Laptop for Med School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shibby1111

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Starting med school this august. I know there are threads out there about laptops but these things change from year to year. Anything worth investing in? Anything I should avoid? Do a lot of people bring their laptop to class or use paper? what size screen? Other thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Most people at my school bring their MacBook Air or iPad to class. It's mostly personal preference since either works fine.

I don't think it matters much, essentially all you need is a Web browser and an office suite. Go light, fast, and get a lot of storage for those lecture recordings and notes/exams.

Sent from my PG86100 using SDN Mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
Starting med school this august. I know there are threads out there about laptops but these things change from year to year. Anything worth investing in? Anything I should avoid? Do a lot of people bring their laptop to class or use paper? what size screen? Other thoughts?

get something that will last (a quality laptop), don't rely solely on tablets without real operating systems (i.e, IOS, android) and make sure your computer has a solid state drive, get something that's portable (13.3 inches is ideal, IMO)

get something that will last (a quality laptop), don't rely solely on tablets without real operating systems (i.e, IOS, android) and make sure your computer has a solid state drive, get something that's portable (13.3 inches is ideal, IMO)

Thanks. Why solid state drive? I am hesitant because they are relatively new and I don't want to be a guinea pig. However, I am not a computer guy, so I am open to convincing.

Also, what brands should I go for? I am also big on external monitors. I have a ~20 inch external monitor, thinking about getting a 2nd external monitor, and want a lap top that can accommodate.

Solid state drives are incredibly fast. You can be ready to go in about 30 seconds from a cold boot and you can use it within 5 seconds from sleep mode (conservative estimates).

i think new surface pro from microsoft is the best one out there now. it is a tablet, that does everything a laptop does, is powerful enough, windows 8, very portable, stylus works great, the only downside is the price (1200 with keyboard and 128gb) and somewhat short battery life (4 hrs)

Laptops do have greater capabilities, but I would manage your finances so you can get a tablet or at least a very light laptop IF you find you need it. I'm quite petite, and it started to be a pain to lug a full size laotop around within a day or two and my battery barely lasted through the day(our lecture hall has few power outlets). Bought an iPad as soon as my first loan check came in, and don't regret it.

This is a question that gets asked many times every year, but I think the only consensus you're going to get is that you shouldn't buy some junk consumer-line PC. Go with a business class Dell or Lenovo, a Mac of some kind, or an iPad (or non-Mac equivalent). I personally wouldn't recommend a tablet, for they're not really all that useful in med school, especially with iPads in the mix. I'm also not really a Mac fan since you're just paying extra money for...well, nothing, but at least you're buying a good product. A Lenovo ThinkPad would be my choice.

Screen size is purely a preference matter, and if your school is like most, writing notes on paper is going to be painfully difficult due to pace and also unnecessary due to having the lecture slides.

i think new surface pro from microsoft is the best one out there now. it is a tablet, that does everything a laptop does, is powerful enough, windows 8, very portable, stylus works great, the only downside is the price (1200 with keyboard and 128gb) and somewhat short battery life (4 hrs)

the surface pro is a really impressive piece of hardware, but as you said it is pricey. also 10" is a bit small for my tastes.

If you wait until the summer before school starts, Haswell laptops should start shipping and current Ivy Bridge laptops should drop in price. Either way, you will get either longer battery life (Haswell) or cheaper laptops (Ivy Bridge).

You have a few choices to make:

OS: Windows or Mac? Mac's tend to have the aluminum unibody with the best touchpads and extremely good battery life. However, they will never have touchscreens, they have a price premium, and upgrading them is nigh-impossible. They also overcharge for additional space on their solid-state drives. HOWEVER, Mac's have TERRIFIC resale values.

Form factor: Standard or Ultrabook/slim? Standard laptops are >1inch thick when closed. Ultrabooks/slim MacBook Airs are <0.8 inch thick and much lighter. The tradeoff is in ports: Ultrabooks/MBA tend not to have Ethernet, VGA-out, more limited in SD slots, HDMI-out, USB3.0/2.0, and Thunderbolt/eSATA capability. They will definitely not have a DVD-drive (not that I have ever NEEDED to used one in over five years, and external USB ones are like $25).

Battery Life: You can choose between full-fledged Core processor or an itty-bitty Atom. Atom's tend to let you browse the Internet for 7-9 hours. Core processors are between 3.5 to 5.5 hours, depending on battery size and optimization. The difference, of course, is tremendous, with Core processors being about 4-8 times more powerful than an Atom (and will require a fan). The Surface Pro actually has a fan inside (it's just very hard to hear).

Touch or non-touch: If you're getting a Windows laptop, you will most likely get Windows 8 (which I recommend) for its quick boot-up time and slimmer, more optimized OS. There are a lot of touch-functionalities in Windows 8 which are pretty much useless without a touchscreen... not to mention casual games and the fun of browsing with a touchscreen. Therefore, you definitely SHOULD get a laptop with a touchscreen if you're getting Windows 8. If you want to save on money and get Windows 7, your laptop screen will most likely suck and be some version of twisted nematics... these don't make for good touchscreens, and nor does the hardware underneath warrant the ~$100 premium of a touchscreen.

Choices:
-To pick an Apple, go to Apple.com, Craigslist, or http://www.portableone.com/. I tend to like discounts, and portableone has good discounts (I got my Vaio Duo from there).

-To pick an Ultrabook, use http://ultrabooknews.com/product-list/ and notebookcheck.net to review the Ultrabooks, then go to Google or your local store to get a deal.

-To pick a cheap laptop, Lenovo tend to have the lowest build quality but the most bang for your bucks. There are Lenovo discounts everywhere. Google "Lenovo Barnes and Nobles Gold" to get an "exclusive" 3% discount. HP and Dell tend to have terrible build quality, but their business lines of laptop have good support. Acer and Asus have horrible support. Sony has pricey, but effective support, especially if you buy their Made-in-Japan line (Vaio Z, Vaio Duo).

--

When all is said and done, you can't pay me to use a Mac. My current laptop is a Vaio Duo 11 with touchscreen, 9 hours battery life (extended battery slice), 8GB RAM, Core i7 1.9Ghz, and 256GB of solid-state storage. I can play games like casual games, touch games, SC2, or World of Warcraft, make presentations, do random Internet **** on it. I can connect two USB 3.0 flash drives and transfer files extremely quick. I can take my ExamSoft tests with a touchscreen, and I can study ON MY BED, while LYING DOWN due to its small form factor. But, it's personal preference: There is no mouse touchpad, and the price is >$1200 (for that, you can get a completely profession Surface Pro, or Acer Aspire S7, or even an Asus Transformer Book). If I could, though, I would resell it and get a Lenovo Helix when that gets released in a month or so (but PC's have terrible resale value).

But, like 75% of the med students I see use a Mac. A Mac would also do everything you need done in med school, and med students aren't the most technological of college students. Considering financial difficulties, it's pretty easy to resell a Mac and upgrade in a year or so, too.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just got my 13 inch Mac Air (refurb). I love it so far. I highly recommend it. I think it will be good for medical school b/c it's portable, sexy and has a decent battery life. I might purchase a refurbished ipad mini before school starts so I can maybe read/study things on the go or like on treadmill.

But seriously 90% of students at my school have Macs. I saw the same trend when I was visiting other schools.

i cannot stand macs. I must have both backspace and delete button. not having both would be just as annoying as not being able to turn a steering wheel both directions. that one point alone is what has prevented me from buying a mac all these years.

Last edited:
Cheap. Not necessarily a bad thing, but don't expect much longevity out of it.

Sent from my Nexus 7

I have this laptop. I bought a $50 small speakers that plug into the sound jack from best buy because the speakers are kind of horrendous (unless you use headphones, or the speakers like I said, which is fine). It's really cheap, it's definitely fast enough, and I'm pretty happy with it. I'm expecting it to last until I can actually buy a laptop with my own money lol

edit: It has a pretty long battery life for non-macs which is a big plus

i cannot stand macs. I must have both backspace and delete button. not having both would be just as annoying as not being able to turn a steering wheel both directions. that one point alone is what has prevented me from buying a mac all these years.

fn + delete = windows delete key. Took me a while to get use to it, but it's second nature now.

It's all in what you like. If you like Macs, get one. If you don't, there are plenty of good PCs out there.

I switched from PC to Mac after owning a Lenovo for several years and I'm happier with it. Either one will serve you perfectly well in medical school / health care.

Probably 3/4 of my class had macs.

I find them to be overpriced hunks of junk. I had a desktop built for me, dual monitors, and a small netbook for class for less than a refurb mac.

Probably 3/4 of my class had macs.

I find them to be overpriced hunks of junk. I had a desktop built for me, dual monitors, and a small netbook for class for less than a refurb mac.

Considering most people only need a web browser and a word processor, the whole debate between mac/PC is meaningless. I can say this though, there are a lot more educational tools, and research freeware developed for PC, but a good amount is cross compatible (Java, web-apps).

All that aside, even though macs are expensive, and not particularly competitive in terms of hardware, they cant be beat for longevity. I have never owned a PC that didn't start to crap out after two years. My macs on the other hand have trucked along for nearly ten, no major issues, and no significant system lag.

You can buy a high-end PC and get a lot of the same benefits as on a mac: upgraded hardware, better cooling systems, metal body chasis. But the OS makes a huge difference in the long term.

Now that Jobs is gone though, apple has really taken a dump on their customers (Buggy OS releases, no significant hardware advances, etc.)

Any body use a chromebook pixel?

Cheap. Not necessarily a bad thing, but don't expect much longevity out of it.

Sent from my Nexus 7

I have this laptop. I bought a $50 small speakers that plug into the sound jack from best buy because the speakers are kind of horrendous (unless you use headphones, or the speakers like I said, which is fine). It's really cheap, it's definitely fast enough, and I'm pretty happy with it. I'm expecting it to last until I can actually buy a laptop with my own money lol

edit: It has a pretty long battery life for non-macs which is a big plus

Would it be reasonable to expect this to last through med school, or no? The other option I was thinking about was a ThinkPad T430 (probably just the base model with no upgrades), but it's a bit pricier.

Idk. I'm expecting it to. I've almost had it for a couple years and haven't had a single problem with it. Maybe it'll crap out soon? lol. It's really cheap for laptops. Not a bad deal in my opinion- and best of all, it's not a ****ing mac

So... I know absolutely NOTHING about computers. This is my disclaimer for all of the possibly (probably) idiotic questions I ask below.

I want to set up a dual monitor between my laptop (which I will take to class everyday) and a big desktop monitor. If 2 computers are connected in this way, can I disconnect/reconnect my laptop with ease? Or is all the wiring etc too much of a hassle.

Right now I'm using a crappy Dell that is so slow. I want to buy a new laptop (about 13'') & desktop monitor (about 23'' or bigger? I want to watch movies on it, in my free time). PCs preferably, to save on $$. Which sites offer reliable reviews on laptops and monitors? Cnet? Pcmag? Pcworld? Consumerreports? I care most about SPEED.

Lastly, I know med students do a lot of printing. Should I use an inkjet printer or a laser printer? I've never had a laser printer, but I love printing at the school library because laser printers are SO fast. I've heard toner is more expensive than ink though? I really prefer to have a hardcopy of my notes/powerpoints... I'm an oldie.

Thank you :love:

Nick, when you mentioned it was cheap, were you referring to the price or the build quality/reliability of the computer?

Macbook Pro. 13 inches. You won't ever regret it. I'm graduating in a month from medical school and mine still runs like it's the first day and the battery is still good enough to watch a 3 hour movie in HD while flying to interviews on the opposite coast.

No brainer!

Nick, when you mentioned it was cheap, were you referring to the price or the build quality/reliability of the computer?

Both. The PC in that link is a great value considering the hardware, however you absolutely get what you pay for when it comes to pre-built PCs in my opinion. I'm by no means a Mac fanboy (see sig) and agree that they are extremely overpriced, however the build quality is excellent and Apple absolutely stands by its product. Same with most other top-of-the-line machines. You start getting into trouble when you get into those budget PCs (which I would define as anything less than $700-800). Definitely not saying that you're guaranteed to run into problems, but in my experience things like fan failures, overheating, hard disk failures, etc. occur more often. My girlfriend has a POS Toshiba that is only a few years old and is barely usable. Sure, it probably only cost $600, but it's almost useless now. Meanwhile, my $1700 Lenovo is built like a tank and with the exception of some wear and tear still performs as if it were new. My PC easily has a few more years of quality life left in it.

Sent from my Nexus 7

Hmm....certainly things to keep in mind. I really don't want to spend a bunch of money on a laptop; I'm trying to strike a balance between price (it would be great to spend less than $750 if possible), but I certainly understand the need to be wary when delving into that price range.

I've shopped around a bit more, and found these:

Lenovo IdeaPad Z580: Seems like a solid machine with good reviews.

Lenovo IdeaPad Z400 Touch: A touch screen would be sweet; couldn't find much about it online.

I also was thinking about the Lenovo IdeaPad U510 Ultrabook, but it seems to have some pretty consistent wifi/mousepad/build issues. Liked the size and SSD, though.

I could buy all of these at Costco. Now, they are obviously pre-built but seem to have surprisingly decent specs at a good price. Also, Costco's return policy is pretty awesome...I could bring the computer back broken in half and they'd probably still take it. Any thoughts?

Last edited:
Whatever allows you go webstream your classes from your bed most effectively.

I worked as a computer repair tech in the past.

Screen size is pretty irrelevant, with the current form factor (including size and weight) and performance of computers.

When it comes to screens, I would focus more on screen resolution and how easy it is to read on a laptop. Since all of your books, at least from MS-1 to MS-4 probably have digitalized text, you will probably be doing a lot of reading on your iPad/Laptop. There is a positive correlation between screen resolution and how fast you can read. Obviously the faster you can read the material the better off you are in medical school.

So, a retina display would be advantageous in that respect. If you get an iPad, get a retina display. There is no reason not to. It is so much easier to read on it.

I have seen so many crappy displays on expensive $1000+ HPs and Dells while setting up brand new computers, so be careful. A "nice screen" is a more subjective feature that should be paid attention to, once the technical specifications of the computer are deemed as acceptable.

Other more subjective features include form factor (size and weight) and battery life. Obviously portability is going to be essential in medical school, so form factor is a big deal. Battery life has to be "acceptable", but make sure you know how to set "power consumption" features on any operating system that you are going to use.

Laptop failure rates by brand http://www.squaretrade.com/htm/pdf/SquareTrade_laptop_reliability_1109.pdf (See page 6)

Needless to say, I don't recommend getting an HP or a Gateway/Acer (same manufacturer, different brands).

When I was working in tech, about 1.5 years ago, ASUS computers were the best value for the dollar, when it can to performance (actual hardware). It may be different now, but keep this in mind. I would not worry about being "cheap", just get whatever would make you happy and what you would want to work with.

Also, if you break the screen/LCD fails or the motherboard fails, the value of the repair will likely exceed the value of the laptop. So keep this in mind.

Any warranty on a laptop from Apple does not cover accidental damage, which makes the warranty fairly useless. Best Buy warranties (where I used to work at) are not favorable to med students, even if they cover accidental damage. If your laptop needs warranty service from Best Buy/Geek Squad, it HAS to go to the service center, which means you will be without a laptop for 2 weeks.

If you chose to get a warranty, Squaretrade is probably your best bet. A warranty on a laptop (and iPads, for that matter) can end up pretty useless without accidental damage, so keep this in mind. DC jacks (where the power charger connects to the computer) shifting/moving around, keys falling off a keyboard, are all considered accidental damage in the computer repair industry.

Writing with an iPad can be a challenge, for some people. There is no place to rest your wrist, so writing can be awkward. I have a case with a huge bezel (that I can rest my wrist on) so writing is not challenging and or awkward. It is called the Lifepoof nuud case. It is expensive, but worth it. You can get it at Best Buy, test it out, and if for some reason it doesn't work out, you can return it.

For a stylus, I use to Pogo Connect pen. I like it, although there may be a better stylus out there than when I purchased it in December 2012. It is similar to writing on a dry erase board.

Finding an app that works well for taking notes may take some time. I use an app that allows me to zoom in and out. It also syncs with Dropbox and other cloud storage.

You have to practice writing on an iPad before ever taking notes in class. You cannot just break out your iPad and stylus for the first time in class and expect to take notes proficiently, no matter how ideal your setup is.

I also have a multifunction printer with a scanner (Canon MX892). Since I am an undergrad and not all of my books are in digitalized text, I sometimes have to scan my books. I do it about a week before the semester starts.

I get the books cheaply from wherever. Once they come in the mail, I go to Kinko's to get the spines cut off the books for like $1 each.

I have my scanner set on a desk and I just watch movies while scanning the book, page by page, on the platen. I scan in 600 DPI (in color, if the book is in color) and directly in to PDF (my scanner offers this) on to a flash drive. I scan about 10 pages at a time per file and then combine them later using Adobe Acrobat Pro on a computer. I only use Adobe to combine the files, because the scans turn out so well.

Scanning the first 100 pages can be arduous, but after that, you get used to it.

I do not use the automatic document feeder because the pages can end up skewed or the pages can get jammed in the feeder. Also, the quality is much higher when scanned on the platen.

Get the ink cheaply off of ebay.

If you get a Macbook Air, make sure to upgrade the RAM before you purchase the computer, because if you don't, you will never be able to upgrade the RAM in the future. There are a very limited amount of slots for RAM on the Air. This is not the case with the Macbook Pro. Keep this in mind.

Anyways, I hate paper and bulk. Although I take virtually all of my notes on my iPad, I always carry a notebook with me. I also do my (engineering) homeworks on paper, which typically takes less time (I make mistakes and I have to erase a lot-harder to do on an iPad).

You may think I am crazy for scanning my books, but I really hate bulk. The less I have to carry, the better.

I forgot one thing. Get a big, PORTABLE hard drive. It's like $80 at most.

Learn how to do an image back up for whatever operating system you end up with (Windows, OS X). Use Youtube to figure it out.

Although it takes a long time to back up stuff (at least on OS X), it will save you grief if your computer ever were to fail.

Flash drives are suitable for backing up work you have done in the short-term, that you have not backed up yet with the "image back up".

Last edited by a moderator:
yeah, you're gonna have problems with battery life, and it's heavy

Try to get one with an SSD (Solid State Drive), unless you are on a big budget.

You will not want extra bulk.

It also saves battery.

Unless you are downloading non-stop, you will probably not need a 750 GB hard drive.

With a computer that large, with a hard drive, you would probably want at least a 9-cell (extended) battery. That also adds more weight.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for your input, moco. That's helpful.

Do you have any experience with the Lenovo Z400 Touch or Z580?

Thanks for your input, moco. That's helpful.

Do you have any experience with the Lenovo Z400 Touch or Z580?

You're welcome.

I have no experience whatsoever with the current Lenovos, unfortunately.

However, the 3-year failure rate for the Lenovo brand computer is on that link in the previous post.

Ive had a lot of problem with my Macbook Air, its a few months new, haven't had the time to get it checked by a pro yet. But my husband has the retina display pro, and it isn't too heavy very light actually, and never has an issue quite perfect for podcasts, multimedia while running a zillion other things. SO I recommend that.

Note it is not cheap, his cost us a pretty 2700 I think

For me, since I study best at libraries and cafe's, I want a laptop with the highest mobility. This means the best battery life, a solid state hard drive, and the lightest laptop. Reliability is also good - it would suck to get the blue screen in the middle of studying for an exam. The macbook air 13 inch or the macbook pro 13 inch with SSD seem to be the best laptops that fit my need in considering a new computer for when I start school in August.

I recently bought a 11 inch acer chromebook and I can't stand the tiny keyboard. Even though it's really lightweight, mobile, and cheap ($200), you can't install microsoft office on it, which sucks for productivity and studying purposes.

I also have a 13 inch macbook that had the harddrive crap out on me after 4 years, and crapped out again after a few months with a bigger hard drive. I installed a solid state hard drive in there and my life has been so much better. It's much quieter, more able to resist physical shock (important for my nomadic lifestyle), faster to move files around, saves more battery life, and lighter weight.

Whichever laptop you choose, make sure it's functional for what you need out of it: studying. If you are considering a powerful laptop with an awesome video card and giant screen, you might have to sacrifice battery life and mobility in weight for that, something that may be counter-productive to what function you want out of it. Get a desktop for things like that.

The surface is pretty awesome. I'm rocking the RT right now in combination with my laptop. I bring the RT to class for notes and anything I need to do on the go and use my laptop as more of my stationary homework/entertainment stuff (my laptop is 16" and the opposite of portable haha).

From reading a lot of previous "what computer should I buy" threads, most people have said the lenovo x220T or x230T
or
the macbook air or macbook pro retina

I have a macbook pro 13 inch but its got something wrong so im suing my brothers asus zenbook and this thing is NICE...i think it gives the MBA a run for the money.

I feel that for medical school you will be needing a computer that is light, has a great screen, and long battery life. You dont need the a computer with a "powerful" gpu.
I am going to get the retina macbook pro 15 inch only because I want a laptop that i know will last me the 4 years of medical school (and beyond). It also is very lightweight, large/amazing screen and great battery. It also has an hdmi port which is something i must have! It also looks great and has industry leading build quality. I have also been saving up for a long time as it is very pricy!!

it all comes down to your preference. If you like windows, then get a tablet hybird with w8 other wise i think a MBA or rMBP is the best choice!

Most of the schools I interviewed at told you what to buy. You didn't have much for options...they wanted uniformity between students which makes sense because they don't want to troubleshoot why 100 different computer models didn't handle the sim software or university software correctly.

Get the Surface Pro. Don't fall for the iPad hype as the pro is amazing!

Or get the iPad if you don't enjoy windows. The Surface Pro is $900 without the keyboard cover (an additional $130). Too expensive for a non-laptop replacement IMO.

Or get the surface pro if you want a tablet that is meant for REAL LIFE rather than just playing games and having fun. :p:p

The note taking is awesome. And the writing recognition system on it is really good. The apps are a little behind but it's just starting and it'll be full like apple in due time. But the good thing is that its a tablet and pc in one so if you cant get the app for it you can just d/l the software. 10% off if your a student :thumbup:. Apple doesn't care if you're a student or not :thumbdown:

Yeah, because no one has EVER been productive on an iPad...

The Surface is a decent laptop replacement if you find Windows 8 useful. For someone looking to supplement their laptop, a tablet (iPad or android based) is a better/cheaper option.

Last edited:
I don't think tablets should be your primary system in med school. They might be a good toy to have on the side to help you review, but at least for me they aren't great tools for note taking. For that reason the Pro might seem better, but that little keyboard add-on doesn't make it a true laptop. In my opinion you need a real keyboard. But that may just be the way I input notes, everyone is different.

Also have to make sure it matches whatever specs your school has, like I need a 12" screen or larger, and 250GB or larger, and ethernet connectivity.

I don't think tablets should be your primary system in med school. They might be a good toy to have on the side to help you review, but at least for me they aren't great tools for note taking. For that reason the Pro might seem better, but that little keyboard add-on doesn't make it a true laptop. In my opinion you need a real keyboard. But that may just be the way I input notes, everyone is different.

Also have to make sure it matches whatever specs your school has, like I need a 12" screen or larger, and 250GB or larger, and ethernet connectivity.

I agree. Nothing can beat a real sized laptop keyboard.

what does everyone think of the Samsung Series 9 ultrabook?