have a decent gaming laptop and a old desktop...

Can you use any keyboard with it or does it have to be the one specifically made for it? I'm not going to have any other computer but I'll have access to my school's computer lab if need be.

I think I'm going to go ahead and pre-order the Surface Pro 3. Hopefully it's not backordered or something upon its release date and hopefully it has no major unforseen problems. And I'm reallyyy hoping I can return that Vaio to Best Buy even though I installed apps on it and whatnot.

Macs have unparalleled battery life that has only been boosted by mavericks. I think the MacBook Air has something like 15 hrs of battery.

It is certainly more expensive, but I price I personally think is worth it. The MBA has no real close competitor on the market at all.

I believe the Mac/PC split at my school is something on the order of 95:5. Take that as you will too.

Buch of snooty wanna be trendy rich kids.

Can you use any keyboard with it or does it have to be the one specifically made for it? I'm not going to have any other computer but I'll have access to my school's computer lab if need be.

I think I'm going to go ahead and pre-order the Surface Pro 3. Hopefully it's not backordered or something upon its release date and hopefully it has no major unforseen problems. And I'm reallyyy hoping I can return that Vaio to Best Buy even though I installed apps on it and whatnot.
If you got money - get surface 3 with a backlit type keyboard.

I honest would only get the 1st or 2nd generation (after 3 comes out next month) since there's almost no difference.

Yes - you have to but specific keyboard which costs between 45-129$ (old/new). But it is extremely worth it. Must get type cover NOT touch!!!

You can use a USB keyboard if you want, but for the click on keyboard (google "type cover surface pro 3"), you have to buy theirs. Highly recommend the type cover for convenience if nothing else. There might also be type covers with extra battery that you could look into, but it claims 9 hrs of use with the built in battery and reviews seem to support that.

I read a lot about different computers on these forums so I thought I'd just post some input. I had it narrowed down between the Lenovo ThinkPad Yoga and the Sony Vaio 13 because each was an ultrabook tablet/laptop hybrid and each had the active digitizer pen for taking notes, although they each use different technologies (Lenovo uses the Wacom pen and Sony the N-trig pen). I decided to get the Sony Vaio because it was on sale at my local Best Buy and if I bought it through Best Buy I could purchase their damage warranty/tech support plan. I couldn't find the Lenovo ThinkPad Yoga in any stores around me, and I was actually going to order it from their website before I ended up buying the Vaio, but once I started adding the options I wanted (Core i5 and the screen that read the digitizer pen input), it started to get really expensive (around $1,350) while the Sony was $1,099 at Best Buy (still expensive, I know).

So I've had the Sony Vaio a week and I've learned Windows 8.1 and I've read about the cons of it online, which seem to be that it has a noisy fan and the wifi is a little weak. I agree that the fan is slightly noisy but it's really not that big of a deal to me (just sounds like airflow) and the wifi I think is a little weak sometimes (which made me think I might return it to Best Buy originally). But the thing that has been annoying me is I can't find the n-trig digitzer stylus ANYWHERE. It's sold out of the Sony site, Best Buy, everywhere. There are a couple used ones on sale on Amazon and eBay but they're like $60+ with no guarantee. I called Sony to ask when they might get them back in stock and the person on the phone told me that Sony actually sold their Vaio line and they're no longer manufacturing them and so they're no longer manufacturing the stylus either. I think that's really odd. Why would they create this computer that has this digitizer technology if they're not going to continue manufacturing the one thing needed to take advantage of it? I'm sketched out by the whole thing and by Sony selling the whole line (although the employee said that they'll still have customer support for it), so I'm thinking about returning the computer back to Best Buy. I have one more week in which to make this decision. I'm annoyed because I spent like two hours today customizing the computer settings, but I guess at least I know now how to use Windows 8.1.

Soo, now I'm thinking about going ahead and getting the Lenovo ThinkPad Yoga and hoping that it lasts long enough to justify the price. My fears are that without buying it from a big box store where I can go talk to someone face-to-face, I won't be able to get a response or help if the computer has a problem. Does anyone have any insight on the responsiveness and helpfulness of the Lenovo tech support line? I also can't find the Lenovo ThinkPad Yoga sold anywhere other than the Lenovo site--is there a reason why the electronics stores don't carry it? Has anyone with this computer had any problems?

I'm not a big tech person so I don't know a lot about this stuff. I don't make big purchases very often so I've spent a lot of weeks researching the best computer to get that will hopefully last me all through med school and beyond. For those of you who have the Sony Vaio or have tech support experience, do you think it'll be fine if I just buy the expensive n-trig pen from Amazon or eBay and hope it all works fine?

I actually just bought the Thinkpad Yoga and I love it. I was worried about the cost too, but I found it at the Microsoft store for a lot cheaper than the Lenovo website, especially if you use a student discount. Here is a link to it: http://www.microsoftstore.com/store...en-2-in-1---Intel-Core-i5/productID.295784300. It comes with the digitizer pen, which writes really well. I've had this laptop about a month and it's worked great so far!

Re: Tablet for med school, on the plus side, it has an intel core i3, i5 or i7 processor (you can choose). It also runs full windows 8.1. So, on the inside this thing is a laptop, and can do just about anything any other ultraportable laptop could. If you plan on doing some processing or graphics intense things (gaming, video/audio editing and mixing, etc) then it's probably not the best choice and you should get a more tricked out (and bulkier) gaming laptop. But, if you just plan on watching movies, taking notes, and doing normal computery stuff (you can load any programs onto it), it's a great choice compared to say a MacBook Air, with stronger components and a digitizer pen.

Agreed with surface pro. A lot of people have used them and they look very solid and light.

Sent from my BNTV600 using Tapatalk