Laptop size

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doctorinthehouse_

It's a beautiful day to save lives!
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
13" or 15" laptop for Med school? My laptop will be used to take exams and study, etc. if I get the 13" I will buy a larger monitor to plug into at home.

Members don't see this ad.

I used a 13" MacBook Pro for the most part (the old non-retina version). It's much easier to carry around and it gets the job done just fine, especially if you do have a large display at home to plug into. Plus, it's a lot cheaper and if you're not into video editing or gaming, the extra horse power that comes with the bigger version isn't really necessary. It might be a little different regarding the non-apple-market. I now use a 12" Lenovo thinkpad, and at least for the thinkpad series the smaller versions usually are the more expensive ones.

Reactions: 1 user
13"!!! 15 is just too big and bulky to carry around. Typing is fine, and the screen's even fine if you don't have a monitor, unless you're 70 years old and blind as a bat. :)

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks! That's what I was thinking. Portability is important and the price difference is huge so I'd rather save the money anyway

I personally use an 9 in iPad air and a 13 in macbook pro. They're all good sizes.

Regarding portability, honestly, you're not a business man walking through half of the city with a laptop in your hand bag. Having a 10 pound gaming laptop won't kill you either if that's what you need.

I personally use an 9 in iPad air and a 13 in macbook pro. They're all good sizes.

Regarding portability, honestly, you're not a business man walking through half of the city with a laptop in your hand bag. Having a 10 pound gaming laptop won't kill you either if that's what you need.

I don't game at all the 15" was strictly for the screen real estate

not in med school yet.. but for me personally the argument of it weighing more (what like a pound or two at most?) and being bulkier is not really a detractor. i would prefer the extra screen space. do you really notice a difference when you are carrying around a 13" laptop vs a 15" one? of course in the end it doesn't really matter. it's all preference and if someone made me use a 13" it would take like 20 minutes to get used to it and be fine with it.

but if i had the choice i would pick the 15 again.

not in med school yet.. but for me personally the argument of it weighing more (what like a pound or two at most?) and being bulkier is not really a detractor. i would prefer the extra screen space. do you really notice a difference when you are carrying around a 13" laptop vs a 15" one? of course in the end it doesn't really matter. it's all preference and if someone made me use a 13" it would take like 20 minutes to get used to it and be fine with it.

but if i had the choice i would pick the 15 again.
Problem is I'll be traveling a lot on breaks (fam lives 3000 miles away) so it'll be easier with a smaller computer to lug around an airport and vacation etc

You can get the Dell XPS 15, a 15 inch screen in a 13 inch laptop footprint...they eliminated the bezels, making the laptop much smaller.

The XPS 13 is roughly the same size as the Macbook Air 11".

I don't game at all the 15" was strictly for the screen real estate
Problem is I'll be traveling a lot on breaks (fam lives 3000 miles away) so it'll be easier with a smaller computer to lug around an airport and vacation etc

My point was in reference to the fact that gaming computers are the stereotypical heavy computer. You're acting like you're honestly going to be holding it on top of your head all day. My backpack with my laptop is on my back all of about 20-30 minutes when you're at an airport ( I.e checking in, sitting down, flying, and then getting out to get picked up). It's simply a non issue for the most part.

That being said just get a 13 inch.

It is helpful to have a decent screen size in your clinical years because you might need to keep multiple windows open (some people even use two monitors - one for EMR/images/patient stuff). For rounds many students use an iPad mini because of the size.

Members don't see this ad :)
You can get the Dell XPS 15, a 15 inch screen in a 13 inch laptop footprint...they eliminated the bezels, making the laptop much smaller.

The XPS 13 is roughly the same size as the Macbook Air 11".

OP, have you ever used a 13" size laptop? It's very manageable for school, not small at all. What is your budget? I went laptop shopping this winter and the Dell XPS 13 is consistently #1 on most review sites. Deals out there (most recently President day's sale), dropped the XPS 13" non-touch/QHD version down to about $700 before taxes. I'm sure it's back up to around $800 right now, though. I went with an Asus UX305CA for personal reasons.

The specs you get combined with the form factor is unparalleled for its price. It has a form factor of Macbook Air like mathnerd88 said, because the bezel on the screen is super narrow. If you don't have to get a Mac, I highly recommend the XPS 13 or 15 depending on budget. I don't want to talk specs of the XPS unless you want to.

Last edited:
OP, have you ever used a 13" size laptop? It's very manageable for school, not small at all. What is your budget? I went laptop shopping this winter and the Dell XPS 13 is consistently #1 on most review sites. Deals out there (most recently President day's sale), dropped the XPS 13" non-touch/QHD version down to about $700 before taxes. I'm sure it's back up to around $800 right now, though. I went with an Asus UX305CA for personal reasons.

The specs you get combined with the form factor is unparalleled for its price. It has a form factor of Macbook Air like mathnerd88 said, because the bezel on the screen is super narrow. If you don't have to get a Mac, I highly recommend the XPS 13 or 15 depending on budget. I don't want to talk specs of the XPS unless you want to.

Thanks for all the info. I currently have the 13" MacBook air (very old) and I will be upgrading to the pro. So I'm just deciding if I should go up on the screen. In looking at them at the store I really liked the screen size on the 15 and like previous comments mention it is only 1 lb heavier.

Thanks everyone for your input!

Portability- get the small one.
A 15" badass machine that looks beautiful with retina display? go big or go home!

(((VERY happy owner of a 15" MBP with retina. I would have purchased the 17" if they still made it.)))

Portability- get the small one.
A 15" badass machine that looks beautiful with retina display? go big or go home!

(((VERY happy owner of a 15" MBP with retina. I would have purchased the 17" if they still made it.)))

Yeah I just fell in love with that giant screen!!!

I like larger screens (greater than 15") since there is more space for multiple windows. Honestly though it really doesn't matter and is just personal preference.

It honestly depends. I like portability, and I have a 34" curved screen monitor at home (where I'll be at most of the time in medical school anyways.) I don't need a large laptop screen to sacrifice portability. I would go for 13" for myself.

Anyways, it seems like many premeds have money to blow on 15" MacBook Pros...They start at $2000 and only uses the integrated graphics...You need to get the $2500 to start getting ATI Radeon. (And Nvidia graphics are way better IMO.)

You can get double the SSD drive, Nvidia graphics, and a 4k touch screen (better than even Apple's Retina because of its near-100% Adobe RGB coverage) Dell XPS 15 for $2000...which directly competes against the Macbook 15" Retina at $2500.

Last edited:
It honestly depends. I like portability, and I have a 34" curved screen monitor at home (where I'll be at most of the time in medical school anyways.) I don't need a large laptop screen to sacrifice portability. I would go for 13" for myself.

Anyways, it seems like many premeds have money to blow on 15" MacBook Pros...They start at $2000 and only uses the integrated graphics...You need to get the $2500 to start getting ATI Radeon. (And Nvidia graphics are way better IMO.)

You can get double the SSD drive, Nvidia graphics, and a 4k touch screen (better than even Apple's Retina because of its near-100% Adobe RGB coverage) Dell XPS 15 for $2000...which directly competes against the Macbook 15" Retina at $2500.

I feel like you keep following my threads just to convert me to PC. I use PC's at work and absolutely do not like them. I've used many PC laptops as well and have not liked them. I've been using a Mac for the last 5 years and will never go back to PC. I respect your opinion but it's just getting silly now. Idk why you continue to post about it. My original post was about size and that was settled. Thanks everyone.

I feel like you keep following my threads just to convert me to PC. I use PC's at work and absolutely do not like them. I've used many PC laptops as well and have not liked them. I've been using a Mac for the last 5 years and will never go back to PC. I respect your opinion but it's just getting silly now. Idk why you continue to post about it. My original post was about size and that was settled. Thanks everyone.

No idea it was even your thread. I don't read who posts...you could've posted this in your own same thread a month back instead of creating a new one again on about laptops.

I'm not going to remember who made a laptop thread a month ago and then makes a similar thread later. You know how many repetitive threads by different (or same) sdners are on here?

Last edited: